The Whispers video appreciation thread

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited January 2016 in Music Talk
This video has been highly acclaimed on the strut before:

But there's more to enjoy:

Unrivalled.

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    What's amazing about the Keep On Loving Me video is that I've yet to show it to someone who doesn't immediately fall in love with it. And if they're from LA, people go especially ape-shit.

btw, dude on the right in the still shot of the "This Time" video looks like Herbie.

• such great songs, such great videos.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    What's amazing about the Keep On Loving Me video is that I've yet to show it to someone who doesn't immediately fall in love with it. And if they're from LA, people go especially ape-shit.

I was going to say the same thing. Regardless of your feelings about the song (of which I am quite fond), you're probably going to love the video.

My indie rocker brother and his friends posted it all over facebook and got geeked over it.

• minimini 879 Posts

• minimini 879 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mini said:

I remember an NWA interview where Eazy-E was like "now u got the Whispers rappin???"

had to be posted eventually. sort of weird to see em do something with a budget.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    disco_che said:

Does anybody recognize what city this walking to the music takes place in? I want to go there and re-enact it with my wife and kids.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    disco_che said:

Does anybody recognize what city this walking to the music takes place in? I want to go there and re-enact it with my wife and kids.

I'm no expert, but I remember someone saying Century City, LA

Phill With 2 Ls said:
    disco_che said:

Im guessing Detroit. Google the skyline and see those three shiny buildings.

batmon said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    disco_che said:

Im guessing Detroit. Google the skyline and see those three shiny buildings.

100% Los Angeles. They start outside the Pacific Design Center in W Hollywood (or "The Blue Whale", as we call it -- you might recognize it, however, as Sandra Bullock's apartment complex in Demolition Man).

Then when they're walking, that's Century City, before they remodeled the crap out of it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I can't believe I've never seen that video before. I've wasted my life.

I now want to do a remake of this around Potsdamer Platz.

• Is Woimsah still around?
    We had a pretty good/stupid argument over the best part of LA to vacation in.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    I have watched this nearly 500 times. Never fails to put me in a good mood. That track kills in the club too.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    coolchris said:
    I have watched this nearly 500 times. Never fails to put me in a good mood. That track kills in the club too.

I think somebody might have done one of those smack-house/slo-mo-disco re-edits of it as well. I seem to remember hearing one which flipped a Whispers tune a few years ago.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    coolchris said:
    I have watched this nearly 500 times. Never fails to put me in a good mood.

Caldwell especially.

Marvin has some reverential songs. I think they are the only dudes to give Hathaway that love.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Cosigned to the max. Amazing repertoire of videos.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DOR said:
    coolchris said:
    I have watched this nearly 500 times. Never fails to put me in a good mood.

Caldwell especially.
    No doubt. On my list of Music Video Moves To Someday Master, the Nicholas Caldwell newspaper-fold-transitioning-into-Mashed-Potato-quickstep maneuver from the "Keep On Lovin' Me" video is definitely close to the top.

I am, alas, still toiling near the bottom while endlessly fine-tuning my Eddie Money popeyed-fingersnap-white-scarf-dip-spin-transitioning-into-passenger-side-entry from the "Shakin'" video.

I'll get there, though. Caldwell is the beacon. "If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing."
    Junior

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    coolchris said:

I think somebody might have done one of those smack-house/slo-mo-disco re-edits of it as well. I seem to remember hearing one which flipped a Whispers tune a few years ago.

Lyrics Born sampled it for "Callin' Out"

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    coolchris said:

Junior

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    That location is actually near the Bonaventure building downtown Los Angeles.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    RIP Nicholas Caldwell!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    RAJ said:
    RIP Nicholas Caldwell!
    Damn. R.I.P.

Like I mentioned above. He always put me in a good mood when I saw him in videos. Him struttin' in Keep on Lovin' Me is a pure delight.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    pcmr said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    coolchris said:

That's kind of awesome!