fucking pathetic
maybe he can fuck Hasert and Sandusky into redemption
http://www.vice.com/read/how-black-boys-suffer-sexual-abuse-in-silence

Comments

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Yikes :( 

That was a depressing read.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

"But due to the restrictive statute of limitations, no criminal trial is possible to bring evidence or discovery that might unveil what happened so many years ago."

Wow. Obviously it would be hard to have solid evidence at this late stage but that's really tragic.

• PicklesPickles 67 Posts
    Bumbateing

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    I realize it's really convenient for me to say this but I always caught a weird vibe from bam.
    B/w
    I think there is also a documentary in the works on bam's life 

• this dude left a pretty horrifying legacy of tour antics along these lines in the EU earl 2000's that was known to industry heads and promoters but honestly, even though i heard stories first hand from guys who witnessed stuff, i was always like, naw man, no way. not possible. I figured it was just a big joke.

whelp. 

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Apparently this is one big government conspiracy on the Zulu Nation.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey,

Bam's credibility is highly suspect given the number of victims reporting consistent stories of abuse.  It's despicable when people in a position to positively impact others use their platform to prey upon others.  There is no defense for that bullshit.  To whom much is given, much is required!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

coveMek_Jaggerskelkala

• Rumors have abounded about Bam being gay since the 80's in the UK .... not an issue.

Also about him coming on very strong to very young UK emcees & B-boys while on tour at that time.

Now this is crazy with the extent of people coming out about it.

Most people seem to be in denial as no one wants to believe it & no mainstream media seem to want to touch it?

The latest comes from a very heavy Zulu insider  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-9MIgbhOuY

Knowing about it since the 70's, turning a blind eye to it until 2007 is not a good look.

kala

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    Way to taint an entire culture, Afrika Sandusky. Hopefully he didn't start hip hop to get better access to victims, like the Catholic church/rape factory. His clout points go to KRS by default.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
     His clout points go to CHUCK D [for president] by default.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    I wouldn't give this kunt the title of starting hip hop
    He was late to the game way after herc

• You know, it fucked me up considerably when it came out that Donald Fagen was pushing his wife around. I have no idea what to do with this Bambaataa shit.

"Planet Rock" is easily the most important record of my lifetime. And beyond even that, Bam's individual influence on my musical sensibility simply cannot be overstated. That he did something like this, and that he's been doing it for so very long, is a great, great sadness. A kind of death, really. 

I hope he's made to answer for this, and hope that the survivors are able to find peace.   

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    At what point do you dimsiss some one's art because of their actions,views or politics.
    I mean I have no problem never seeing or hearing from dudes like  Bill Cosby or Rolf Harris ever again. But thats easy because I was never a fan of them in the first place.
    Do Ike Turner and James Brown get a pass for their behaviour against women because their music is so good.
    Or do I stop listening to Brand Nubian because of Sadat X and Lord Jamal's homophobic views ?
    I can't in good concious listen to bands like skrewdriver. So where do you draw the line ?

• kicks79 said:
    At what point do you dimsiss some one's art because of their actions,views or politics...where do you draw the line ?

Yeah, that's always the question.

I dearly wish that I could say I always make these kinds of listening decisions based on my moral beliefs as a person, but I think I most often make them based on my self-centered needs as a listener. That is, my main question is usually--I'm ashamed to say--"Okay, to what extent does knowing what I now know distract me from the music?" 

I personally tend to be distracted by Music/Shit balances at the two extremes--that is, cases where the two are

A) so synonymous that The Music keeps throwing The Shit in my face (e.g. sexual predator R. Kelly dropping album after album celebrating sexual predation) 

or

B) so opposed that I really have to work to reconcile The Music with The Shit (e.g. the aforementioned Donald Fagen, who presents as a paragon of smooth and epitome of a man who is never without the answer, showing out as one unable to keep his cool in his own fucking living room).

--so the stuff I tend to let pass is the stuff that falls between those two extremes. 

To use one of your examples: James Brown has enough chauvinist horseshit peppered in there to let you know he's definitely on some retrograde cro-mag stuff ("It's a man's world," "I just want to tell you about your do's and don'ts," "bring me that lickin' stick," and on and on and on), but it's not always right in your face. Because of that, I guess I feel like with him I can listen to The Music without feeling like I'm totally ignoring The Shit, but also without feeling like I'm constantly being asked to co-sign The Shit.

But, I mean, Bam's whole thing--the through-line of his art, his career, his iconography, and his personal example--really is that utopian ideal of "Peace, unity, love, and having fun!" It's there in song after song, record after record, interview after interview, ill-fitting t-shirt after ill-fitting t-shirt. If he was less aggressive in promoting that message throughout his body of work, it might make the contradiction easier to stomach. If I as a listener were not so often being asked to accept this relentlessly positive vision, it's possible I wouldn't be so preoccupied by these fresh revelations of his thirty-plus years as a serial sexual abuser.

I don't know. I'm having a real hard time with this.  

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Seems like another good reason to Beware The Cult Of Personality. People use power, celebrity etc because they can.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I brought this very issue up a while back.  Someone had just bought a collection to part out.  Amongst the standard fare was some Skrewdriver.  Said poaster was in a quandry as to whether to cash it in or take it out of circulation.  Should emotion be put aside?

I wondered (folll-lish-ly, out loud) as to where the line could be drawn between art and life and cited how it appears to be almost compulsory for Strutteurs to give, for example, MJ a pass (regardless of whether or not any of those stories were true, sheesh) but compulsory to gas face other artists for their public  misdemeanours.

The poaster was most displeased with my "Comparing MJ to Skrewdriver - MJ was mega-important in my life..." - "...How could I?" etc.

That wasn't my point at all.

There was a lot of butt-hurt on here [!] when MJ died and his proclivities were brought up. Famous = pass, recently passed = also a pass.

• Jimster said:
    I brought this very issue up a while back.  Someone had just bought a collection to part out.  Amongst the standard fare was some Skrewdriver.  Said poaster was in a quandry as to whether to cash it in or take it out of circulation.  Should emotion be put aside?

I wondered (folll-lish-ly, out loud) as to where the line could be drawn between art and life and cited how it appears to be almost compulsory for Strutteurs to give, for example, MJ a pass (regardless of whether or not any of those stories were true, sheesh) but compulsory to gas face other artists for their public  misdemeanours.

The poaster was most displeased with my "Comparing MJ to Skrewdriver - MJ was mega-important in my life..." - "...How could I?" etc.

That wasn't my point at all.

That's interesting, though not too surprising.

The bulk of us here on soulstrut are non-black dudes heavily focused on one or more types of black music. And, race relations between black and white being as historically fucked and imbalanced as they are, I think each of us harbors, as well we should, some ambivalence and/or some guilt regarding this fact of our musical tastes and our commercial appetites.

One of the common ways music dudes address this imbalance, whether we do it consciously or unconsciously, is to give black artists a pass where we might not for white artists.

I think sometimes this double standard is based on a well-meaning if misguided attempt to in some very small way "pay it back," and sometimes it's based on a more wrong-headed belief that "Well, their culture is just, you know, different." And while the specifics might vary depending on where a particular soulstrutter might live--I'm sure the black/white dynamic is different in the UK, for example, than here in the colonies--I think this is something most of us on the board do to a greater or lesser extent and for one reason or another.
    JimsterDuderonomy

• In a side note: I was icked out to realize just the other day that I own and enjoy a book (Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton's The Record Players, an excellent companion to their absolutely unfadeable Last Night A DJ Saved My Life) that contains interviews with both Bambaataa and Jimmy Savile.

That I made this realization while reading said book on the toilet only added to the sordidness of it all.  

I hope it didn't put you off your stroke

para11axDuderonomy

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    As a music dude this doesn't effect me that much, he is a huge influence as a DJ and record lover but I only play a couple of his actual songs.  I'm not gonna stop paying "funky music is the thing part 2" because the DJ I learned it from is likely(?) a pedophile. 

As a hip hop dude this sucks so bad.

As a supporter of gay rights I'm bummed I know imona see all kinds of stupid responses to this.

deezlee said:
    As a supporter of gay rights I'm bummed

I think sometimes this double standard is based on a well-meaning if misguided attempt to in some very small way "pay it back," and sometimes it's based on a more wrong-headed belief that "Well, their culture is just, you know, different." And while the specifics might vary depending on where a particular soulstrutter might live--I'm sure the black/white dynamic is different in the UK, for example, than here in the colonies--I think this is something most of us on the board do to a greater or lesser extent and for one reason or another.
    I think this is true, and factoring in celebrity (also Savile's "Men-In-Black Zapper") and the caucasian fear of the race-card, Bam was free to act with impunity.

I don't know if Meriman gets much coverage of UK current affairs but one recent headline grabber was the conviction of a ring of child abusers of British-Pakistani origin in Bradford.  Again, the mega-politically-correct social services workers feared accusations of racism so much that nothing was done for years and complaints fell on deaf ears.

I just hope that when/if he answers for his crimes, the f*cker enjoys his dinner-mashings the other way 'round.  I believe the saying is "It's better to give than to receive."

Duderonomyskel

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Jimster said:
    deezlee said:
    As a supporter of gay rights I'm bummed
    Ha! I forgot how international and sophisticated this forum's members are. 

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Wow. Looking for the perfect boy.

Is there anything in the idea that when a black man in hip-hop gets accused of this, the first thought is that it's just homophobia?*

*not that I'm conflating the two things of course!

• No.
    Is there anything in the idea that when a black man in hip-hop gets accused of this, the first thought is that it's just homophobia?*

*not that I'm conflating the two things of course!

• Is there anything in the idea that when a black man in hip-hop gets accused of this, the first thought is that it's just homophobia?*

I'm not sure I understand the question here: Are you asking whether the five (or however many) men accusing Bambaataa of raping them when they were younger are motivated by some anti-gay sentiment?

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    If the Sandusky case is a guide, then it might be a situation where people came forward and had their accusations ignored, investigations never started or badly run, or not enough proper investigation to paint a picture for a grand jury.

I'm not sure I understand the question here: Are you asking whether the five (or however many) men accusing Bambaataa of raping them when they were younger are motivated by some anti-gay sentiment?
    No no... I mean, maybe when rumours first start being heard that person X is a pederast, maybe some people are inclined to not take these rumours seriously enough because they think that if person X might be gay or anything that isn't full-on bitch-calling red-blooded hetero, then false rumours might be made out of homophobia, ignorance, or whatever.

Hip-hop hasn't seemed particularly inclusive in this respect, but if there's a bunch of successful, openly gay rappers I've missed, colour me misinformed.