Rap You're Liking

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I always forget about Nipsey despite him barely missing a step (and Bassie championing him). His guest spot on YG's FDT was a personal highlight though and I think he often works better playing off other rappers.

This sounds very promising, will be checking out the whole album.

Finally heard Kodak Black as well. I expected little but was nicely impressed - definitely more than just a Boosie pastiche. Good shit.

Anyway, a little Shy Glizzy goes a long way for me but this is great.

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts
    I was really looking forward to the YG and find it a snoozefest. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Nipsey's Slauson Boy 2 is fire.
    I am really enjoying Young MA out of Brooklyn.
    Starlito/Don Trip - Red Dot Free
    Ciafu - They Live: Waking Dead 
    Not sure if I already mentioned Lil Kim Season? She's basically beat- and flow-jacking just to show you she can...and she can. It could have been a disaster and it's been on repeat instead.
    Weed and Instrumentals 2 has been the first Curren$y release in a string of four or five that is just ok to me, but 928 off it is on repeat.
    The whole Schoolboy Q isn't really holding me, but Black Thoughts is amazing.
    Drama/Meek/Pusha/Ty Dolla Sign - Boyz in the Hood - WOW!
    Young Thug/Travis Scott/Quavo - Pick Up the Phone Summer Jam 2016

Ace Hood has a lot of material, random hits of any of his tapes or albums will turn up a hot track or two.
    Body Bag 3, Blood, Sweat & Tears and Starvation 2 are as good as any for places to start.

Nothing about Blond(e)? Not really rap but I'll stick it in here anyway - it was worth the wait.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    bassie2 said:
    I was really looking forward to the YG and find it a snoozefest. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Nothing about Blond(e)? Not really rap but I'll stick it in here anyway - it was worth the wait.

I think the YG is a really interesting album lyrically.  The beats are good - I was surprised he managed to pull together a cohesive sound again without one hand on the rudder - but there's not as many hits as on the last album.

See the new music thraed for Blond(e)-speak.  (Love it.)

Yes, Red Dot Free is great. The Stepbrothers tracks on there are incredible. Working with Lito seems to inspire Tripp to other levels of greatness.

I'm with Ketan on the YG album, its highs aren't as high as My Krazy Life but as a complete album it's extremely well put together. I think some of its impact was lessened by tracks like Who Shot Me seeming to have been around for aeons already.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I know the track has been out for awhile, but diggin' it with the video.

DJ Shadow feat. Run The Jewels - Nobody Speak

ketan

• Rappin duke pt2

i wasn't feeling the song when i first heard it on the world wide web but that video is amazing and the song kinda knocks ost.  

What older shit are you still listening to?

bassie2 said:
    The whole Schoolboy Q isn't really holding me, but Black Thoughts is amazing.

It was definitely a grower for me musically.  i now see it as a lowkey horrorcore album... nightmare-ish music/verses for daze.

i always took Nightmare on Figg as a (harsh) diss to Kanye and Jay (see: http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.25464/title.schoolboy-q-explains-why-he-was-once-pissed-off-at-jay-z) so I was happily surprised that Ye was on the album.  

i listened to Gangsta & Soul recently (his second tape from 09) and it's sort of :doodooonastick:

• Setbacks and Habits & Contradictions are unfukwitable but he began to lose me with Oxymoron.

_____

This week's hits:

Travis Scott - BIITSM - this is a solid gold release

Esco and Rambo So Weird - Super Dumb - just like the title says, but I can't deny a catchy beat
    G-Unit - Fatality
    Dave East  - All Summer

I finally got to Spark Master Tape's Silhouette of a Sunken City and, as usual, it is terrifying and exciting.

Griselda is killing it for days.

Prodigy sounds reinvigorated on this.  

ketan said:
    What older shit are you still listening to?

Okay, maybe not still listening to.  But what do you still rate?

(sorry, bit of a youtube vortex)

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    delete

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    DOR said:

"...quicker than Trump fucks his youngest..." gave me a laugh.

DOR said:

"...quicker than Trump fucks his youngest..." gave me a laugh.
    I'd like to be happy for Mike and the success he's having with El-P but, and this is going to sound salty old dude, I just cannot get with the RTJ projects. It just generally has too much of El-P's more is more approach to production with a lack of subtlety or, in actual fact, impact. Even when the production isn't overblown we're still left with a guy shouting "Bag of Dicks" every song which is a far far way away from something like the amazing Pledge albums.

Still, if it gets him some well overdue money then I guess it can't all be bad. Just feels a bit off to me.

On a more positive note, I miss Tree producing his own stuff but this is great.

The beat on this..............

Junior said:
    The beat on this..............

I like the Tree beat, but the beat on ^that^ is the least interesting part of the song. It's ok, but without the hype lyrics (that don't really mean anything, but hey), it's not doing much for me. Maybe I need to hear it loud.

Ab has really been strong this year.  Big hopes for the next album...

Clinton vs Trump the rap edition...

(loose at best but I  wanted an excuse to post this)

So... no discussion of Shia LeBoef calling out Drake et al?

Shia for POTUS 2020 on a platform of "I like turtles".

ALC w/ Currensy and Wayne (on form btw)

These Craft Singles 7"s always sell out but there's still copes of this one available - just dropped a few hours ago!

i missed this westside gunn ep last summer.  (stayed listening to flygod all year, though.)

this is really good.

^^ The last one is the new single, which I heard earlier tonight.

"I'm a mixture of Malcolm, Big and Posdonus" is an ill line.

Love the way this delays the pay off.

And, of course, Kendrick, though I'll be damned if I can find that on Youtube.

Listening to the new Problem/Quik album ... was a bit let down by their EP last year, but this is better so far!
    Junior

ketan

feelin both of those.  

who is brent faiyaz?  is that a persian name or is it like, fiya/fire?

i'm currently listening to this:

devin acoustic is on some wyld stallynz/r&b shit.