Charleston, SC recommendations?

The wife and I are headed to Charleston, SC area for a much needed vacation in April and I know nothing about the area. We've got a hotel for the first half in downtown Charleston, but the second half of our week is still unplanned and we'd like to book someplace cool in the region. Maybe the islands, or maybe an inland plantation.

Anyone have recommendations for:
A place to stay for a few days anywhere in the area
Food
BBQ spots (I'll travel a few hours for this)
Stuff to do
Record spots

Thanks in advance if anyone is in the know...

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Food: 

• Edmund's Oast is great if you like places that take their beer as seriously as their food.  I'd recommend it for a mildy 'fancy' dinner.  
    • Tattooed Moose is a great lunch spot/hangover cure.
    • Hank's Seafood is one of the better sea food spots downtown.  It's a bit fancy/pricey but well worth it.
    • EVO Pizza out in North Charlston is great too.  If you find yourself in the Park Circle area, that is definitely worth checking out.  
    • I got more recommendations.  I'll dm you my cell number.  Just text me when you are looking for spots and I can give you some ideas.

BBQ Spots:

• Hometeam BBQ is out in West Ashley.  Get the dry rub wings.  The brisket is also really damn good.  I know this sounds 'meh' but they have a really good bbq burrito; if you get it, ask for an extra serving of the spicy'relish.
    • Smoke is also supposedly pretty good but I haven't tried it.  There are others that are pretty solid but not as good as Hometeam IMHO (Swig and Swine, The BBQ Joint, Bessingers).
    • NOTE: AVOID Maurice's BBQ.  Not only is it average at best, the owner is an unapologetic segregationist who puts a bunch of white supremacy flyers at the Cashier counter.  I don't think they actually do that anymore, but fuck them anyways...there aren't any within Charleston but you might see some on the way.  

Record Spots:

• Monster Music has been around forever.  They typically know what they have and charge accordingly.
    • The Vinyl Countdown is relatively new and I haven't checked it out yet.  Some homies said they've been through it already and it was pretty decent.  Not sure what you are looking for specifically.
    • ***My favorite*** The Ladson Flea Market it sets up on Saturday and Sunday.  It's a huge flea market that is perfect for record digging, people watching, getting Mexican food.  You can get a 45, some socks, a ninja star and a ferret within 10 minutes.  Get stoned....go out there...have fun...nuff said.
    • Good Will in James Island, Downtown and North Charleston all occasionally have goodies and they sell them for almost nothing.

Stuff to do:

• Folly Beach is great.  If you want to get away from tourists, go to East 13th street or further down.  You can get some beer at Bert's Market, put em in an insulated cup and walk around, catch the sunset, etc.  Beer is technically not allowed on the beach but no one cares as long as you put it in a discrete cup.  
    • Melton Peter Demetre Park is a great spot to catch the sunset.  Locals call it hidden beach or sunset beach.  Here is the address: 640 Wampler Drive Charleston, SC 29412
    • McLeod Plantation has been highly recommended to me but I am yet to go.  It's a Plantation that concentrates more on the real deal of what that life was and less on glorifying the tea sipping Gone With The Wind style fake antebellum south that a lot of the bigger Plantations go for.  It's also close to a good local brewery called The Tradesman.

Places to Stay:

• I'd offer our spot but we have our house on the market and I don't know where the heck we'll be living at that point.  Also, we might not be in town when yall are around.
    • There are some decently priced cabins on the marsh in James Island Park.  Those will be about 10 minutes from downtown (in a car) and 10 minutes from Folly Beach.  
    • There are tons of nice houses to rent on Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, Folly Beach etc.  I live here so I don't know much about the rates or what companies are best.

Let me know when yall will be in town.  I'll try to time it so my wife and I are around, as well.  

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    This is more than I expected and very much appreciated! I'll hit you up closer to the date to see if you guys happen to have some time. If not, I'll visit most of the places you mentioned. Thanks!