Topic about different Vinyl pressings

Hello all!

My name is Rafael and decided to register again here after long absence , i don't remember the user name i had since it was so long ago.
And i also decided for the first time to sell some of my personal vinyl collection in Ebay . So Soul Strut is the first site i thought about announcing my listings.
But i also love to talk about music and read some of your topics and knowledge about all kinds of Soul, Jazz, Funk etc knowledge.

Anyway ive decided to make a topic about pressings of vinyl and their differences (better soundings or not), ala Steve Hoffman forum, but would like to read from the Soul Strut perspective and knowledge.

Here are some conclusions i got from different forums.

Tamla UK > Motown US
Beatles EMI UK > beats all
Original US Impulse > beats all
Miles Davis Columbia 6 Eyes and 2 Eyes >  beats all
ECM German > beats all
Atlantic mid to late 70's european pressings > beats the US pressing
CBS mid to late 70's euro pressings > beats the US Columbia pressings.

Please share more.

Comments

•   
    interesting, thanks

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Paging Pickwick33

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

•   

Miles Davis UK Esquire& Columbia > any US Columbia > beats all
    Original UK Esquire > Original UK HMV Mono and Stereo > Original US Impulse > beats all
    UK Plum Atlantic Mono > beats all

WAV --> m4a--> 320 --> anything lower D.E.L.E.T.E.
    Jimsterketan

•   

Original UK Esquire > Original UK HMV Mono and Stereo > Original US Impulse > beats all
    UK Plum Atlantic Mono > beats all

Thank you!
    Good to know

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    WHY DO YOU HATT THE FLAC ???1!!ONE?!?!

Mainly because it's not the most flexible format; can't play it in Ableton, can't burn it to CD (so I run them through a converter into WAVs).

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    Mainly because it's not the most flexible format; can't play it in Ableton, can't burn it to CD (so I run them through a converter into WAVs).
    I don't know what you use, but there's a plugin for Nero Burning rom where you can burn FLAC files onto cd. But then again, FLAC is just a container to compress WAV files.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Hey @Duderonomy whats the dealio with m4a? Why better than 320?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

I don't think this is true. Columbia owned (still does own) the master tapes for these records, Esquire was working from metal plates provided by Columbia or from copies of the master tapes that were sent to the UK. Esquires are very good but at best can only be equal to an original 6-eye, and maybe not quite as good. 

• asstro said:

I don't think this is true. Columbia owned (still does own) the master tapes for these records, Esquire was working from metal plates provided by Columbia or from copies of the master tapes that were sent to the UK. Esquires are very good but at best can only be equal to an original 6-eye, and maybe not quite as good. 
    I wasn't going on theory or speculation, i've owned for example the workin/steamin/relaxin/cookin, and all the 60's quintent albums, on US and UK. The UK have a warmer sound with a deeper bass and are on thicker vinyl, they sound much clearer, so whatever the theory on the sources, I used my ears and kept the UK copies