Technics 1200 is back. For real this time.

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Comments

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Me want dees. 

But I'm expecting a $2K (or higher) price per unit.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I'm thinking closer to $1,000 but who knows. 

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I read 4k on that Japanese press release 

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    For those first 1200 limited editions though right? I meant for the tables released after that. Maybe Para11ax's $2k guess is closer. In which case, I'll just recondition my current 1200 and 1210 and save $3500.
    para11axstratasphere

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    How much are these going for used now-a-days.  I bought my MK5 new for $400 in 2003.  Then a used MK2 for $250 around the same year.

Used 1200 MK2 are going for around $300-400 now

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    nope, the limited edition will be $4k & after they are gone the standard model will also be $4k.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Wow crazy price !
    But aren't they being marketed as a more audiophile version ?
    Also the stats say that they are 18kg ?!  that seems seriously heavy for a turntable no ?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    what's that blather about "50th Anniversary Limited Edition "? The SL 1200 series isn't 50 years old or is it? As far as I know it was introduced in the early 80s...

what's that blather about "50th Anniversary Limited Edition "? The SL 1200 series isn't 50 years old or is it? As far as I know it was introduced in the early 80s...
    Technics first speaker came out in 1965

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    1972 according to wiki.

• chasechase 767 Posts

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Used 1200 MK2 are going for around $300-400 now
    Just bought this one with two Ortofon Concorde System in full working condition for 150€. I guess I've been lucky.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Used 1200's have held their value really well ever since Technics stopped production. Even a hammered club table will get 200 bucks these days. B&H Photo in NYC still have some brand new in box MK5's for sale for over 2000 dollars!

That said, I don't think these newly updated tables are aimed at the DJ market at all. The only currently produced direct drive audiophile tables are all well over $15K, for fun google the VPI Classic Direct Drive, Kodo The Beat, and Monaco Grand Prix turntables. If the re-designed drive on this new model is as good as Technics claims the audiophile crowd will consider 4000 dollars a bargain. Between them and all of the newly minted millionaires in Asia these days they won't have a problem selling these things without DJ's. If I was in the market for a brand new DJ table I'd look at the Pioneer PLX-1000, it seems like best of the DJ tables on the market these days.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    why the fuck would we have to pay £4000 in the UK?

• Their answer for the general high price question is that manufacturing for decades had brought costs down, and when they stopped making them all the tooling either was destroyed, lost or not good enough to re-use, so all the expensive manufacturing tooling stuff had to be re-made. So they took the opportunity to redesign it since they couldn't just make it on the old tools anyway.

That said, £4000 does not = 4000 USD or 400000 yen. Some bullshit.