Voodoo Funk vs Austrian Reissue? Label

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited November 2016 in Strut Central
Some of you probably already heard about this...also, something tells me that 4 years ago, this would've happened here instead of on Facebook.

The Get Down here:
https://www.facebook.com/frank.gossner/posts/533990783470666

Juniorfinelikewinetrzakhstandukeofdelridge

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Oh geez, I saw that yesterday.  It's blown up!  Here's the response from l'accusé:

https://www.facebook.com/preschmedia/posts/600299713487473

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Goddamn, I miss Frank stirring up some shit and this is a mighty pot of shit stirring. 

I'm all for giving people the initial benefit of the doubt and, let's be honest here, there's probably a reason why Frank looked into them in the first place. However, even taking their defence into account, there seems to be too much smoke without some fire here (though I'm actually a little reluctant to click on a lot of these links from within an office in Germany so haven't watched any of the songs for myself....).
    dukeofdelridge

• I don't know German and didn't do the research Frank did, but my overall impression reading both guys' stuff is

a. a classic Frank diss track on par with Kon & Amir etc., although he's bringing it journalistic this time with reference citing and hardly any personal flambée

b. people are complex and it doesn't seem clear that yer man with the reissue label is just some nazi, maybe just an ex-edgelord edgy edgemaster who is now genuinely hella Christian and an honest dealer moving in on Frank's area of expertise

c. although the saltiness each of them has about "oh well did you pay so-and-so before you reissued that" just goes to show that pimpin' <3000-copy niche reissues of decades-old music from extremely populous countries without good record-keeping or copyright legalities ain't easy and I'm glad I'm not doing that for a living or even a giggle
    ketanJuniordukeofdelridge

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Duderonomykicks79

honestly though, I think Raj should swoop in there and claim the strut's ownership of Frank's international record beefs
    Junior

Karte von "Reynaldo"

• kinda took me a minute to figure out whats going on, after I read this:

http://voodoofunk.blogspot.ca/2016/11/nigerian-reissues-brown-shirts-and.html

^^ Frank pieced that together amazingly well..

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    klezmer electro-thug beats said:
    ... just goes to show that pimpin' <3000-copy niche reissues of decades-old music from extremely populous countries without good record-keeping or copyright legalities ain't easy and I'm glad I'm not doing that for a living or even a giggle...
    took it out of my mouth

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Echoes of Ye Olde Internette bubbling up! I love it. A couple of thoroughly unpleasant characters, with no true winner, but the cards are stacked against this Max guy: the first thing I read from him is level four messageboard mega-ramble, already reeking of thou dost protest 2 much bro. Could probably get by with a "LOL whatever dude yer salty I scooped ya" but when your wordcount approaches 2500 you may have lost already. If he were American there's no doubt he'd've included THE CONSTITUTION, but went with the rarely successful Born Again Christian Defense--a sympathy smartbomb implying massive instability at best. 
    He's up against Rommel, too. Frank is a beast of this shit. He's seen it all, he knows it all, and he's gonna calmly bury this fool (and his uncomfortably large family) in the desert. As KETB points out above, it looks like Frank's content to let this dude hang himself. No need to point out this cringy cut rate edge lord amateur never sipped a post-orgiac spider venom Mai-Tai in a tropical sunset hammock made from villagers' dreadlocks even once in his community college art school life: he's got a pic of the dude in a Nazi uniform. Bong bong!
    And yes, this shit needs to unfold on The Strut. 

LOL at the existence of German Vice and the "uncoolste Musik des Planeten" and Reynaldo's Map and a few more things...this has me rethinking my stance on getting rid of daylight savings time, it's been a great use of my fall back bonus hour. Excellent stuff!
    ppadilhaketanReynaldo82Duderonomyklezmer electro-thug beatsJuniorYemsky

I can actually see the nazi dude having the best of intentions when he put out the reissues and being made a fool by his nigerian fixer giving him a bunch of bullshit contracts with people who have no right to license the music, but even he must have thought something was up when he started flooding the market with reissues while other people seem to spend an eternity just to license and release one record.
    ost

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    The whole conversion to religion, the dropping of the old name, and the abandonment of his former self seems more drastic than just deciding he wasn't going to provoke anymore through his "art". It seems more indicative of someone having made a much greater philosophical switch in their life or certainly an attempt to rehabilitate a former image.
    finelikewine

• From Neo-Nazi to Born Again Afro-Jazz Mogul: My Incredible True Journey

I don't doubt that if the dude's reformed-er than fuck there'd be some similar optics to what we have here, but to me it's just as likely that he grew up a bit and cooled off the brownshirt fetish. Stopping using your pseudonym isn't that drastic - nobody complained when I stopped demanding they call me "Boog" (just kidding, I wish). And didn't Frank point out the dude's band/artist name last released in 2014?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I think people should appreciate his damascene conversion. A lot more people should undergo such a transformation, the world would be a much better place. What is there to complain about?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Now that an open racist is running one of the biggest and most powerful countries in the world, the fact that an alleged racist is running a small vinyl reissue label is quite meaningless. Isn't it?
    dukeofdelridge

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Ha!