de la strutnip

dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
http://www.mtv.com/news/2888213/de-la-soul-listening/

how much butt must this guy not gets?

"The stuff I like is all about instrumentals and ad libs that come closer to contemporary EDM than old-school rap."

huh?

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Duke,

You should hear the rap bullshit dudes play from their ipods in the gym (classroom-core workout area).  I can't stand that 'new shit' that all has same, slow beat.  Are all the 'now school' rappers today sleepy and from the South?  I guess I'm too.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• that guy sure spent a lot of words describing how young he is, I guess. good for him on being born in 1992. in a few years he'll be the old man in the club talking about real instruments or something, and then he'll have nothing to offer the world of music criticism.

if your job is music criticism and you don't know about music from before you were born maybe you need to quit and make internal corporate videos for a living. you don't even have to like it but if all you can respond with is "ewww, too many samples" "why doesn't this sound like x" then your skills as a critic are questionable

• Wait till this dude hears "De La Soul is Dead"!!!

dukeofdelridge

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts

You mean compared to all the butt SStrut dudes were getting at his age?

Turn back the clock and he would have fit in perfectly on the board.

Not sure why people are expecting a 20-something to see this record any differently than he does.
    His duct tape feel of the production assessment is not wrong, and yea, the charm is not timeless. And he is absolutely right about 2 Live Crew sounding dated.

The only annoying thing is that he doesn't like all the skits on the record but he keeps throwing to his bagel and yoga class, which are the equivalent of skits in his article.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I heard Michael Rappaport talking about this review on his podcast but I thought to myself it can't be that bad. And yet it's worse. "I cannot get out of my head just how not rap this album sounds" is one hell of a statement about 3 Feet High.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Although now that I think about it, that is exactly what some very disconnected people were saying about the record when it came out, isn't it? If you've never heard anything like it I guess it's hard to appreciate it, now or then.

That review still sucks though.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    bassie2 said:

Not sure why people are expecting a 20-something to see this record any differently than he does.
    His duct tape feel of the production assessment is not wrong, and yea, the charm is not timeless. And he is absolutely right about 2 Live Crew sounding dated.

The only annoying thing is that he doesn't like all the skits on the record but he keeps throwing to his bagel and yoga class, which are the equivalent of skits in his article.
    I could care less he didn't like it. But making statement like

"can sound too dated for me, and that’s just a drum machine and offensive lyrics, which in theory I should be all about."

Why should he be all about it?

Then he hits you with the "but I cannot get out of my head just how not rap this album sounds."

And this was part of my issue with his writing. Though the history of the genre so many have come before him trying to tell other people what rap is and what it isn't. When the truth is, it's what you want it to be. There is no one style to the genre that makes it anymore rap over another. And in the same breath it completely negates why this album was so monumental to the genre in the first place. Not that I would take him to task for not researching the effect it had at the time.

But yeah, my main issue was your point with the skits. But also that it felt like something that I would believe to come from this generation. No focus. Constant distractions. I have no doubt that when he was trying to analyze the music he was doing 10 other things. Like the kid trying to watch 2001 in a theater answering non stop text messages and then giving his thoughts on the movie.

In any case, I look forward to the review from the same publication done by a 50 year old music critic on the new Troy Ave and see the reaction. 

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mayweather over Ali.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It's no Major Lazer

batmon said:
    Mayweather Ali.
    My new Rap name.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    DOR said:
    bassie2 said:

I could NOT care less he didn't like it.
    Fixed.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Didn't we have a thread about this dude ?
    His review is balls. I can't get past his writing, It's terrible. He gets PAID to do this ? 
    On another tip that new De La with Snoop is   

• It's kind of wild because in 94 if I had proposed a De La / Snoop collabo I doubt anyone would have accepted that as a real possibility. 

Times done changed

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The_Non said:
    It's no Major Lazer

• DOR said:
    bassie2 said:

Fixed.
    Fixed.

One more time, for all my literalists: 

"I could care less" comes from a Yiddish construction where there is an implied question/incredulity--"As if I could care less?"--the implication being that the speaker finds preposterous the idea that they could care any less about what's being spoken of. It's from the same vein as implied-disbelief idioms like "I should be so lucky!" and "Such a face!"

It has of course long since been buffed of its ethnic origins, but "I could care less" is definitely, as the kids say, a thing, and has been a thing since long before kids said that things were things. You don't have to like it, but you don't get to correct it, either. Which, given the topic and the tone of the thread, seems fitting.  

double

DOR said:
    bassie2 said:

Fixed.
    Fixed.

One more time, for all my literalists: 

The British "I couldn't care less" predates any supposed Yiddish construction (let's cut to the chase - American usage is what you mean) by decades, and as a friend of mine would respond to this tenuous revisionism, "my hairy bottom".

Although

"You don't have to like it, but you don't get to correct it, either. Which, given the topic and the tone of the thread, seems fitting"

I could agree more...   ?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Hopefully one day, David Turner will look back and realize how dumb he sounded! Much like De La might look back on 3 Feet - which if memory serves they produced when they were teenagers - and want to do it differently, except in David's case may be not do it at all? It bothers me that certain people's whole M.O. is to troll, and I guess that's the point of trolling. But still.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    He gets PAID to do this ? 

Man, that pisses me off. Got me fired up again.
    [Vignette]:
    25 yo bloggeur throws on Marvin Gaye: "What's Goin On?" What's he so sad about?

Puts on The Clash. "London's Calling?" Why so urgent?

Puts on BDP's "The Bridge is Over" Ugghhh. This music is so hostile and angry, I need to do some yoga to clear up my chakras.

[Fin]

• The British "I couldn't care less" predates any supposed Yiddish construction (let's cut to the chase - American usage is what you mean) by decades, and as a friend of mine would respond to this tenuous revisionism, "my hairy bottom".
    No, "Yiddish construction" is really what I meant. And that's not me trying to be evasive--just giving credit where credit is due. Like how I consider myself an "English speaker" rather than an "American speaker." (One could argue that England doesn't deserve the bill for my abuses of its gift, but hey, what can you do.) There are enough other instances in Yiddish of this specific kind of tonal thing that I kinda feel like subsuming it into the more general "American" would be flirting with what the youngsters call cultural erasure (as opposed to flirting with actual Erasure [page me, Vince Clarke--we can talk about synths and hair]). 

And I'm not at all saying the Yiddish predates the British--I only meant to point out that "I could care less" has some roots and some logic behind it, and is not some syntactic fuck-up in need of fixing, which is how it often gets framed. Revisionism was not my intention.

(This has reminded me that back when I was younger and scrappier I claimed in a thread right here on soulstrut dot com that the most important American band was The Beatles. Now that, I will grant you, was me just straight-up stirring the shit.) 

I'm the least interesting thing abut this thread right now and so am going to bow out, but in a parting/too-late attempt at topicality will say this: I'm not bothered by the existence of his review, but man, I'm awfully glad to not be that guy. 

For people born in the early 60s to 80s, we are operating under the belief that we are the recipients of a "better world" than what our parents and those before them lived in. Economic booms, end of wars with tangible freedoms gained, major shifts in social justice and personal freedoms, immigration to better opportunities...and all the art, film and music that accompanied these changes.
    We are also in the beautiful and unique position to have dual perspectives; we can ride the technological train young enough to learn, adopt and benefit from the progress and old enough to have used, or at least remember, what used to be - turntables, recording on cassettes, rotary phones and life without GoogleMaps and Wiki.

I think people the writer's age live with the general notion they are the recipients of some serious bullshit. Housing and economy bottoming out, 1%/99% wealth disparity, environmental disaster, first generation to be born in the West and all the neither-here-nor-there pressure and limbo that comes with that, never-ending hypocritical and expensive wars that have destroyed lives and murdered more people than they have helped and leaders, police and media that mirror race relations of the black and white images of their grandparents' time.

(I'm not going to touch the hyper-disposable culture of the arts. It's a separate discussion and I don't think 35+ folks are as immune to it as much as they think they are)

There are people our age who never appreciated the urgency of the Clash or Gaye's despair or De La Soul's vision when they were first released. It's a tall order to expect a 24 year old in 2016 to give a damn and hold precious a record older than him, no matter how "important" it was. Looking around, not sure I would.
    Scuba Steveklezmer electro-thug beatspara11axDuderonomy

Hairy Moody said:
    I'm awfully glad to not be that guy. 

Basically.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Wait till this dude hears "De La Soul is Dead"!!!

bassie2 said:

There are people our age who never appreciated the urgency of the Clash or Gaye's despair or De La Soul's vision when they were first released. It's a tall order to expect a 24 year old in 2016 to give a damn and hold precious a record older than him, no matter how "important" it was. Looking around, not sure I would.
    And they became music critics? I get that if were talking about Janis from accounting who never gave a fuck...

But if you're going to make statements like the ones I pointed out above and not give any insight, not give reference or backing to your thoughts or opinions. Not doing any research into the subject, etc. Then you're not a music critic, you're just Janis from accounting giving your bullshit thoughts. One again, this has nothing to do with him not liking, getting, understanding, etc an album. The world is full of amazing albums people of all ages didn't get or care about.

Unless this guy is just out trolling. Then I take it all back. He's amazing at his job.

DOR said:
    bassie2 said:

And they became music critics? I get that if were talking about Janis from accounting who never gave a fuck...

But if you're going to make statements like the ones I pointed out above and not give any insight, not give reference or backing to your thoughts or opinions. Not doing any research into the subject, etc. Then you're not a music critic, you're just Janis from accounting giving your bullshit thoughts. One again, this has nothing to do with him not liking, getting, understanding, etc an album. The world is full of amazing albums people of all ages didn't get or care about.

Unless this guy is just out trolling. Then I take it all back. He's amazing at his job.
    He may very well be.

Hey Janis - I know you are most proficient in FreshBooks 2016 but we think you really need to know Excel 2007 to appreciate what you do. Please speak to IT about pulling it out of the archives, check it out and then present your analysis for the senior accounting department tomorrow morning. K? 

"...since I have never heard a complete De La Soul album. Nothing personal — I just never got around to it. To fix this problem, my editors kindly suggested — or, I guess, technically, told me, since I work for them — that I should spend today listening to De La Soul’s classic Tommy Boy Records debut, 3 Feet High and Rising, and cataloguing my thoughts below.

bassie2 said:

Hey Janis - I know you are most proficient in FreshBooks 2016 but we think you really need to know Excel 2007 to appreciate what you do. Please speak to IT about pulling it out of the archives, check it out and then present your analysis for the senior accounting department tomorrow morning. K? 
    My comment is not relevant to the discussion. But coming from working in an IT dept background. Freshbooks 2016 wouldn't be probably supported until sometime late in 2017... The amount of people who install new versions of software which fuck shit up is TOO DAMN HIGH.

And on a side note, if Janis wanted a job in IT and didn't know how to use or support Excel 2007 or even know how to search google to find solutions on how to fix Excel issues in any version, she wouldn't get the job...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Wait till this dude hears "De La Soul is Dead"!!!

And and and, maybe I'll be waiting a really long time, but I can't wait for him to get to Art Official Intelligence, and maybe just maybe be able to put that properly in the place of the hip-hop cannon, like lamenting the never-was Maseo DJ showcase that was to be the third part in the AOI trilogy.   

While we're on the topic. I see there's already a tracklist for De La's new album. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Anonymous_Nobody