Arcade Classic Coin-Op Favorites ? ?

2»

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Some definite classics up in here, thought I don't think games like Area 51 or Mortal Combat II qualify as "classics." (Maybe I'm just too old?)

What about the early vector graphics games?

Red Baron:

Battlezone:

And the G.O.A.T.:

"I've lost R2!"

• not arcade, but just thought of this...parsec.

• I totaly forgot about this game, maaaan I wasted a ton of money on this one.

Digging thru my MAME roms now to see if I have it.

I was thinking, not my strong suit, but If anyone wants these games for windows, I can hook you up with the Emulator and the roms or your choice.

Shoot me a pm and ill see what I can do.

And now back to Sinistar.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Some definite classics up in here, thought I don't think games like Area 51 or Mortal Combat II qualify as "classics." (Maybe I'm just too old?)

And the G.O.A.T.:

"I've lost R2!"

"You're all clear, kid!"

But Asteroids has to be mentioned among any list of vector graphics games, and possibly considered the greatest. Arcades still exist inside bowling alleys, and I'll usually try to set the high score on Galaga if they have it.

Other ones I liked: Q*Bert, Elevator Action, Rolling Thunder, 1941.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

And the G.O.A.T.:

"I've lost R2!"

"You're all clear, kid!"

But Asteroids has to be mentioned among any list of vector graphics games, and possibly considered the greatest. Arcades still exist inside bowling alleys, and I'll usually try to set the high score on Galaga if they have it.

Other ones I liked: Q*Bert, Elevator Action, Rolling Thunder, 1941.

True, I guess I was just thinking of 3D vector graphics. Rolling Thunder was also a favorite of mine, played for hours at Dr. Munchies Pizza.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Even though it's not an early one. I miss playing this one.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Street Fighter II and Gauntlet prob got the most of my quarters.

For driving games my favs were:
    RoadBlasters (I played a lot because I could get pretty far on 1 token)
    Hard Drivin
    Chase HQ

Double Dragon blew my mind when it came out. Also Narc and Golden Axe

Final Fight was another that I played a lot because I could last pretty long on only a couple tokens

Rampage (my brother and I would fight over who got to be the wolf)
    Rolling Thunder

Centipede was free at my orthodontist. Loved that shit

I was obsessed with Ninja Gaiden when that dropped.

Honorable mention to Xenophobe.

Operation Wolf literally almost killed my brother. He wasn't tall enough to play and I don't even think he had any tokens in but he was hanging on to the gun with his feet off the ground and the damn thing tipped over. As it fell it caught the edge of a change machine otherwise it would have crushed him. 

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Also 

TMNT
    Simpsons
    Afterburner

From '87 to '93 I cannot even fathom how much time/money I spent in arcades. Started buying records in '95 and never looked back

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I've had some success in the past with NES roms (MAME, r4 card for ds), but only recently have I seen a coin-op rom work on these emulators. I got a raspberry pi and set it up in a couple of hours to play coin-op Mario Bros. That's been my dream: to play the Mario Bros I remember from the arcade, not the NES versions. The sounds are right, the look is there, it is so good. I'm not sure if I just got lucky, or if they've made this shit reach beyond the realm of supernerds, or if I should become a hacker, but it is great. I can't get some roms to work, but I bet there's a blog out there to help me. 

I am seriously considering buying one of the full-on joystick/button board controllers to really complete the vibe. 

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I really enjoyed the first person scroller light gun games. Lethal Enforcers was my shit. Operation Wolf and T2, as well. That Journey reminds me of the Aerosmith one (Revolution X)

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I've had some success in the past with NES roms (MAME, r4 card for ds), but only recently have I seen a coin-op rom work on these emulators. I got a raspberry pi and set it up in a couple of hours to play coin-op Mario Bros. That's been my dream: to play the Mario Bros I remember from the arcade, not the NES versions. The sounds are right, the look is there, it is so good. I'm not sure if I just got lucky, or if they've made this shit reach beyond the realm of supernerds, or if I should become a hacker, but it is great. I can't get some roms to work, but I bet there's a blog out there to help me. 

I am seriously considering buying one of the full-on joystick/button board controllers to really complete the vibe. 

You can find all the ROMS on file sharing platforms but I am sure the ones I recently downloaded are less compatible with the ones I used to run BITD when MAME first came out and I was a supernerd.  But MAME has allowed me to complete Marble Madness and Super Hang-On.  Take a bow.  ROBOTRON is still a beast.

• Driving:
    Championship Sprint, the steering controls on this were so perfect. So fun to twirl the totally free-spinning wheel the exact right amount to get through a really sharp corner and catch it to straighten out.

Roadblasters, had this on my atari lynx at home too

S.T.U.N. Runner, another lynx one

Also,
    Metal Slug - got this down to 5 tokens to beat the game thanks to practicing at home with an emulator. Then 2-3-4-5 came out and were impossible.

Best for multiplayer

Oh yeah and TMNT, Simpsons, etc.