How to Identify a first pressing record, (45 rpm) by just looking at it?

Strutaway99Strutaway99 U.S.A 10 Posts
edited January 2016 in Record Collecting

How to Identify a  first pressing record, (45 rpm) by just looking at it? Does anyone have that knowledge?

I can not find anything concrete on how to quickly id first pressing 45rpm records.

Comments

• Strutaway99Strutaway99 U.S.A 10 Posts

How to Identify a  first pressing record, (45 rpm) by just looking at it? Does anyone have that knowledge?

I can not find anything concrete on how to quickly id first pressing 45rpm records.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ok. You just found some 45s.
    Now you are rich, rich, rich.
    But how to be sure?
    You will need to know the exact value of each 45.
    You will need to know the if they are first pressings.

First pressings will always have a date on the label of the pressing.
    If there is no date it is a repress.
    Here is the Manship online price guide: http://www.raresoulman.co.uk/search/Artist/Search+Term/list, you can add 20-50% if it is a really rare record, like over $50.00.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    experience

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Look at that 45.... Just Look at It!

ketan

• i'm interested in how to identify a first pressing WITHOUT even looking at it. ideally without even holding it. does anyone have that knowledge?
    LaserWolfkicks79skel

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    i'm interested in how to identify a first pressing WITHOUT even looking at it. ideally without even holding it. does anyone have that knowledge?
    place the minivinyl in this baby's lap.  if her eyes open, it's a first pressing.  if they don't, then you will have failed to appease her.

that baby has not failed me yet.  and she looks pretty hanging over my mixer.  not creepy at all.
    skel

• definitely not creepy at all

• BUT IS THE BABY A FIRST PRESSING???

kicks79skel

• I always went with the toffee hammer theory.

Place the record on a hard surface and give it a good whack with a toffee hammer. If it breaks up like toffee, it's the first press. With the later pressings the hammer will be rejected by the vinyls. Here is an example of the first press:

kalaskelketanLaserWolf

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    Dear OP
    Fucking demanding spammy kunt ain't ya?
    skel

• guys I just found some "vinyls" of LP... am I rich now. where do I collect $