The Summer Of Unlove

I just hope that what we're witnessing are the last dying gasps of the gawddamned Confederacy.  Time to drive the needle deep and put that beast down once and for all.

I would like to live in uninteresting times for a decade.  Just once while I still have my teeth.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    There's no need to go down with the ship.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    B/w

Despite my initial anger and shame, watching Britain self-destruct from a distance is turning out to be quite entertaining.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I can't go on Social Media anymore.  So many misinformed idiots.  The Internet has divided everyone.  We're now set back 200 years.
    batmonPicklesBig_StacksstratasphereGibbo

• RAJ said:
    I can't go on Social Media anymore.  So many misinformed idiots.  The Internet has divided everyone.  We're now set back 200 years.
    What's amazing me is how fluent young racists are in Old Racist language.  That stuff is ground in DEEP.

This is also one of those years where the 17 year locusts are waking up, too.  I don't think this is a setback.  They never went away.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Nah, we were never less divided. We just know much more now about about how divided we are, because we're no longer as isolated from each other, plus the web provides enough anonymity (or at least vagueness and distance) that people feel perfectly comfortable saying things they'd never have the stones to say face-to-face. This was an inevitable outgrowth of the information age. It had to happen at some point... and confronting it is the only way forward.
    ManItsAHighCastle said:

What's amazing me is how fluent young racists are in Old Racist language.  That stuff is ground in DEEP.
    You said it. Still getting passed down from one generation to the next.

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:

Nah, we were never less divided. We just know much more now about about how divided we are, because we're no longer as isolated from each other, plus the web provides enough anonymity (or at least vagueness and distance) that people feel perfectly comfortable saying things they'd never have the stones to say face-to-face. This was an inevitable outgrowth of the information age. It had to happen at some point... and confronting it is the only way forward.
     people are getting comfy on social medias now, they talking like they are at home. they talking like only their own people can hear them. they still ain't saying interesting shit..

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    and reading the news, it's not surprising what they are saying. this whole division bores me, at most both sides makes me sad.

'it feels so good to hate on someone, especially if i am right, i'm a crusader.'

• Yeah, it's also paralyzing in a way because the fucking egregious shit that makes the rounds everywhere is really only conducive to echo-chamber-gang support or totally unproductive, lengthy, adversarial text-based argument that gets emotional and generalizing and hurtful. So if you want to have the kind of discussions that don't go those two pre-determined ways, you basically can't, at least online. I find that in person I have much more fruitful discussions and I think people are finding with protests and organizing movements that in-person is still the way to go if you want to be heard and understood by even one person.

These are the bad kind of interesting times, and having moved to the UK I am pretty distraught to NOT be viewing shit from a distance - not necessarily about Brexit as an ideology in and of itself, but the emotions, xenophobia, intolerance, racism, fear, age-ism, and so on that have driven it. I wouldn't mind a Brexit in a country that had a coherent plan to improve society afterwards, but instead it came about due basically to one generation's shortsightedness and smallmindedness and will result in a hard-right government being released off the chain and pressured further from the right to appease those emotions, possibly for years before any challenge to their absolute authority. I can smell the fascism coming just in the way online discourse now plays out.

And in the States my self-selecting bubble of lefties on social media are tearing themselves apart over the betrayal of Sanders endorsing Clinton, because people can't think beyond personalities and to ideals and policies, can't even look at the personalities as more than Savior or Devil Incarnate. Meanwhile post-thought populism rears its ugly head once again. And of course the usual isms have never gone away.
    trzakhstanGibboBig_Stacks