How old is too old? (DJ related)

A lot of my cities top earners are approaching their 40s
HipHop House,
Obviously there are a bunch of young johnny come latelies and we all know about Keb Darge and MrScruff or Dimitri being older
Even teh one Day has some grey hairs and is one of my favorite DJs
I get that if this is your livelyhood you are not going anywhere but are you really loading HipHop crates at 52? Spin at your own 60th?

What are your thoughts and I am sure some of you are 40+ DJs
TAGGED:

Comments

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    fwiw, David Rodigan turns 65 this year.

This is maybe an unwise comparison, but seeing an older DJ performing is somewhat akin to seeing an old fart rocker shredding away on an axe.

Z-trip is older, but he is respected, and people still pay to see him wreck shit.

*edit: apparently Z is only 43. I thought he was older. He's a super nice and talented dude.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    From the career standpoint, it's dependent on fans. If you've still got a lot of them and people still want to rock with you, then age is immaterial. Or age can even work in your favor if you've built up a lot of loyalty/credibility over the years. But if you're still trying to get on at 40, that's when that whole "this is a young man's game" thing will hurt you.

From the "how long do I really want to be doing this?" standpoint...that's entirely up to you. If you can still deal with all the necessary bullshit at age 40, 50, whatever, then go with it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    In the dance scene, I actually kind of prefer older DJs, with people like Danny Tengalia, DJ Hell, Laurent Garnier, Tony Humphries and Junior Vasquez all like AARP-status. 
    kicks79

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I  don't think age matters as long as you can still hear and aren't completely burnt.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    MAW, Gilles, Dave Lee... You can't have depth in the game AND be a teenager.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I thought there was some island somewhere where all the old dj's like Ian Ossia were still doing their things

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pcmr said:
    A lot of struts top posters are approaching their 40s
    HipHop House,
    Obviously there are a bunch of young johnny come latelies and we all know about Keb Darge and MrScruff or Dimitri being older
    Even teh one Day has some grey hairs and is one of my favorite strutters
    I get that if this is your timewaster you are not going anywhere but are you really responding to Star War posts at 52? Start at your own 60th thread?

What are your thoughts and I am sure some of you are 40+ strutters
    I'm closing in on 60, goodnight.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Never too old but depends on what and where you play.
    EDM, Rap and clubs are a young cats game. I don't want to be playing the latest iggy azelia song to a bunch of bettys 
    However If you are playing rare groove in bars, then I say your age and experience (deep crates) is a bonus.
    batmon

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Depends on your OG status.

I would pay to see Afrika Bambaataa at 70.... 

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    what about paying a medium to communicate spiritually with djs from the past?

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Depends on your OG status.

I would pay to see Afrika Bambaataa at 70.... 
    When he came out here a few years back all he played was new euro dance music 

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Age is just a number. If you still got it, you got it.
    kicks79

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    It's definitely a state of mind.  That said, I'll be 34 next month and I'm mentally WAAAAAAAY too old to be DJing regularly.  

I cherry pick the fun events, gigs that my music buddies offer to me (a few a year)...but, long gone are the days of me trying to appease a bunch of drunk, annoying, fuck-heads at some super vapid see-and-be-seen event.  

I know some folks who genuinely enjoy that shit and manage to retain their dignity and technical ability the entire time...I respect it.

Ultimately, I'm too happy making beats and nerding out on mixes/routines with other friends.  

kicks79sticky_dojah

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I always assumed I would graduate to a radio show, but that industry has changed. Maybe one day radio will become retro and I'll have another chance.

I stopped DJing becuase I became too old to stay up that late. Brunch DJing? I'm all about it, but it's pretty low demand. I also became old enough to realize that I'd rather play what I want to hear and not what everyone else wants to hear. There's not much demand for Jazz DJs. The only place I occasionally play records any more is for a jazz brunch or dinner hour at my friend's restaurant that specializes in playing jazz vinyl.

I think as DJs get older their taste changes, but the people you are playing music for stay the same age, so it's hard as one becomes more disconnected. At least that's me. I'm sure if you're in the thick of it, you stay on top of it.
    kicks79