best TV show EVAR??

124»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    para11ax said:
    According to bodega boys the Wire, Star Wars and the Beatles are the three pillars of caucacity.
    I would suggest Seinfeld as a 4th.

In all seriousness, that has to be one of the very best shows of all time. 

Family Guy, too. It has some of the best writing I've ever heard.
    As much as i like Family Guy, isnt it just a cracked out Simpsons w/ pop reference overdose.
    And I would think Simpsons would still rank higher in Caucasity. 

• batmon said:
    I don't know about that. Lest we forget, Simpsons had its minute of street-level black co-sign (or at least black co-opt) back in the nineties, with all that bootleg black Bart shit. 

I feel like I maybe saw a blunt-smoking Stewie t-shirt in a swap-meet stall one time, but I still think Family Guy (which is irredeemably shitty in both writing and execution, by the way) is far whiter. 

• bassie2 said:
    The Wire still sits at the top of the list (though Simon's "go home, please" comments during Freddie Gray protests have left a sour note). Homicde has not aged well imo.
    Yeah, and on some art shit, I also felt like Simon's petulance with viewers' deep, deep engagement with The Wire (there were those couple-few interviews where he was pissy at how hard people were trying to interpret/figure shit out during the breaks between seasons, where his attitude was very much one of "Look, we'll tell you what you need to know when you need to know it--we know where it's going, you don't, so quit trying to make the show yours instead of ours") was shitty, and betrayed a real lack of perspective.

And not directing this at you, bassie2, but I think where one falls on Wire v. Homicide has a decent amount to do with which show you knew first and also the extent to which you experienced peak-period Wire Fever firsthand. I'm not sure that The Wire has aged any better than Homicide (speaking relatively, that is--mathematically, Homicide has of course aged a lot longer), but as with a lot of great TV shows, I think a lot of viewers bring to The Wire their memories of the communal energy and excitement that surrounded its initial unspooling, and I think for them this papers over some of the stuff that sticks in the craw of second-handers like me.

Homicide is certainly not without its problems, but I guess it's mostly shit that bothers me less in a long-game rank-and-file show like Homicide than in a condensed prestige show like The Wire.      

batmon said:
    I don't know about that. Lest we forget, Simpsons had its minute of street-level black co-sign (or at least black co-opt) back in the nineties, with all that bootleg black Bart shit. 

I feel like I maybe saw a blunt-smoking Stewie t-shirt in a swap-meet stall one time, but I still think Family Guy (which is irredeemably shitty in both writing and execution, by the way) is far whiter. 

No. 
    Cleveland was given his own show.

• batmon said:
    batmon said:

No. 
    We might be using different yardsticks, you and me. White-voiced black characters getting their own spin-offs notwithstanding, it still seems to me like Family Guy has never really had its moment of intersecting with real-life black people. 

vs. 

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    batmon said:
    para11ax said:
    According to bodega boys the Wire, Star Wars and the Beatles are the three pillars of caucacity.
    I would suggest Seinfeld as a 4th.

In all seriousness, that has to be one of the very best shows of all time. 

Family Guy, too. It has some of the best writing I've ever heard.
    As much as i like Family Guy, isnt it just a cracked out Simpsons w/ pop reference overdose.
    Def a cracked out Simpsons, but better laughs and far better writing. 

That said, my post states Seinfeld as a pillar of Caucasity (it's a 10.0 on the Caucasity scale), and treats Family Guy separately as an all-time great show while not commenting on how it registers on the Caucasity scale, although I'm sure it would be an 8.6.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    para11ax said:
    Seinfeld as a pillar of Caucasity (it's a 10.0 on the Caucasity scale)
    Seinfeld is a smart guy.  I think they were aiming for an 11.0 or more: It's meta-humour; Not just the gags themselves; it's the  knowingly- "How-Caucasian-Could-This-Be"-ness that made it work for me.

batmon said:
    batmon said:

No. 
    We might be using different yardsticks, you and me. White-voiced black characters getting their own spin-offs notwithstanding, it still seems to me like Family Guy has never really had its moment of intersecting with real-life black people. 

vs. 
    I remember Black Bart T-shirts in the 90's . That was Black Co-Op of a White character.
    The writers didn't all of sudden react to the received street cred and start adding Black supporting characters.

Family Guy were making Black pop references in their jokes from jump and featured a Black supporting character that was given a spin-off featuring his Black Family.
    I dont know anyone who watches Cleveland. But Family Guy yes. 

Justin Bieber = "White-voiced black characters".

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Jimster said:
    para11ax said:
    Seinfeld as a pillar of Caucasity (it's a 10.0 on the Caucasity scale)
    Seinfeld is a smart guy.  I think they were aiming for an 11.0 or more: It's meta-humour; Not just the gags themselves; it's the  knowingly- "How-Caucasian-Could-This-Be"-ness that made it work for me.
    Sayin'!

It might be the most honkified show I can think of...other than Coronation Street...

• It's great how I don't see (I think) Game of Thrones here. :D loads of people claim it's the best TV show ever. 

• batmon said:
    batmon said:
    batmon said:

No. 

vs. 
    I remember Black Bart T-shirts in the 90's . That was Black Co-Op of a White character.
    The writers didn't all of sudden react to the received street cred and start adding Black supporting characters.

Family Guy were making Black pop references in their jokes from jump and featured a Black supporting character that was given a spin-off featuring his Black Family.
    Simpsons = Timberland

Family Guy = TROOP

?     

• Love seeing these bumps.

at this point in my life I would now rate Arrested Development as the greatest tv show of all time.

batmon said:
    batmon said:
    batmon said:

No. 

vs. 

Simpsons = Timberland

Family Guy = TROOP

?     

Folks stopped watching the Simpsons a long time ago. Guess what audience kept it on television for all this time? And they dont wear Tims.

• sanford & son