New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

• I just put this LP out this week. You might like it if you're into psych/slacker kinda rawque

http://galkin.bandcamp.com/releases

Love this meditative trap/dubstep hybrid...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

Feeling this Deakin album

heard this on a nice system the other night (Coda in Toronto) and it was tiiiiight:

• I'm lukewarm on a lot of the Hieroglyphic Being stuff I've heard, but the focus, depth, and malignancy of this is hitting me just right. It's like Spy Vs. Spy with Larry Heard and Alec Empire. Chicago death-ride through the Valley Of The Kings. I can't wait to hear this on a shitty system.

This is tight (friend of mine)

Junior

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I'm quiet of touch with contemporary R&B but this mixtape by Jane Handcock is very good, isn't it?

http://www.djcarisma.com/2016/02/26/new-mixtape-jane-handcock-truth-be-told/

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    my new theme tune

ketan

• cloud9cloud9 49 Posts

I'm just starting Blonde... Pink + White is

Edit:  Wooooooo

Edit part deux: I love the album.  

Someone in the Guardian said it was disappointing - called it a "hookless morass".  Terrible opinion IMO. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/aug/22/best-randb-blond-king-abra-frank-ocean

ketan said:
    I'm just starting Blonde... Pink + White is

Edit:  Wooooooo

Edit part deux: I love the album.  

Someone in the Guardian said it was disappointing - called it a "hookless morass".  Terrible opinion IMO. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/aug/22/best-randb-blond-king-abra-frank-ocean
    Just starting to listen to this now. I don't really even know what I want at this stage but very interested to hear what he's been up to.I do have fears that it's going to be extremely Kanye'd (self consciously sprawling and moments of brilliance wedged between self indulgence)

Disclaimer: I adored Nostalgia, Ultra but had much more of a "it's good but not especially for me" reaction to Channel Orange.

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts
    Oh here it is. Yea, I love it. 
    Nikes video is stunning. At first, I was wishing he had gone for a true falsetto as opposed to the borderline cartoon high-pitch, but now I'm a believer.
    Endless - both visually and sonically - was so soothing.

Interesting about Kanye - he's a good example of a talented artist with no soul. Frank Ocean still has his intact.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Rushes To 
    !!!!!!! So good

bassie2 said:
    Interesting about Kanye - he's a good example of a talented artist with no soul. Frank Ocean still has his intact.

I don't know if I agree with that, but Ouch!

bassie2 said:

Ha! I can certainly see where you're coming from, I couldn't make it through Pablo due to the constant hamfisted attempts at forced emotional impact.

Ok, the Strut consensus suggests I need to properly listen to this album today....

bassie2 said:
    Nikes video is stunning. At first, I was wishing he had gone for a true falsetto as opposed to the borderline cartoon high-pitch, but now I'm a believer.
    Endless - both visually and sonically - was so soothing.

I agree.  It reminds me of how epic Wolves is on Pablo.  And Frank is on the outro to the album version of that.

In terms of the high voice, it reminds me of how Eddie Harris sings on some of his mid-70s albums, and how Stevie would do/still does it sometimes. It's hard to pull off!

Does anyone know the story behind the anti-drug voicemail messages from that mom??  

~~-+-~~~~-+-~~~~-+-~~~~-+-~~~~-+-~~

So I think Pablo has really held together well.  What I find amazing about it is the musicality of it. It works as an album in spite of how many different combinations of producers come together on the different songs. He's like Quincy on Thriller on steroids.

I ultimately lost interest in the Miguel album from last year (wildbird? wildheart.) but the other r&b album that has really held up for me is Free TC.  I'm even sold on the acoustic Babyface jernt at this point.

Jimster said:
    Music is nice, enjoyed a lot. His lyrics are... pfffft-y.

ketan said:

So I think Pablo has really held together well.  What I find amazing about it is the musicality of it. It works as an album in spite of how many different combinations of producers come together on the different songs. He's like Quincy on Thriller on steroids.

Wait a fucking minute, Imma have to interrupt you there. You're comparing Kanye with Quincy from an album made by other producers for Kanye to phone in some bullshit thoughts about gossip magazine headlines? Surely Kanye is like James Lavelle getting Shadow to produce his vanity project. Quincy Jones did the legwork for MJ. But MJ brought a lot more to the table than Kanye.

Or am I missing something here? Walk me through this and where exactly talent became paying for others to do the work.

ketan said:

Let me just say, in a revised preface to my earlier statement, that I wasn't trying to comparatively rank Quincy and Kanye here. The steroids bit had to do with Kanye's hyperness. 
    Wait a fucking minute, Imma have to interrupt you there. You're comparing Kanye with Quincy from an album made by other producers for Kanye to phone in some bullshit thoughts about gossip magazine headlines? 
    First, let me just say one thing: how DARE you interrupt my evening? *sniff*

It sounds like you don't think Kanye does anything when he produces his music! That's cool. I dunno, I guess I still rate him as a musician.

Surely Kanye is like James Lavelle getting Shadow to produce his vanity project. Quincy Jones did the legwork for MJ. But MJ brought a lot more to the table than Kanye.

ew. Never liked UNKLE stuff beyond some of the initial remixes, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO7YreRk6QA

Quincy Jones did the legwork for MJ. But MJ brought a lot more to the table than Kanye.

Imma be real with you: I literally just assume that when Kanye puts out a song that he is credited as producer and artist, he has some significant creative influence on what the songs end up sounding like. He actually seems like the type of person who finely pours over details and is a bit of a dick about it.

I don't like some of the albums he's done over his career, but I think the collection of songs on Pablo are ahead of the game.

Like, for example, take the number of elements on Ultralight Beam, including what seems to be a lot of new instrumentation and multiple vocal contributors/lyricists. Those people aren't collaborating without some direction. Their creative contributions are being directed by someone with a vision for the song/performance. That's how I always thought of Quincy as a producer (I haven't seen any docs on him, just based on interviews/etc again)... like a movie director, almost.  
    Or am I missing something here? Walk me through this and where exactly talent became paying for others to do the work.
    I think there can be great musicians who work on the level of themselves doing (mostly) everything, save for some guest performances. But there are also those who are great because they have a grander vision and still manage to kill it.
    Duderonomy

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    do people actually think kanye didn't touch the music at all and only wrote the lyrics? that sounds backwards, only reason i can listen to dude rap at all is because he got good ghostwriters now. 

foe said:
    do people actually think kanye didn't touch the music at all and only wrote the lyrics?
    Yes.

https://www.kanyewest.com/credits/

Looking past the fact that he's given himself top billing on all producitons, there's no reason he'd list that many co-producers and engineers unless they actually did the production. This is Kanye we're talking about.

For example:

FAMOUS
    CO-PRODUCTION: NOAH GOLDSTEIN FOR ARK PRODUCTIONS, INC., CHARLIE HEAT FOR VERY GOOD BEATS, INC. & ANDREW DAWSON
    ADDITIONAL PRODUCTION: HUDSON MOHAWKE, MIKE DEAN #MWA FOR DEAN'S LIST PRODUCTIONS & PLAIN PAT
    ENGINEERING: NOAH GOLDSTEIN, ANDREW DAWSON, ANTHONY KILHOFFER & MIKE DEAN

And with that many producers involved, what is Kanye actually doing?
    Contrast with College Dropout - all tracks produced by Kanye West unless otherwise stated... exec producer Jay Z, last track co-produced with Evidence & Porse.

I love the beats on the album, I'm just highly sceptical that Kanye's input involved anything more than financing some of the best producers in the game. The guy spreads his time between sneakers, gate-crashing acceptance speeches, and Hobbit husbandry, he doesn't have time to actually make music anymore, and when he's that rich why bother?

ketan said:

Imma be real with you: I literally just assume that when Kanye puts out a song that he is credited as producer and artist, he has some significant creative influence on what the songs end up sounding like. He actually seems like the type of person who finely pours over details and is a bit of a dick about it.

Hmmm.... Still Dre. Lyrics were written by Jay-Z, beat by Storch & Mel-Man, but Dr Dre is the first name in the production credits. He's just the name fronting the product. Still Scott Storch & Mel-Man with ghost-lyrics by S. Carter just isn't as catchy.

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    foe said:
    do people actually think kanye didn't touch the music at all and only wrote the lyrics?
    Yes.

https://www.kanyewest.com/credits/

Looking past the fact that he's given himself top billing on all producitons, there's no reason he'd list that many co-producers and engineers unless they actually did the production. This is Kanye we're talking about.

For example:

FAMOUS
    CO-PRODUCTION: NOAH GOLDSTEIN FOR ARK PRODUCTIONS, INC., CHARLIE HEAT FOR VERY GOOD BEATS, INC. & ANDREW DAWSON
    ADDITIONAL PRODUCTION: HUDSON MOHAWKE, MIKE DEAN #MWA FOR DEAN'S LIST PRODUCTIONS & PLAIN PAT
    ENGINEERING: NOAH GOLDSTEIN, ANDREW DAWSON, ANTHONY KILHOFFER & MIKE DEAN

And with that many producers involved, what is Kanye actually doing?
    Contrast with College Dropout - all tracks produced by Kanye West unless otherwise stated... exec producer Jay Z, last track co-produced with Evidence & Porse.

I love the beats on the album, I'm just highly sceptical that Kanye's input involved anything more than financing some of the best producers in the game. The guy spreads his time between sneakers, gate-crashing acceptance speeches, and Hobbit husbandry, he doesn't have time to actually make music anymore, and when he's that rich why bother?
    yes, he seem to have hired a bunch of people to do everything but the vocals and by doing that he has made his best album yet. pablo>>college
    i celebrate the change.

ketan said:

Hmmm.... Still Dre. Lyrics were written by Jay-Z, beat by Storch & Mel-Man, but Dr Dre is the first name in the production credits. He's just the name fronting the product. Still Scott Storch & Mel-Man with ghost-lyrics by S. Carter just isn't as catchy.
    Even if that's what has been going on with Dre, it doesn't mean Kanye is doing the same thing when he puts his name in front of a bunch of credits.  

I guess I'd just like to see some interviews with people in the know talking about how Kanye is a shell of his former producer-self.  Some smoke from the fire.  (By all means, show me up!)