CUT 'N' PASTE EDITS - which are the G.O.A.T.?

2»

Comments

• My favorites:
    Double Dee & Steinski's Lessons
    Danny Krivit "Feelin' James"
    DJ Shadow "Lesson 4"
    DJ Shadow "Number Song"
    Cut Chemist "Number Song remix"
    Cut Chemist "Lesson 6"
    Major Force "Re-return of the Original Artform"
    Mr. X & Mr. Z "Kick it Wicked"

• pahpopahpo 23 Posts
    Bringing that old one up, 

Jakou "Stephnew" is a really nice one, all based on Charles Stepney's prods - seems to be Jazzanova related

Could also get your ears on this " *C*V " track, not the GOAT but enjoyable nonetheless... if you're into cut&paste that is

https://www.mixcloud.com/jay-tee12/cv/

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Is this about the new Avalanches song?

• pahpopahpo 23 Posts
    Don't think so, 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    For me Grandmaster Flash is goat as it was one of the first, IIRC done by hand (in one take???), and still sounds very impressive.
    I really like Cut Chemist's Lesson 6 from the Jurassic 5 EP. A lot of cut&paste tracks are interesting quick-fire collages, but this one feels like a song. Maybe traditionalists might complain that it is too much like a conventional beat as it relies on the same loop, but that ties it all together.

• pahpopahpo 23 Posts
    Lesson 6 really is a serious contender

Problem with using the same beat could sometimes end up a tad boring, especially if no "take me to the bridge" approach.

Format's "Little Bit Of Soul" is quite nice, moody and all with nice break down, and his "English Lessons" are straight

Think this thread is drifting from it's original content now ... 

Bassbin Twins

This skint stuff really didn't age well, but back in the day everyone thought it was great

Duderonomy

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

cant believe this didnt get a mention
    Duderonomy

Okay, some guy sent me a link about a decades in the making documentary about James Lavelle and how he used to love jazz and hip hip but then started hanging out with rock stars and doing rock star drugs then the house dj thing where he can't even dj really but just plays house and techno records, And the new Avalanches song had a comment written about it that sample based guys hit a wall of creativity when they started collaborating with pop stars after their initial success. But anyway.....

The semi hidden intro track from the unkle album, I never could get this on my cd player.