Can I get a Trump Thread?

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
edited June 2016 in Strut Central
How does a dude that once pushed to bring back the death penalty (Including for children) get this far in US politics.

I wish Rich would chime in and explain to me this whole chapter in American politics.

I personally think he's scared as shit that he's going to win the damn thing.

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hi DOR,

To me, Trump represents represents backlash to the Obama presidency (partly racism mixed with some general xenophobia) and the scapegoating that has come with it (e.g., economics, terrorism, etc.).  The irony is that the problems that Trump is using to fan flames existed during the Bush presidency.  Oh well, Americans have short memories and even less political savvy or knowledge.  Plus, the egregious Republican behavior and posturing (e.g., nearly shutting down the government as a political ploy) has totally backfired on and fucked up the Republican party's image.  Their fractured agenda has paved the way for an idiot like Trump to emerge.  Owing to the GOP's awful behavior, they deserve Trump's ass, yet the rest of us have to endure his empty and dangerous rhetoric as well.  I'm so embarrassed with our politics right now, and I'm far from wild about Hilary as well.  The Clinton vs. Trump ticket is like a choice between the gas chamber and the electric chair.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    trzakhstan

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    DOR said:
    I personally think he's scared as shit that he's going to win the damn thing.

Agreed. I've said for some time that I don't think he had any intention of getting this far... but the whole thing spiraled out of control, and he got sucked in by his own weakness, i.e. he can't resist seeing his name in big letters, in as many places as possible. 

• Clinton is going to win this easily.  Trump is a creature crawling around in America's Confederate litter box, and he won't win a single state anyone with any sense wants to live in.

Speaking of which, he'll win Texas:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/white-boys-put-rope-around-black-girls-neck-and-dragged-her-while-school-looked-other-way-lawsuit/comments/#disqus

Because when I see a headline like that, well, I'm usually right about where it originates.

Stacks makes a gas chamber/electric chair comparison between Clinton and Trump which is way off base.  Hillary will run the country in a way much closer to Obama than to her husband.  She's not my ideal candidate but then I'd give Obama another 8 years in a heartbeat.  Best president of my lifetime, and much better than this country actually deserves.  The Fantasyland POTUS who never makes a wrong move and who too many left-wingers crave has never/will never exist.

Anyway, we're looking at a landslide of LBJ/Goldwater or Reagan/Mondale proportions.  It should be even worse, because Trump is total shit on every conceivable level, but the litter box is big and has been around a long time.
    Big_Stackstrzakhstan

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Clinton is going to win this easily.  Trump is a creature crawling around in America's Confederate litter box, and he won't win a single state anyone with any sense wants to live in.

Speaking of which, he'll win Texas:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/white-boys-put-rope-around-black-girls-neck-and-dragged-her-while-school-looked-other-way-lawsuit/comments/#disqus

Because when I see a headline like that, well, I'm usually right about where it originates.

Stacks makes a gas chamber/electric chair comparison between Clinton and Trump which is way off base.  Hillary will run the country in a way much closer to Obama than to her husband.  She's not my ideal candidate but then I'd give Obama another 8 years in a heartbeat.  Best president of my lifetime, and much better than this country actually deserves.  The Fantasyland POTUS who never makes a wrong move and who too many left-wingers crave has never/will never exist.

Anyway, we're looking at a landslide of LBJ/Goldwater or Reagan/Mondale proportions.  It should be even worse, because Trump is total shit on every conceivable level, but the litter box is big and has been around a long time.

Hey ManItsAHighCastle,

Touche on your gas chamber/electric chair comparison.  I think Hilary Clinton will be a competent president relative to Trump, it's just that I don't find her very likable or trustworthy.  So, in making a choice between the two, it's relatively easy.  There is no way we can let a wingnut like Donald Trump become president of our great land.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Stacks - Lots of people found her husband to be very likable, but he sure wasn't trustworthy.  That weakness turned what could have been an A Presidency into a B- one.   I figure Hillary will want to beat that grade in the eyes of history, and her only path to that goal is to keep moving forward and to drive another nail into the forehead of Fox each and every day.  I think she's up to that.  She has a built-in advantage.  The other side is batshit nuts and dwindling in size. 

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I'm mad curious about who Clinton's running mate will be (assuming she's the nominee).  She could really sew it up, or give Trump an opportunity.  Who could Trump pick as a running mate that would make him more viable?  

I'm okay with Clinton (as a Canadian) as I think the kind of changes that need to happen in the U.S. (in the name of social justice) can only come from having people out in the streets/outside of the electoral system.  Sooner or later, those changes will come.  But people shouldn't expect ANYONE inside of the government to just give it to them (unfortunately).  Same thing here in Canadaland.  

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    Nearly all of our political leaders and major institutions are corrupt. 20% of the country are hardcore white racists and bigots with assault rifles. Whole cities of people are being poisoned and brain-damaged by lead. We definitely need to take to the streets. Fuck this bullshit.
    kicks79Duderonomy

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts

I know all politicians lie. But Hilary is next level.

Is she better than Trump of course. But its kind of a depressing choice.

Jeez, she is a terrible liar.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    ketan said:
     Who could Trump pick as a running mate that would make him more viable? 

Mark Cuban, but he's gonna pick someone who will kiss his ass to the ends of the earth, so he'd never do that.

• From a distance, it's funny to watch developments and think about stuff like, who is going to actually step up and run alongside trump as a VP? Aside from "drunk incoherent aunt at barbeque" Sarah Palin I guess. That'd be funny.

But really, my more serious view has been that there is definitely a level of unrest we haven't seen in several generations. I'm not talking about the '60s either but the '30s. I'm American, so I've been following Trump's rise, but for example, here in the UK the "Leave the EU" campaign is winning polls based on literally zero positive offerings. What they are campaigning on is "excessive" immigration in this 92+% native-born white country, xenophobia against Turks and Ukranians joining the EU (because it was so bad when Poles, Romanians and whoever else already came, sigh), taking back the ability of the UK government to abolish the Human Rights Act, and other totally odious, dim, narrow-minded nationalism that hasn't taken hold in the western world since the 1930s. Austria nearly elected basically a '30s style fascist a couple weeks ago  in an election almost too close to call, Greece has a rising Nazi party (not even Neo-Nazi), Hungary's third largest party is an irredentist ultranationalist racist party, France is coming close to a X vs. National Front runoff next election...

While it all manifests slightly differently in the US, I feel it must come from the same root causes. Trump offers national pride to people who have nothing else to be proud of. Much like other hard-right movements (men's rights advocates, white supremacists, etc.) I think it's people whose sole source of self-worth now derives from clinging to irrational superiority through racism, sexism, or in Trump's case, mostly nationalism (with some of everything else in there too), because every other more concrete source of self-worth has been taken from them: economic self-determination, social mobility, community support and involvement, stability, health.

So, ironically, capitalism and neoliberalism has won so soundly in these countries that they've actually progressed backwards in time and destabilized again. If I was a hard core fan of capitalism, I'd be looking for ways to moderate it, reduce inequality, etc. very quickly because it is going to eat itself with this shit. That's why you see the IMF putting out research saying "jesus, we really screwed up with this austerity stuff, it's actually made things worse just like the leftists said it would". They see they've misbehaved so freely that they've created the conditions for another rise of fascism, nationalism, maybe even world wars.

So while Trump is a clown we can all hope will lose - and will, if enough people turn out to vote - maybe next week the UK is going to vote to leave the EU and destabilize the fuck out of that situation, maybe hard-right governments are going to be elected in quite a few European countries, including parties who want to invade neighboring countries because of lingering ethnic reasons... maybe next time a version of Trump who isn't a total clown will run and win. There's a lot to fight for and not just sit back and watch now, at any rate.
    DuderonomyReynaldo82ketantrzakhstanBig_StackssoulcitizenGibboDORRAJ

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Well said KETB. When asked by people in Spain why teh UK might consider Brexit, I haven't had an answer that points to anything positive. As you said it seems that the tabloid media is driving this with fear mongering about immigrants - resentment fueled by austerity sounds about right, as depressing as it is.

It just keeps getting more absurd: https://guccifer2.wordpress.com/2016/06/15/dnc/

• The_Non said:
    ketan said:
     Who could Trump pick as a running mate that would make him more viable? 

Mark Cuban, but he's gonna pick someone who will kiss his ass to the ends of the earth, so he'd never do that.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I live in Seattle. I have yet to meet anyone who'll admit to being pro-Trump. Who are they?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I live in Seattle. I have yet to meet anyone who'll admit to being pro-Trump. Who are they?
    I've met a couple in Toronto who can't even vote for him, but you would never know it by the way they talk...

Anyone have any thoughts on what happens if he one day just dropped out? Not that I think he will. But I'm guessing he's really shitting his pants right now.

• He does seem like the kind of person who might get bored with all the stupid shit presidential candidates have to do and either just quit or get lazy and continue campaigning in the manner of ben "you have never in your life gazed at the cranium of a baby rhinoceros and said, 'I got this'" carson - that dude stayed in the race for months with no chance, basically coasting on that sweet brief-frontrunner donation money I guess, cause he was NOT putting in work so I can't think of any other reason. The difference between trump and ben "I don't even remember running for president" barson is that trump has done reality TV for years, so maybe he's got the stamina after all. He might not have the patience for criticism, TV debates, etc. though. And he's willing enough to screw over on a whim everybody who is invested in his candidacy, obviously, since he is doing that nearly every time he opens his mouth.