part of a digging crew called Vinyl Ballaz
    ordering 12"s off Sandbox Automatic
    sample spotting DJ Shadow's new record Private Press
    running to the PO Box to see what CDs people sent me
    Trading CD-Rs with the Rehash Crew
    Buying rock records because it "has a break"
    Crates-List List-Serv
    AIMing DCastillo
    TSL, A-1, Gimme Gimme, (Big Black dude with record store in the Village---- what was the name!?)
    Wax Poetics Volume 1
    Paul Nice Breakz-4-Dayz

I can go on forever.
    kala

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    NEW DJ SHADOW!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    " (Big Black dude with record store in the Village---- what was the name!?)

KING GEORGE!

he's killing it in fl now

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    Sandbox Automatic.....omg

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey Hairy Moody,

Where was I in 2001?

1. I started the year residing in Wilmington, NC and fucking hating it (boring, racist-ass place related); Moved to Milwaukee, WI in July (not much better).

2. It was my 2nd year of marriage, and I had settled nicely into the lifestyle (i.e., adjustment period was over).

3. I was picking up that marriage weight.

4. I was posting on the Stones Throw message board on the regular.

5. I was buying hip-hop, making beats, and buying records on the weekly.

6. I was ordering records from Downstairs Records and Dusty Grooves on occasion (and CDs from Sandbox Automatic too).

7. I was an Assistant Professor (I.e., untenured) academic and stressed like a motherfucker!

8. I didn't have much of a life outside of work (boring, fucked up location-related).

9. As a military brat (and college grad), I was grappling poorly with living in non-military/non-college environments (related to points 1 and 8).

10. I was watching a gang of videos from Blockbuster every weekend (related to points 1, 8, and 9).

Suffice it to say, I was quite disenchanted during 2001.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    This week in 2001 I started work in Dublin on a year-long stint to put a bank's intranet in.  Flew back home every 2-4 weeks.  Drank like the bastard child of a pirate and a stormtrooper.  As the whole team did.  Great craic.  Lifelong friends.  Worked in three different locations and stayed in four different flats, including opposite the Guinness factory.  Downloading mixes to the laptop got me through it.  Got hip to the Bugz, Jazzanova, Mizells, Matthew Herbert, Gilles and dem.  Also copped Funakdelic live (they were great!) and live jazz on a Sunday afternoon at the Globe, IIRC.  Sat in with the Riverdance pit, who were blowing off steam shredding Coltrane - the boys can play.  Walked to work across a canal lock every day.  Only English feller in the building.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    2001? Think I was living in Bangkok, mostly drunk, digging for records and record spots, bowling, pool, tuk-tuks, clubs, a Mel C concert (free, but still NAGL), assorted "event" buffets, a close encounter with an AK47, numerous crazy girls, and friends I made for life.
    All that was interspersed with trips to Cambodia and Laos.
    kalaJimster

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    2001? Think I was living in Bangkok, mostly drunk, digging for records and record spots, bowling, pool, tuk-tuks, clubs, a Mel C concert (free, but still NAGL), assorted "event" buffets, a close encounter with an AK47, numerous crazy girls, and friends I made for life.
    i want more specifics dude
    this sounds like a book
    c'mon  lay some treats on us

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    kala said:
    i want more specifics dude
    this sounds like a book
    c'mon  lay some treats on us
    Hmmm, would take too long to go into detail really, but what I will say is that it's interesting how I found out about records then compared to now; on the Crates List John Stapleton (digger & compiler for Harmless) responded to my question about Thai heat that he knew DJ Prime Cuts had a great record with a Kool & The Gang cover by a band called The Impossibles. On here, Mo Majid told me of a spot to check with very vague directions to the effect of; cross the 8 lane main road near the national stadium and keep the klong on your right, there's a record shop in that direction.
    Now, everything is searchable... discogs, youtube, ebay, or google will turn up some info with no need for human interaction.

• i was in high school being called weird for listening to "old music"

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Shit  got real for me in 01:

Had a baby who will turn 15 this yr, eeeeesus
    Had a girlfriend who is now my wife
    Started a business that is still chuggin' along
    Was gifted a 3000 LP record collection that lived on the floor  of our tiny aptmnt. Pulled some stuff, sold the rest on the stoop. Mostly all canadian stuff.
     Was spinning Ayers, Mizell's, JB's, Little Beaver, GSHeron for days, Weldon Irvine, Shammek Farrah, Marc Moulin, Mike Kirkland..... down the rabbit hole some more. Organised Sound reprahsent!
    Planted and Smoked a lot of weed coming to terms w being a dad.  My   daughter was born Sept 8th: the 11th was one hell of  a trip for us, we were in such a bubble.