If I like "Mobb Deep - Infamous" then I might like

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    please recommend me albums with rapping on them

Have you checked out Gil Scott Heron? Or Bob Dylan?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

But if you dont think they resemble each other then thats fine. Maybe you could list some modern rappings and musics that 'resemble' infamous. its up to you.

I think it's probably a mistake to look for modern music that sounds like that album--not even Mobb Deep sounds like that anymore, and I definitely wouldn't recommend wasting one's time with fanboy acts trying to capture an anachronistic sound.

I would instead focus on lesser-known stuff from the same period.

You could check out Tragedy's earlier recordings as being among the progenitors of that QB style.

Or--and maybe this is old news for you--you could check out Smif-n-Wessun's album, which doesn't really sound the same, but definitely has a similar bleak NYC wintertime texture.

I feel like Infamous was one of the last albums of an era and rap was changing so rapidly at that time that even a little more than a year later when they released Hell on Earth, the group was in a totally different place. So I'd recommend going earlier rather than later.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

I feel like Infamous was one of the last albums of an era and rap was changing so rapidly at that time that even a little more than a year later when they released Hell on Earth, the group was in a totally different place. So I'd recommend going earlier rather than later.

• "infamous" is almost the only rap album i revist these days - a true classic. i was even burning copies for some of my friends recently. "did you ever hear this one?"

why is it, though, that so much of the other hip hop i used to be in to seems to have lost it's flavor so fast, just like it was juicy fruit?

• This is a good call. So is Noyd's "Episode of a Hustler"

4-5-6 is seriously underrated.

I was deeeeep into that record for a while. Gonna have to throw that back on; been awhile.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

But if you dont think they resemble each other then thats fine. Maybe you could list some modern rappings and musics that 'resemble' infamous. its up to you.

I think it's probably a mistake to look for modern music that sounds like that album--not even Mobb Deep sounds like that anymore, and I definitely wouldn't recommend wasting one's time with fanboy acts trying to capture an anachronistic sound.

I would instead focus on lesser-known stuff from the same period.

You could check out Tragedy's earlier recordings as being among the progenitors of that QB style.

Or--and maybe this is old news for you--you could check out Smif-n-Wessun's album, which doesn't really sound the same, but definitely has a similar bleak NYC wintertime texture.

I kinda figured as much, but I thought I would ask just in case I'm missing something.....

This has been a good thread though.....

• then I might like "________________________"

Please fill in this blank for me. I want to hear more rappings and musics like this.

well, you would not necessarily like any subsequent Mobb Deep albums, that's for sure. none of them have come close to that album.

Rubbish,"Hell on Earth" is a great follow up.

cosign. Similar (if not more) dark feeling type album. Dope record.

Might want to look at Show and AG - goodfellas

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Now thats a crummy record

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Not as good, but it has its moments...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    check out Smif-n-Wessun's album

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

This is a good call. So is Noyd's "Episode of a Hustler"

4-5-6 is seriously underrated.

I was deeeeep into that record for a while. Gonna have to throw that back on; been awhile.

HELL YEAH I just listened to this yesterday.

• has a similar bleak NYC wintertime texture

or black moon

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    yo links looked fubar to me.

I fix below

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    @batmon 

Only need to copy and paste youtube links now...

no more need for embed code

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
     bull_ox said:

Now thats a crummy record

It just blows my mind that someone could describe Goodfellas as "crummy". I can see being disappointed if you were expecting Runaway Slave part 2... but crummy?!!

Nice thread revisit though

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I ride HOARD for Goodfellas.  It's actually a classic to me.  And I think it's a good suggestion for the OP.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    ketan said:
    I ride HOARD for Goodfellas.  It's actually a classic to me.  And I think it's a good suggestion for the OP.

ditto, it's aged better than runaway slave imo
    also I would add EPMD Back in Business to the list.

Back In Business and Goodfellas sound like The Infamous???

Could yall name some songs that are similar? 

The thing is that nothing sounds like The Infamous or Hell On Earth because Havoc's production (you know what I'm talking about - boom with the extreme bap) was a really distinct element of the group back then.  So I actually couldn't thing of something to recommend.  But I think Goodfellas has the same general vibe in terms of soundscape and lyrical content, so if you like the one you might like the other...

(wait for it...)

ketan said:
    The thing is that nothing sounds like The Infamous or Hell On Earth because Havoc's production (you know what I'm talking about - boom with the extreme bap) was a really distinct element of the group back then.  So I actually couldn't thing of something to recommend.  But I think Goodfellas has the same general vibe in terms of soundscape and lyrical content, so if you like the one you might like the other...

Cool

I dont think AG or Showbiz sounds anything like Prodigy and Havoc.......delivery, voice, content, or skill.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

Conway is bringing that bleak grimey sound in 2016 - reminds me of mobb deep in more than a few ways - still different

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    batmon said:
    ketan said:

Cool

I dont think AG or Showbiz sounds anything like Prodigy and Havoc.......delivery, voice, content, or skill.

I think you right Batmon, but I think in terms of "feel/vibe," it's comparable. I mean, shit, one of my fav tracks on the album got Show and AG questioned regarding the murder of their manager. If that ain't Mobb Deepy, I dunno what is.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    The_Non said:
     one of my fav tracks on the album got Show and AG questioned regarding the murder of their manager.
    Not heard that before, which track?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Apparently I can't figure out yt on here right now: "I'm Not The One"

batmon said:
    ketan said:

Cool

Naw, you're right.  I hadn't analyzed it like that.  Havoc and Showbiz sound nothing like each other.  

But AG and P kinda have a similar effervescence, even if they're very different rappers. 

Even if they sound nothing like Mobb Deep, this. beat.

batmon said:
    Back In Business and Goodfellas sound like The Infamous???

Could yall name some songs that are similar? 
    the name of the thread was I might like, not sounds identical.

tho