RIP Prince

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I cannot take 2016 anymore. Fucking hell.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    RIP

I was a major fan when I was younger.  Lost interest (like many) post, say, Batdance... but I saw him live not so long ago and he was still a giant as a musician.

Ironically, he always seemed younger than his years to me.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Still the best Superbowl performance ever.
    ketanDORBig_Stacks

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It's almost like musical giants are being targeted.
    Jagger and Macca must be thinking wtf

RIP to an amazing musician and songwriter.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Really?

Shit. R.I.P.

This is one of my PMG classics.  Wish it was available in better quality.  (Is it?)

Duderonomykicks79

• Just heard a loud gasp from my wife three rooms away.  Shocking.

Prediction:  Stuff will be popping out of his archives for years which will amaze and delight.  RIP to  real deal genius.
    Duderonomy

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Hard to believe this news. 

RIP to one of the greatest musical talents of our time.

ketancai

Prediction:  Stuff will be popping out of his archives for years which will amaze and delight. 
    Let's hope so!  I wonder how easy it will be to release stuff from the vaults though... it's a long process in the case of most deceased musicians, but Prince was the king of owning his shit.  Maybe that will make it a simpler process?  Or an impossible one?

• ketan said:
    Prediction:  Stuff will be popping out of his archives for years which will amaze and delight. 
    Let's hope so!  I wonder how easy it will be to release stuff from the vaults though... it's a long process in the case of most deceased musicians, but Prince was the king of owning his shit.  Maybe that will make it a simpler process?  Or an impossible one?

It could be I was being overly optimistic.  But I hope not.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    You got to be fucking kidding me!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    cant

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    If someone were to ask me "What's the greatest thing you've ever seen on the Internet?" It's this 80s footage of a James Brown concert with Michael Jackson and Prince appearing as special guests. Sadly, they have all passed on. RIP!

asstroSatchelmouth

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Sad, sad news. Read about his emergency landing the other day, but got the impression he was OK. Guess not.

R.I.P.

Will revisit this tonight:

https://www.mixcloud.com/pablodiscobar/dj-u-tern-the-purple-mix-prince-favorites/

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    batmon said:
    cant
    I am at a loss at this stage. Am in denial and will remain that way.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I wish I had seen him live. A friend from Minneapolis used to tell me about the surprise concerts he used to play there, especially around Christmas. And a guy at a bar once went on at length about how amazing Prince concerts were, he said the best he'd seen was one at Irving Plaza where Prince came on stage about 3 hours late but then played something like a 4-hour set of nothing but Parliament Funkadelic covers.

ppadilha said:
    I wish I had seen him live. A friend from Minneapolis used to tell me about the surprise concerts he used to play there, especially around Christmas. And a guy at a bar once went on at length about how amazing Prince concerts were, he said the best he'd seen was one at Irving Plaza where Prince came on stage about 3 hours late but then played something like a 4-hour set of nothing but Parliament Funkadelic covers.
    Not seeing him live is a huge regret for me now. 
    Duderonomy

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    I was lucky enough to see him live just a few months back.
    Just Prince and his piano. He totally killed it. Master of his craft and an entertainer of the highest order. Still had the women in the audience loosing their shit !
    Shit is beyond sad. I think i kind of thought that Prince couldn't die. 

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    para11ax said:

I am so deeply saddened by Prince's death, almost to the point of tears. I was privileged to finally see him perform live at Madison Square Garden a few years ago.  Amazing showman, indeed!!!  Prince is one of the few artists of my generation who has always left me awestruck.  If I had ever had the chance to meet the man, I probably would've been speechless.  His music was the soundtrack of my coming-of-age years.  He was a once-in-a-lifetime talent who changed music for the better.  I have so many favorites, I don't know where to begin.  Yet, I'll name "Crazy You" , a slept on classic from his debut "For You" LP.  Beautiful song (what a chord structure)!  RIP, Mr. Prince Rogers Nelson.  Your music and legacy will live on forever.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    kicks79ManItsAHighCastlepara11ax

• This is something for the...........
    asstro

• para11ax said:

I am so deeply saddened by Prince's death, almost to the point of tears. I was privileged to finally see him perform live at Madison Square Garden a few years ago.  Amazing showman, indeed!!!  Prince is one of the few artists of my generation who has always left me awestruck.  If I had ever had the chance to meet the man, I probably would've been speechless.  His music was the soundtrack of my coming-of-age years.  He was a once-in-a-lifetime talent who changed music for the better.  I have so many favorites, I don't know where to begin.  Yet, I'll name "Crazy You" , a slept on classic from his debut "For You" LP.  Beautiful song (what a chord structure)!  RIP, Mr. Prince Rogers Nelson.  Your music and legacy will live on forever.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Let the tears flow.  I teared up, too, surprising myself.  But he was that good.

Some of the most touching tributes are coming from Minneapolis.  It's part of his uniqueness that he stuck close to home. 
    Duderonomy

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

RIP 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Okem said:

RIP 
    His mate only stopped for a Ginsters...
    jjfad027

They were both unique, but I'm taking this much worse than Bowie.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Wasn't there a thread on here at one point that had stories from some dude that was a lighting guy on Rick James/Prince tour? Or am I imagining that?

RIP big time

I always liked/like to play Irresistible Bitch when DJing. It's so sparse but kills it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    Wasn't there a thread on here at one point that had stories from some dude that was a lighting guy on Rick James/Prince tour? Or am I imagining that?

RIP big time

I always liked/like to play Irresistible Bitch when DJing. It's so sparse but kills it.
    Yes, I remember those stories.  Prince quite the diva BITD.  Shocking loss.  Best vid I've seen today was this one:

https://www.facebook.com/156410267788699/videos/764597110303342/

Soundchecking before the NSJF to Wayne Shorter's "Footprints".

Duderonomy

This is an interesting interview about Prince's WB years

http://frank151.com/lenny-waronker-remembers-prince/
    Big_Stackskala

Done by Sloke and Mez in Austin 

Duderonomy