The Getdown (birth of hiphop/Netflix-R)

2»

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    cai said:
    DOR said:

I'm not sure why anyone would think this to be a complete 100% accurate representation of the time period. It's not a documentary...

Probably because hip hop historian Nelson George was heavily involved in making the show?

Perhaps he was "Heavily Involved" like, I dunno, those "...top men working on it right now" in Raiders.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The story in show itself makes a pretty big deal about how being true and authentic has always been important, kinda ironic really. It's not like it needs to be 100%, but the story is strong enough told straight, any additional embellishment is really a deduction. 
    kicks79

I stopped watching "Happy Days" when The Fonz bluetoothed his iphone to the jukebox (while jumping a shark on a hoverboard).

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ok. Ridiculous TV pitches. What ya got?

Airing winter 2017 on Sky One a twist on the Jack The Ripper tale, where dude is literally Hitler. No seriously. He's time traveling Adolf, hunted by time travelling Allied war heroes. We've taken that old moral question, 'If you had a time machine would you go back and kill Hitler?' and flipped it. It's April 1945 and Allied Forces are fast closing in on Nazi command. But top secret German scientists have just invented a time machine and whilst not perfected Hitler sees it as his last hope to save The Reich. So with the Russians knocking on the bunker door to evade capture he jumps in. Forces within the Allied camp are already aware the value of these German scientists and use the danger of them falling into Russian hands to pardon them and bring them to America, where they find out about the time machine and Hitler's escape. So far history has not changed so some figure Hitler failed. But leaving him out there is just not a risk others are willing to accept. Some want to try and use the machine to go back and kill young Hitler, but that's considered too drastic as we just don't know the consequences for history. But he must be stopped, so they send soldiers back to capture him but he always seems one step ahead, like he knows their moves before they make them. Then one crazy scientist believes he's found a way to use the machine to not only track Hitler through time, but tracking his very essence, his soul if you like. They think they can use this to capture his 'essence' and possibly him but it can't simply be used to bring him back because of some complicated science shit. They get close to capturing him, possibly even mortally wounding him but ultimately it fails. As a result Hitler starts quantum leaping into mass murders throughout history, attracted by their similarly evil soul profiles. So now they have to send someone back to hunt Hitler's soul down to save the world from Nazi rule, but to do it they must also hunt all these various killers, glimpses of Jack The Ripper, The Zodiac Killer, Bible John, Donald Trump etc flash across the screen. Who will he jump into next? Can they be not only be 'in time' to catch Hitler but also stop the killers?
    After 5 seasons they finally catch up with him, but it's revealed that through some time travel space time continuum inception style bullshit that time travelling Nazi Hitler was in fact killed in the original hunt. But the time machine reached out into time found the soul of young Hitler, not finding the crazy killer part of his personality it merged him into the bodies/souls of these crazed killers and made him complicit in the butchery all these hundreds of victims all across time. And it was in fact the chasing of young Hitler through time that turned him into a murderous psychopath and who started WW2. If they had just let Nazi Hitler jump back in time young Hitler would've stayed a peaceful vegetarian painter, and that was why time travelling Hitler always failed to change history and save the Reich. Boom your head explodes. 

copyright, 2016. 
    DORklezmer electro-thug beatspara11ax

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    /thread

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Okem said:
    The story in show itself makes a pretty big deal about how being true and authentic has always been important, kinda ironic really. It's not like it needs to be 100%, but the story is strong enough told straight, any additional embellishment is really a deduction. 
    Its a bit of light tv fluff. 
    I don't know why they picked Lurhman for the job. They could have produced a fatcualy correct gritty version of the story ala the wire and it would have been great.
    But they didn't. 

Okem said:
    It's April 1945 and Allied Forces are fast closing in on Nazi command. But top secret German scientists have just invented a time machine and whilst not perfected Hitler sees it as his last hope to save The Reich. So with the Russians knocking on the bunker door to evade capture he jumps in. Forces within the Allied camp are already aware the value of these German scientists and use the danger of them falling into Russian hands to pardon them and bring them to America, where they find out about the time machine and Hitler's escape.

"Chronos Commandos: Dawn Patrol

When the Allies and Nazis develop time-diving technology that could see
    World War II won by creatures from the Cretaceous, only the Sarge and his
    band of misfit soldiers can save the future -- by saving history!

Dinosaurs! Giant crocodiles! Albert Einstein with a machinegun! All that
    barely scratches the surface of this astounding, fully-painted pulp
    spectacular. Strap on your rifle, charge up your Chronosphere, and dive
    into a thrilling past both bloody and amazing!"

My brother's art and story.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Jimster said:
    Okem said:
    It's April 1945 and Allied Forces are fast closing in on Nazi command. But top secret German scientists have just invented a time machine and whilst not perfected Hitler sees it as his last hope to save The Reich. So with the Russians knocking on the bunker door to evade capture he jumps in. Forces within the Allied camp are already aware the value of these German scientists and use the danger of them falling into Russian hands to pardon them and bring them to America, where they find out about the time machine and Hitler's escape.

"Chronos Commandos: Dawn Patrol

When the Allies and Nazis develop time-diving technology that could see
    World War II won by creatures from the Cretaceous, only the Sarge and his
    band of misfit soldiers can save the future -- by saving history!

Dinosaurs! Giant crocodiles! Albert Einstein with a machinegun! All that
    barely scratches the surface of this astounding, fully-painted pulp
    spectacular. Strap on your rifle, charge up your Chronosphere, and dive
    into a thrilling past both bloody and amazing!"

My brother's art and story.

Awesome. Of coarse they should be misfit / renegade soldiers. 

I knew it was unlikely to be a wholly original idea, what with the 'time travel kill Hitler' meme being so prevalent and the concept being so obviously exploitable to a writer. But what a coincidence that you're Brother actually made that comic. Dinosaurs and machine gun Einstein are much better comicbook concepts than slowboiled murder mystery man hunts, but if you're Brother wants to crib any of my take he's welcom to. (: 

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Surprised to be sorta bored w the first two episodes.  I'm not a dude that's mad at incorrect hip hop lore or something, it was just not really grabbing me. I ended up turning off the second episode to watch the second season of Mr Robot but it was one of the super slow episodes about his dad so that wasn't so good either.  Maybe tv just isn't for me apparently I'd rather cycle through news and Dj websites on my phone. 

• deezlee said:
    Surprised to be sorta bored w the first two episodes.  I'm not a dude that's mad at incorrect hip hop lore or something, it was just not really grabbing me. I ended up turning off the second episode to watch the second season of Mr Robot but it was one of the super slow episodes about his dad so that wasn't so good either.  Maybe tv just isn't for me apparently I'd rather cycle through news and Dj websites on my phone. 
    Having forced myself to sit through all 6 I can assure you it's not just you, and it doesn't get any better - desperately wanted to like but it's just terrible on so many levels, script, acting, continuity, embarrassingly bad to the point I had to switch it off several times in each episode.

the only redeeming factor was some of the soundtrack, but not that really f***ing annoying 'Set me free' track that's on ad infinitum, along with why is Can 'Vitamin C' on about half a dozen times  

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Yup I'm still watching cause how am I not gonna watch it but it's somehow just not poppin. 

Redeeming moment is when my wife called out the crayon's use immediately. 

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Tried several times to continue watching it but it's just not for me. Which is fine. I think in the end they got really nervous as so much money is behind this, made sure to fly in "HipHop tastemakers" from Europe and gave them a week of fun in NYC and all of that. But to me it looks like a costume designer's wet fever musical dream, a permanent Puma ad, the "cool" footage from the all the known documentaries ala "80 blocks from Tifanny's" and questionable millennial dialogues tied together by bad editing. Also mad that no one of the team had the idea to actually publish that Misty Holloway promo 12"...wasn't mad at the song...so many missed opportunites with this one...then again, I'm aware of the fact that I'm not the target audience...