Lewis Taylor retirement

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Why did dude retire, and where is he now? Why, why, why.....

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I'm very sad about this as well. He was one of the relatively current artists I checked for new music from regularly. Now that he's not recording any longer, 99% of the music I buy is old stuff.

It might have something to do with hitting the "big time" by getting one of his songs ("Lovelight") recorded by Robbie Williams.

SG

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    yeah, thats weak (retirement), but respected, I just wanted to see dude live. A lot of shit from europe is just now getting released in the states.

anybody got a live show of his handy?

I actually had tickets to the San Francisco show he was supposed to play about 2 years ago that got cancelled at the last minute.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have three albums. Does he have more?

I have three albums. Does he have more?

Yes:

Lewis Taylor (UK-only release)
    Lewis II (UK-only release)
    Stoned part one (initial UK-only release)
    Stoned part two (initial UK-only release)
    Stoned (The US edition, merging the best parts of 1 and 2 above)
    Limited Edition 2004 (this is currently available only on iTunes)
    The Lost Album (initially released in the UK; a remastered version with bonus tracks was released in the US this past month)

Before the ST album, he released a few records under the name Sheriff Jack.

He also recorded a nearly-complete cover version of the Captain Beefheart "Trout Mask" album, which was briefly available on his fansite:

www.lewistaylormusic.com (----check this out for a fairly complete discography)

SG

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Apparently, he's quit music to write comedy. Not the usual kind of thing musicians do when they go into self-imposed exile, but then Lewis isn't your usual musician. I was kinda pleased that Robbie Williams covered "Lovelight" (did a good job of it, too) because I thought that at least Lewis is going to get some serious paper after a decade or more of being a cult figure whose records aren't so much released as they escape. But then it turns out to be the worst-selling album of Robbie Williams' career.

• Sorry to revive a really old thread but was just listening to his live performance from 2005 on KCRW and thought you may like to check it out http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning-becomes-eclectic/lewis-taylor