Brussels / Belgium / Amsterdam

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
I'm heading to Brussels for a week in April.  I'm also going to Amsterdam for one day and night.

Suggestions for Record Stores?  Eats?  Drinks?  Things to do?

Thanks!

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    reverse that itinerary if possible

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    also king’s day is 4/27 which means amsterdam turns into the biggest flea market / rave on the planet
    this is worth planning a trip around 

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    kala said:
    reverse that itinerary if possible
    I'm in Brussels on business April 11-14.  I have a couple days off before I fly back.  Going to Amsterdam on those days off.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    brussels is ok but pales in comparison to holland 
    there are 5-6 record stores in antwerp and the dollar is strong to the eu so i’m sure you will pull heat at market value
    nico gomez on lock kid
    but i implore you to change your trip around and spend all the time in holland and make brusells a day trip
    book a room with airbnb it’s so much more personal  and home like than a hotel

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    waxwell  a 15 minute walk from central station in amsterdam and is tough to beat for variety price and service.
    he takes trades and is great to deal with
    indonesian food / table feast dinners are great as is all seafood related cuisine
    hard to have a bad meal in amsterdam

• Brussels has some good records stores and easily to find in the centre...there was also a big beer hall which had markets on sundays i think..behind it is also another record shop.....Holland has a lot too..voodou records??? I think from memory ( memory is easily"lost" in the dam), redlight records (some serious heat), rush hour...biggest thing is markets where you can find seller in little stalls selling stuff cheap...4-5 euro's..even in smallers town youll find heaps...ask around most cats speak english...great beer in Belgium...let me know if you need any more info EZ

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Pickles said:
    great beer in Belgium..
    Looking forward to this.  LOVE BELGIAN BEER!

• the Hoegaarden "Grand Cru" is the champagne of beers and  is well worth hunting out amongst the many many others...did i mention many?/ def some good records to be scored in all seriousness..

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I had a Sunday in Brussels last year and struggled to find anything to do (everywhere closes)... However you must visit Victor Horta's old house, which is now the Horta museum. Probably the best residence I have ever set foot in

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Amsterdam has nice bars but must be one of the worst cities for eating out unless you really, really like Indonesian, falafels or omelettes. Brussels has great food and some good record shops but, yeah, not quite so much fun.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    ha, just read your post, Kala. We'll have to agree to disagree on the merits of 'Dammer cuisine!
    kala

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    I have within the last year had incredible world class authentic thai,sushi,indo,indian and vegetarian food in amsterdam, rotterdam,utrecht,harlem and groningen that rivals the same fare found in NYC.

It seems that the food has gotten better over the years and there are more choices than ever before...

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Pickles said:
    great beer in Belgium..
    Looking forward to this.  LOVE BELGIAN BEER!

• kala said:
    I have within the last year had incredible world class authentic thai,sushi,indo,indian and vegetarian food in amsterdam, rotterdam,utrecht,harlem and groningen that rivals the same fare found in NYC.

It seems that the food has gotten better over the years and there are more choices than ever before...

Indonesian food is fantastic in the netherlands..seeing the west indies was a dutch colony has made it very poopular...alkmaar also has a good little market..it was small but a seller had 4 tables of very nice stuff there all on sale half price with most titles going for 5 euro