turntable beginner

been looking at this turntable

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/all-tv--home-entertainment/sherwood/sherwood-pm9805-turntable/15566/

just wanted to ask some basic questions like will it chew my records? and will i need a preamp for this? i know for a couple more hundred i can get one of the entry level pro-ject turntables but i couldn't help being attracted to the price of this one. this is specifically just for listening to my records (no dj stuff intended). would i be better off just saving up for a pro-ject? any other recommendations or advice would be greatful.

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    "standard detachable head shell" should mean you can throw any cartridge / stylus (needle) on it. That's the only part of a turntable* that can hurt a record, so you're good.

*there are probably longtime record people who've seen turntables catch on fire or some automatic feature go maximum overdrive, but I have not

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Check reviews for the "Sherwood" brand and see what (if any) issues come up.

As the Duke said, removable cartridge is a good sign for your records, but I would worry about the motor. Is it belt-driven? Is it "Made In China" quality, or is it a decent build?

Good luck!

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Just save up another $400 for a 2nd hand 1200. 
    Years down the track if you don't want it you will still be able to sell it for $600.
    That Sherwood will be lucky to go for $100 2nd hand. 

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    If you want something that looks like a 1200 without spending that kind of money go for the Audio Technica ATLP120. If you really aren't planning to DJ either go with the U-Turn Orbit (with the upgraded components they offer) or save up for the Pro-Ject or an entry level Rega. Thats if you are dead set on buying a brand new turntable. You can make your money go really far if you are patient and keep tabs on your local Craigslist. 

• appreciate all the replies thank you

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Depends on what amp you already have, but if it doesn't have a phono input stage then you'll need to buy a phono amp as well. Most amp makers gave up on turntables long ago. You should be able to find a really good used deck for $200.