I'm the UK in May (What 2 Do?)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
I'll be in the UK for business from May 22-26.  I'll be stuck in Warwick for a day. (the business part)  But the other 3 days are vacation days and are up in the air?  I'll probably do London since I'm flying out of there.

Can any one recommend record stores?  Things to do?  Should I go to Scotland?

Taking this to the-Brits.com!

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    The travelling between Scotland and London would be a killer (bad traffic etc), I think you would want to do one or the other.
    Scotland is great for scenery (rental car a must), London has more to do. Natural History museum is great (architecturally my favourite), the British museum has stolen shit to make the world jealous, the Science museum is pretty cool if you like that stuff, I also like the V&A... all free if memory serves.
    Skel/Junior/Doc/Beatnick might have up-to-date advice on rekkids and other attractions.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yeah, Scotland is too far away for a four day visit. If you want to soak up some history Warwick has a lot of historic buildings and a pretty impressive castle. Most Brits kinda take that stuff for granted, but if you're going to come all the way to England, and to Warwick, I reckon the castle at least might be worth a visit, it's an impressive castle.
    [img]http://www.bader.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Warwick-Castle-1.jpg[/img]
    It's a been turned into a proper tourist experience because it's owned privately rather than by the National trust, so if you're down for period actors and 'authentic experiences' then it might be your thing. The Warwickshire area has lots of historic stuff to visit, Stratford-upon-Avon is close by, where you can visit the birth place of Shakespeare or go see a play by the Royal Shakespeare Society. Depends on what you want to get out of the trip really. If you're at all into the Ye'olde thing, or Shakespeare, or Tolkien etc then you're in a good part of the country to explore. London is great and has lots to offer any visitor, but there's so much more to see in England. 

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Why not spend some time in the armpit of the UK and see Birmingham in all its glory?

In all seriousness. If not London, North would be nice. But it would all depend on what kinda of stuff you'd want to do. If you like amazing countryside things going north of Leeds would be beautiful. IMO. 

But London might be a better fit unless you have some more time to spend. 

Probably best to stay clear of Leicester. Something tells me everyone in that city will be smashed for awhile around that time. 

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Just had connections visit Warwick Castle, said it was great, spent the whole day there.
    Scotland....nah. Too far.

Doesnt Leicester have that mad prog record shop?
    Not my bag, but then neither is the North, defined as anything above the Thames.
    The boy Jimster is local, he should opine.
    Orher than that, always up for a beer if you hit London, RAJ

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Leicester did use to have Ultima Thule, and that was about it as far as records go. Think it closed a few years ago.

Raj - if you like a castle, then Warwick's is worth a look, you can pop over 5 miles to see Kenilworth castle as well, although not as well preserved as Warwick since Cromwell got his feng shui on and knocked a few walls through.

If time is short, better to do Warwick, then head for London. Don't go to Coventry.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I am currently commuting to just outside Coventry three days a week...

..and Bennyboy is right.

Although the University of Warwick is right next to work, so if you are in that neck of Warwickshire, hit a mug up and I might be able to grab a beer in the campus bar.

BTW real UK heads pronounce it "Worrick" and "Worrick-sheh" respectively.  "War-wick-shy-err" will have 'em rolling in the aisles.

Scotland is probably too far and too big to see properly in a couple of days.  Its scale is not like, USA-vast, but neither are the roads - the great bits are off some wee routes and will take you a lot of time behind the wheel.  Unless you have the disposal of a private helicopter?

Nottingham is train-able from Warwickshire.  The beers are on me.  Castle is not the Disney-type anymore; various wars and such have generated rebuilds so the current castle is actually a massive house.

Chatsworth House is worth a visit, about 45 mins from us.  How the other half truly lived.  (and still live).

Skel got your back for London.  As you probably will be aware, UK is hella expensive, but you don't need to tip.

Also... the complete out-of-the-box suggestion... Do a couple of days in Spain (Ibiza, Barcelona (just got back from there; Duder is your man) or Seville) and deals can be had.  2 hour flight from  the UK.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Blokes... Thank you for the suggestions!

Fun fact:  I have never been to Europe!

So,  just seeing different beers and records with laminated covers will excite me.  Castles sound dope as well!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you go to Stratford-upon-Avon you can have a beer in a pub that's been a pub longer than the USA's been a country. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garrick_Inn,_Stratford-upon-Avon

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Or pop down the Roebuck in Warwick. Only dates back to 1470, a proper johnny come lately.

No records (Leamington would the nearest place with any vinyl) but plenty of good pubs and ale in Warwick, and you'll probably find my Dad playing his fiddle in one of them, as an english folk bonus ball.

Generally also worth noting that Brits are much more sarcastic and less enthusiastic about everything.  I used to work for an American client and when their execs were high-fiving each other in speeches and expecting choruses of whoops and such, you could hear a fucking pin drop.  #cringe.  We just don't go in for that.  It's how we produced The Smiths and the like
    kala

• Enough with this provincial expertise, as a pretty recent transplant londoner I wanna know if there are record spots I don't know in the big city. What's up?

Yeah yeah, The Bear in Oxford - 1242.

Oxford is doable for a day. Get some beers and food and take a punt down the Thames or Cherwell. Then swan around the colleges for some real life Harry Potter scenery.

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    eat the indian food, it's the best english food you can get and it looks like you will be not far from the mecca of english curry.

Rusholme is miles away, Foe.

RAJ said:
    I'll be in the UK for business from May 22-26.
    Admit it : You're coming to ask us to fix the "Like" button, aren't you?
    RAJ

Jimster said:
    RAJ said:
    I'll be in the UK for business from May 22-26.
    Admit it : You're coming to ask us to fix the "Like" button, aren't you?
    Bullocks.  Try it now.  
    DuderonomyJimsterbennyboy

About to board...

Going to be in Warwick for 2 days and then in London Wednesday and Thursday.

Duderonomy

• Be sure to check out Eldica Records & ask Andy about any good boozers or nights going on. He won't send you wrong.

8 Bradbury St, London N16 8JN.
    +44 20 7254 5220

RAJ

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I am watching this space. 

• Raj,
    the most important thing. Go to Nando's. How the hell has nobody mentioned that yet!!!!

also get some Walkers cheese & onion crisps

• Visit my favorite city in England, Bath.

peace, stein....

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Nando's: For those with aspiration slightly higher than KFC

::hated it::
    Jimster

The thing about Nando's is that each restaurant is slightly different: we had two in Oxford, the one on the centre was meh, but the Cowley road branch was great.

Gastro pub for an accurate barometer of English cuisine.

skel said:
    Nando's: For those with aspiration slightly higher than KFC

::hated it::
    You are really missing NOTHING by gas-facing Nandos.  And they are South African... "WHY DO YOU HATE MANDELLLAR??2//!!!?" etc.

Same for Wagamamas.  Unsure of their political leanings but their noodles taste like cardboard.

Srs doe, hit up the best curry place available.  Garlic naan days!!!!

Drinks with @Jimster tonight.  Just publicly making this available just in case it does not end well.

Co-worker: "How do you know this person?"

me:  "I met him on The Internet"

the_dLDOR

What's boggling my mind is there are no real good record store recommendations.  Where can I buy a Champs' record off the wall?

RAJ said:
    Drinks with @Jimster tonight.  Just publicly making this available just in case it does not end well.

Co-worker: "How do you know this person?"

me:  "I met him on The Internet"

Well, you started it...

Despite @SKEL 's hospitality, the last Britstrut did not end well for me.  @Duderonomy and I, back at the hotel bar, necking Tequilla like it was water.  After a skinful of Japanese ale.  I was OK until I stood up....  then there were many Duders in like, some Kaleidoscope filter.  Then I couldn't find my room.  Then I left my clothes behind.  Missed breakfast.  Almost missed the train.  24-hour hangover.  BUT I DID BRING BACK THE RAER - YOU GUYS!!!!

Srs doe, no Duderolympics for me as I am driving, and you have some schmoozing to do afterwards - I don't want to be held responsible for you selling the business for $1 via a poorly-placed "X" as you were unable to sign on the line.

Save that for London...
    Duderonomy

RAJ said:
    What's boggling my mind is there are no real good record store recommendations.  Where can I buy a Champs' record off the wall?

No, no records in teh UK.