Why So Quiet Around Here?

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    DOR said:
    NateBizzo said:

DOR said:
    NateBizzo said:
    I'm still down for the cause. 
    More Bizzo post around these parts would be a welcome sight.

Also to note. I, much like Jimster enjoy the semi anonymous nature around these parts. Where people don't take themselves too serious and post for shits n giggles. But mixed with anyone's opinion or knowledge.

What would you like me to talk about?

Any records you're still on the hunt for?

Places you still want to ride you've never been?

Any great food spots down your way?

Anything new or exciting going on in your life you would like to share with a semi anonymous strutter?
    Looking After the Following Records (short abbreviated list of grails). Have a rolling want list that has about 500 records. Still feverishly collecting.  

-CA Quintet
    -Andy and the Riverside Sextet
    -Milton Wright (have neither of his albums)
    -Larry Dixon's two albums. 
    -Mystic Siva
    -Cook County
    -Pure Release 
    -Bedford Stuyvesent Youth Talent Show
    -All the Don Rendall UK jazz albums 

i really want to ride Shames up on northern interior BC.  Been surfing a ton and have recently been running more in the Marin headlands.  

Food spots in Bay Area I'm feeling
    -Cala
    -Sir and Star
    -Mr Jui's kitchen 
    -Octavia
    -Leo's Oyster Bar
    -Californios
    -Rintaro

Personal stuff. Wife pregnant with baby #3. Finishing building house in Marin that has taken almost 3 years, which includes custom fantasy record area and audiophile set up. Pictures coming in a month or so. Have been working professionally as a Venture Capitalist investing and advising tech start ups in Bay Area after a 5 year stint working for a few different startups.

kalaReynaldo82

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Hey,

I was out-of-town briefly to attend a conference in Anaheim. I'll have to floss my Amoeba Records (Hollywood) finds on here in a separate thread. As has been the case since 2003, I visit the 'Strut on a daily basis.  It's a part of my life, viva la Soul Strut!!! By the way, here's a tour of Stacks Laboratories:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Nice setup, dope beat too.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I was out-of-town briefly to attend a conference in Anaheim. I'll have to floss my Amoeba Records (Hollywood) finds on here in a separate thread. As has been the case since 2003, I visit the 'Strut on a daily basis.  It's a part of my life, viva la Soul Strut!!! By the way, here's a tour of Stacks Laboratories:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Nice setup, dope beat too.

Thanks, Stratasphere!!!  I decided to take youtube's suggestion to create an introductory page to my site.  Thanks for checking it out.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    RAJ said:
    yuichi said:
    Hey guys.  To be completely blunt, the last format/layout change I think completely turned off most
    remaining OG members. 
    I noticed that.. Harvey Canal, Batmon, Laserwolf, DB Cooper all jumped shipped after the "upgrade".  I will admit that the latest upgrade was a last ditch attempt to be "relevant" as it features a lot of more social media stylings.  It does have it's benefits (like a better search engine), but then again, if you are living in 2016 and still using message board technology, it's probably the last thing you care about.  

I guess I am....

In all honesty, though, I miss the community.  I miss being able to support people's new releases, hear about their new mixes, get excited about a new record store someone is opening up, a movie review.  All that is gone.  I'm friends with a lot of the same people on Facebook and it's not the same.  In fact, I unfollowed a lot of them because of the same stupid daily narcissism.  

Also, I haven't been on Waxidermy in years, but props to them for keeping it simple and retaining their audience.  That was not a healthy place for me, though.  The last few times I was on there, it was filled with ex pats reveling in this place's demise.  

Nonetheless, I am fully dedicated to having this place still up and running for more years to come!  The archives are one of my children and I hope people get the same value out of them as I do.

Raj, you are CLEARLY disconnected son. The last thing, anybody cares about is poasting from their smartphone.
    Only thing I do that is close is listen to some mixes on Soundcloud on my phone.

And the fact that the OG dudes still come back to this site and type in "soulstrut.com" like a junkie looking for one last hit,
    speaks on how there is still a need.  I for one still wanna talk about the NBA, but couldn't even find the damn thread.

Someone mentioned "vibe".  You can't revive a site by "ghostbumping" or everyone pitching in a music-related thread.
    That shit is corny and has failed every time.

Another thing Raj.  I don't think anyone has the time or wherewithal to go through achived msg board poasts.  or cares for that matter.
    Most of the pics you can't even view anymore.

Waxi I think has slowed down a bit too.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    If I didn't read threads like this I wouldn't have any idea that this board is supposed to be substandard now. It gets as much traffic as other boards that I'm on. There are interesting threads daily. I read the archives. The locals are nice and knowledgable. 

I guess people prefer social media but not me. 
    I'd rather read old threads here than look at selfies. 
    And like I pointed out before, if your Facebook feed has less bullshit political posts then here then you are uniquely fortunate. 

I will say that when the OGs show up it makes me not want to spell stuff wrong or celebrate/emulate the poasting styles and traditions of this site that I so enjoy. 

:funcrusher gremlin:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    yuichi said:
    RAJ said:
    yuichi said:
    Hey guys.  To be completely blunt, the last format/layout change I think completely turned off most
    remaining OG members. 
    I noticed that.. Harvey Canal, Batmon, Laserwolf, DB Cooper all jumped shipped after the "upgrade".  I will admit that the latest upgrade was a last ditch attempt to be "relevant" as it features a lot of more social media stylings.  It does have it's benefits (like a better search engine), but then again, if you are living in 2016 and still using message board technology, it's probably the last thing you care about.  

I guess I am....

In all honesty, though, I miss the community.  I miss being able to support people's new releases, hear about their new mixes, get excited about a new record store someone is opening up, a movie review.  All that is gone.  I'm friends with a lot of the same people on Facebook and it's not the same.  In fact, I unfollowed a lot of them because of the same stupid daily narcissism.  

Also, I haven't been on Waxidermy in years, but props to them for keeping it simple and retaining their audience.  That was not a healthy place for me, though.  The last few times I was on there, it was filled with ex pats reveling in this place's demise.  

Nonetheless, I am fully dedicated to having this place still up and running for more years to come!  The archives are one of my children and I hope people get the same value out of them as I do.

Raj, you are CLEARLY disconnected son. The last thing, anybody cares about is poasting from their smartphone.
    Only thing I do that is close is listen to some mixes on Soundcloud on my phone.

And the fact that the OG dudes still come back to this site and type in "soulstrut.com" like a junkie looking for one last hit,
    speaks on how there is still a need.  I for one still wanna talk about the NBA, but couldn't even find the damn thread.

Someone mentioned "vibe".  You can't revive a site by "ghostbumping" or everyone pitching in a music-related thread.
    That shit is corny and has failed every time.

Another thing Raj.  I don't think anyone has the time or wherewithal to go through achived msg board poasts.  or cares for that matter.
    Most of the pics you can't even view anymore.

Waxi I think has slowed down a bit too.

Youichi, I swear this will be my last "why must I cry" moment.  I'm sure others agree with your sentiments.  I'm not disagreeing.  I've made some last ditch efforts that have been perceived as failures.   I'm just doing what feels right for me 17 years after I started this site.  It feels right for me to revisit and restore threads I missed because I was busy being a father.  It feels right bumping those threads because I want others to see how great they were.  If any one can see these threads and be inspired, my job is done.  This will be the site's legacy,

para11axThe_NondeezleeBig_Stackssticky_dojahJimsterfoeasstroPossum SlimDORYaga.Reactions.RecordLimit.Single

• Just logged in to say that this site is the number one resource on the internet for learning about the likes of soul/funk/jazz/pysch etc.  I've learnt about an unbelievable amount of great albums through the search facility and hope it's always around for others to benefit from.  In fact it would be tragic if it wasn't.
    RAJdeezleeDuderonomy

Just logged in to say that this site is the number one resource on the internet for learning about the likes of soul/funk/jazz/pysch etc.  I've learnt about an unbelievable amount of great albums through the search facility and hope it's always around for others to benefit from.  In fact it would tragic if it wasn't.

Thank you!  
    deezleePossum SlimBig_Stacks

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    My dad and I rode bikes to a record store yesterday. We both bought records. Will the Take Funk To Heaven in 77 iron-on work in the oh sixteen?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    DOR said:
    NateBizzo said:

DOR said:
    Looking After the Following Records (short abbreviated list of grails). Have a rolling want list that has about 500 records. Still feverishly collecting.  

-CA Quintet
    -Andy and the Riverside Sextet
    -Milton Wright (have neither of his albums)
    -Larry Dixon's two albums. 
    -Mystic Siva
    -Cook County
    -Pure Release 
    -Bedford Stuyvesent Youth Talent Show
    -All the Don Rendall UK jazz albums 

i really want to ride Shames up on northern interior BC.  Been surfing a ton and have recently been running more in the Marin headlands.  

Personal stuff. Wife pregnant with baby #3. Finishing building house in Marin that has taken almost 3 years, which includes custom fantasy record area and audiophile set up. Pictures coming in a month or so. Have been working professionally as a Venture Capitalist investing and advising tech start ups in Bay Area after a 5 year stint working for a few different startups.

nate bizzo 
    a man both laird hamilton and supreme la rock aspire to be!

how the hell is my copy of dicovery club holding up?
    you know......the one that has prevented me from doing any business with johnnypaycheck and good records ever since?

the strut is alive and well!
    in spite of waxidermy and facebook

thanks for all the laughs,deepest knowledge and clon raj!

it's funny how the rarer-ist private issue soul/funk lp online research more often than not leads right back to hear-= here-ear!

keep on keeping on and ignore yuichi with extreme prejudice
    ;-)

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Um Raj, that Youtube link at the top I just noticed is very ill.
    I would display that more prominently somewhere.  Just saying.
    I remember when you, as well as TTL.com had snippets of funk/soul
    and that's one of the main reasons why I got so into records.  So many
    "oh shit" moments on so many late nights.  That is the essence.  The excitement.

The site was obviously was the illest when you had the orange/green color-scheme
    graphic with the birds flocking or some shit.  That shit was crack.

and yea, I only critique and say it like it is, cuz the site has been a gift for me as well.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I'm not quite sure I know how to use this latest version of soulstrut. 

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Did you try unplugging it and pluggin' back in?

But you just did...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Who said that?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    kala said:

it's funny how the rarer-ist private issue soul/funk lp online research more often than not leads right back to hear-= here-ear!

Also other stuff. I had an ingrown nostril hair come out the front of my nose a decade ago. Some strutteur, I think it was one of the britmans dem, recounted a nearly identical experience on here. It used to show up in my weekly google searches. 
    Duderonomy

• Hey, non-troll, long-time strutteurs, hope you're all well.

Soulstrut opened a lot of different avenues for me. The knowledge and connections gained here were invaluable. It was a real community.

It's sad to see what this place has been reduced to, but all good things have to come to an end. Not sure what good pointing fingers will do now. Thanks to Raj for the all the years/money/effort he put into this endeavour.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    kala said:

Also other stuff. I had an ingrown nostril hair come out the front of my nose a decade ago. Some strutteur, I think it was one of the britmans dem, recounted a nearly identical experience on here. It used to show up in my weekly google searches. 
    I also had an ingrown nostril hair come out the front of my beak. It was more than 10 years ago, for sure. 

There was this painful pimple with a dutty whitehead on the tip of my nose that festered for a few days, and it sprayed nasty pus when squeezed.

When I looked closely, I could see a little black dot in the middle, so I squeezed harder and the dot seemed to protrude a tiny bit.

I grabbed tweezers and pulled out (to my surprise and amusement) a gross, course, slightly kinked nasal hair that was coated lightly in a mixture of blood and pus.

The pain was gone and the pimple vanished within a couple days. 

Viva Soulstrut!
    Duderonomy

• Hey, non-troll, long-time strutteurs, hope you're all well.

Soulstrut opened a lot of different avenues for me. The knowledge and connections gained here were invaluable. It was a real community.

It's sad to see what this place has been reduced to, but all good things have to come to an end. Not sure what good pointing fingers will do now. Thanks to Raj for the all the years/money/effort he put into this endeavour.
    If Crappy were a mutant his name would be Buzzkill.  Guess what his motherfucking power is.  Yeah, you got it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts

• chasechase 767 Posts
    Hey guys! I thought I would weigh in as someone who was around way back and basically left. 

I think Soul Strut really excelled on a very specific niche, even if that was not it's intention. I stumbled on it as I was getting into producing, looking for records to sample, and probably googling "DJ Shadow" or something, this was probably around 2002-3ish. During this time, hip hop/music itself was very centered around samples. If you look into your history books you can see that some of the most popular sample based albums* were released in the early 2000's. I felt a connection with the board at that time, it was small and there was so much information that was relevant to me. I don't consider myself a record dude, but a music dude who samples records from time to time, and who enjoys sample based music. So I loved not only asking questions, but reading all the other discussions. It kept me coming back everyday. For someone who knew nothing, it was amazing what I learned. 

You can also see Soul Strut's decline happen as this style of music began to fall out of favor*. Sure over the years, many people discussed other things, formed friendships, and started a community. I am sure that is one of the reasons the board is still here today. I think as the masses started to exit, this place became a bit of a circle jerk, and sort of lost its direction. I know as my knowledge grew, my tastes and needs became much more specific and the board really wasn't the resource to me anymore it had been, and I didn't feel like I was part of the community that was taking shape. So I came around a lot less. 

If you look at it from a marketing stand point, back in the early days Soul Strut had a very popular product, as that product became a little passe, I don't think there was anything to replace it, nothing quite as popular at least*. Sure there is a bunch of info here, but there is a bunch of info everywhere, presenting it is the key. I get the "depth of knowledge in search bar" but I don't see any relevance there, not for me at least, and I probably represent a large chunk of people.

I am sad to see the board dying, if only because I have fond memories of it and I am thankful for everything I learned here. But, I will admit, I never come here anymore. 

*my opinion, hatters welcome. 

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Can we un-sticky this thread? It is a buzzkill having it at the top of the forum. This thread sucks.
    para11axfoeDuderonomycove

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    This was all worth it to read about in-grown nasal hairs breaking through to the other side.

• True, I retract my criticism, carry on. ^^^

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    Visually, the site looks better than ever to me; easy to use and navigate on desktop and mobile. I am less inclined to reply from my phone, though, which looks like a general trend, so maybe the answer to getting more action on the boards is to make it even more engaging to mobile users, with lots of bells and whistles. I also think everyone has been tip-toeing around the more basic idea that these little dudes just can't carry the weight. I'm still looking forward to future board renaissances and revivals--maybe even led by the strongest of the new...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Checking in for th first time In years. Besides still listening to mixes. New site confuses me...I don't even know what conversation this is. But I'm sure I'd get used to it. 

Still stay up w ol soulstrut heads in real world and fb. But things here got to a point where when I commented if I wasn't being argumentative, there wouldn't be any response. So that got boring for me. Maybe my posts were boring tho

My main interest was learning about records and music, buying trading and selling. Waxidermy stayed about that. The sales were interesting and people still posting crazy finds and talking about the game. Seemed like a lot more store owners, seasoned unrepentant diggers and such, even if they are more into folkways and AOR. I felt a little gas come out of the strut balloon when you had to pay to sell records (although i didnt and don't begrudge the move)

still greatly appreciative of soulstrut and the stellar community and knowledge that emanated out of this place. 
    Love y'all, t

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts

Checking in for th first time In years. Besides still listening to mixes. New site confuses me...I don't even know what conversation this is. But I'm sure I'd get used to it. 

Still stay up w ol soulstrut heads in real world and fb. But things here got to a point where when I commented if I wasn't being argumentative, there wouldn't be any response. So that got boring for me. Maybe my posts were boring tho

My main interest was learning about records and music, buying trading and selling. Waxidermy stayed about that. The sales were interesting and people still posting crazy finds and talking about the game. Seemed like a lot more store owners, seasoned unrepentant diggers and such, even if they are more into folkways and AOR. I felt a little gas come out of the strut balloon when you had to pay to sell records (although i didnt and don't begrudge the move)

still greatly appreciative of soulstrut and the stellar community and knowledge that emanated out of this place. 
    Love y'all, t
    I want more trades, T!!!!!

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts

Love y'all, t

deezlee said:
    Can we un-sticky this thread? It is a buzzkill having it at the top of the forum. This thread sucks.
    Great seeing an OG post here!

I think we interacted briefly on fb re: Salt - Hung Up.