TORONTO EH

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
Thinking of coming NOVEMBER 2017.
Is that a bad month for weather or what?  SPEAK ON IT, REMAINING STRUT.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm sure the locals on here will hip you to the requisite tog factor. When I've been there at that time it's always been a bit nippy but never proper Scott of the Antarctic. I also like it also when the cold does come in and the city goes troglodyte, although presumably less of a charming novelty if you actually live there. Appeals to my inner Womble.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    November is not our best moment as you will have missed the (f*cking gorgeous) Fall colours and the snow won't be falling yet.  So it's a chilly, barren landscape. October is waaaay better in that respect.  But apart from the weather, this city and the surroundings are always excellent IMO. You could easily eat your way through forgetting about the weather (if that makes sense). 

What's the update?  The collective we can put together an itinerary for you to make it worth your while.  And there's so much beer to be drunk.  

Like, do you people have escape rooms in your part of l'angel-terre?  A "Little Ethiopia" that melds into a "Greektown" (ifuknowwhatimsayin ... nevermind)?  Hatchet throwing w/ beer?  Chinese dumplings filled with soup?  A crack-mayor legacy?? 

• offer's already on the table from my side to spend a bit of time in my beautiful part of town:

https://www.instagram.com/parkdalelife/
    DuderonomyJimster

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Looks like October 2017 will be doable.  I'll have to see what the employment horizon is like between now and then, but I am a glass half-full on this.

We have no crack-mayor legacy here in Ye Olde Nottingham (there could be only one Rob Ford) but we do have a long history of evil Sherriffs, ghosts, a castle, horrific torture, football, more ghosts, wooded countryside and armed robbery with that dude in the green tights - Of course, should any strutter find themselves in this neck of the woods, I am happy to help.  The city is nowhere big enough to have "[insert country here]-towns" but has all manner of great beer and cuisine-ways from most corners of the planet.

Thanks to the Canuck Strut for the knowledge dropped so far.  The away team will consist of me, the Mrs and both sons (15 and 8).  Looking to spend perhaps a week in town? With the kids, it's probably not going to be one wild night after the other but I am sure we can down at least a few cold ones. We will get it sorted in advance of course.  Looking to stay city centre, in a nice hotel or apartment - suggestions welcome.  Maybe catch some sport, a gig, some nature, some vistas and shit.  Speak on it.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Chinese dumplings filled with soup

I don't know what these are like in Toronto specifically, but usually these are delicious

• late october is around the time that the MLS playoffs start, so you might not be able to catch a Toronto FC game while you're in town.  i would suggest spending bookending weekends in the downtown core of toronto, and if you can pull off a rental make the 2 hours trip up north to the muskoka region.   that will definitely fill the order of pastoral imagery so often equated with canadian life.  it would be a little cold to jump in the water, but the trip would fill you to the brim with changing colors of leaves et al.   

if i understand, son #1 is a big basketball fan..... seeing as today is the first day of the NBA season and the raptors' home opener, you would be best aligned to come on or after today's date next year.   any other sightseeing recommendations or restaurant inquires or lodging strategies you can always hit me up on the 'book.

Ya, Toronto After Dark (a GREAT horror/sci-fi film fest) is also happening mid-Oct, so there you go.  http://torontoafterdark.com/2016/

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    This is a useful reminder that I have Canadialand at the top of my list for destinations for a significant birthday milestone I hit at the end of next year.

My B'day is in December but  it sounds like October is the time to go? When does the snow hit? January?

Also, fucking off RTW for 3 months end of this year so should probably enquire about that with strutter knowledge....

• Coming to Toronto later than November should only be if you have to. I love my city but would not suggest first-time visitors come for a winter.
    Summer in Toronto, however, should be something everyone tries at least once.
    The autumn is beautiful, too. As people have pointed out, there's lots going on and even simply walking around the city on brisk sunny days is a pleasure. 
    It's an ugly city to look at but a lovely one to take in.

Not sure what we would have here food-wise that your neck of the woods wouldn't offer, but it's the neighbourhood small family places that have the best food in Toronto imo. Toronto Strutters can all fill your card with their own suggestions no doubt.
    Either way, we should organize a dinner. The last Strutter dinner I attended when Day was in town - years ago now - was a lot of fun.

Also - http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/ is out from the downtown core, but worth a visit. More geared to kids but not boring for adults.

Junior said:
    This is a useful reminder that I have Canadialand at the top of my list for destinations for a significant birthday milestone I hit at the end of next year.

My B'day is in December but  it sounds like October is the time to go? When does the snow hit? January?

Also, fucking off RTW for 3 months end of this year so should probably enquire about that with strutter knowledge....

Snow hits in January reliably.  It's usually a coin toss if we get a white christmas or not.  I agree with Bassie about the summer/autumn being the best, but I also think the snowy winter here is awesome if you like getting outside and skiing or snowshoeing etc. Just heading north to a cabin in the winter is sick too... go build a quincy and then hotbox it (okay, not with children).

Junior: Re: RTW - where are you already planning to head? 

Jimster: On a weekend, you could take the fam to Evergreen Brickworks, which is a community space in the Don Valley with an extensive trail network and a quality farmer's market on Sat/Sun.  It's still within the city and you can see the fall colours proper from there.  There's a café and other stuff to see/do, including ice skating. https://www.evergreen.ca/get-involved/evergreen-brick-works/

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    i had to google snowshoeing. i'm from a winter country as well, but i guess we just go cross country skiing instead.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Thanks Bassie and Ketan for the advice (and Jim for letting me use your thread)!

Ok then, considering I can't ski (growing-up-on-an-island-r) and am also a major fan of  autumnal colours (everything looks strangely hi-def) then I'll aim for a late summer, early autumn visit. I currently live in an ugly as hell city that nevertheless manages to continuously surprise and delight at street level so I'm all for that.

I'll see if I can schedule this for next year around the time that Jimster goes and would be very, very, up for a Strutter dinner.

Ketan, re: RTW, I'm going EVERYWHERE*. I should stop being lazy and post something up in here for all the knowledge drops. Will do that now.

*EVERYWHERE may not include all anticipated destinations.

I'll see if I can schedule this for next year around the time that Jimster goes and would be very, very, up for a Strutter dinner.
    CAN WE SPELL....

....PAR-TAY??????!?!?!?!?!1???

But like, without the broken ankles.

Or late nights  

• i'm putting $500 in escrow for any toronto soulstrut meet up as we speak.

make it so.
    ketanJimsterDuderonomy

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    I'll happily make the trek for a Strut meet up in Toronto in '17. 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    i'm putting $500 in escrow for any toronto soulstrut meet up as we speak.

That's a lot of tequila.
    Junior

i'm putting $500 in escrow for any toronto soulstrut meet up as we speak.

That's a lot of tequila.
    I think we got through about that much between us in London...

NEVER AGAIN.

PROBABLY.
    Junior