RECORD TALK!!!-Jazzy Psych Related LP's

13»

Comments

• The only Mashmakhan I've heard is their hit ("As The Years Go By," 1970) and there was nothing REMOTELY jazzy about that.

give gladwin another listen for reference.

or maybe realize the back cover notes include a review by a former editor of down beat magazine???

that might be a hint it has jazz inflences.

from his notes:

"You'll hear the influence of jazz all through this album...."

do your homework.

In the film 'Festival Express' Mashmakhan does a smoking version of Bob Dorough's 'I'm Coming Home'. The organist is especially good.

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    Ten Wheel Drive maybe?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The only Mashmakhan I've heard is their hit ("As The Years Go By," 1970) and there was nothing REMOTELY jazzy about that.

give gladwin another listen for reference.

or maybe realize the back cover notes include a review by a former editor of down beat magazine???

that might be a hint it has jazz inflences.

Down Beat gave a five-star review to the New York Dolls' first LP, too. I wouldn't call THEM jazz-rock. (Even though Jerry Nolan was a huge Gene Krupa fan!)

from his notes:

"You'll hear the influence of jazz all through this album...."

Maybe on the ALBUM, but on THEIR ONE AND ONLY AMERICAN TOP 40 HIT SINGLE this jazz influence was hidin' in the bushes somewhere!

I'll go play the B-side ("Days When We Are Free"), see if they're working out their jazz frustrations on that one.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    twoply said:
    It's not jazzy and may or may not be psyche, but I don't want to start another thread to ask if this is any good:

It's sitting at one of those shops with no listening station and they don't allow portables.
    Freedom is meh, certainly don't pay more than $10 for it. A bluesy influenced poor man's Procol Harum.

I recommend Annette Peacock for some trippy Jazz/Psych

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Despite this being an old thread, this odd combination of genres is too interesting not to think about...

I'm going with:
    David Axelrod's Song of Innocence
    Archie Whitewater
    Dr. John the Night Tripper - Gris Gris
    Manfred Mann Chapter Three
    The Id - the Inner Sounds Of The Id
    New Zealand Trading Company

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    picked this up randomly a few weeks, some of it reminds me of Zappa's Hot Rats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Jovp3tk1k

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    "If You Lose Your Woman" is the joint on that.

• The BizarreThe Bizarre San Francisco, CA 23 Posts
    Soft Machine. 1st album has more of a heavy rock/psych feel but the Jazz influence is undeniable. By the 2nd album they were moving even more into the Jazz realm in the most interesting way. Third LP is almost entirely instrumental Jazz, but it does not sound like American Jazz or even the prog coming out of the States at the time (Bitches Brew, Mahivishnu, Weather Report). They developed their own unique sound and ran with it for several albums. 4th, 5th, 6, 7 and beyond - all great progressive Jazz/psych albums.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Soft Machine. 1st album has more of a heavy rock/psych feel but the Jazz influence is undeniable. By the 2nd album they were moving even more into the Jazz realm in the most interesting way. Third LP is almost entirely instrumental Jazz, but it does not sound like American Jazz or even the prog coming out of the States at the time (Bitches Brew, Mahivishnu, Weather Report). They developed their own unique sound and ran with it for several albums. 4th, 5th, 6, 7 and beyond - all great progressive Jazz/psych albums.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The BizarreThe Bizarre San Francisco, CA 23 Posts
    Also, this... 

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I might add Eternity's Children to this discussion. It's hard to believe that some of its members later became Starbuck from the "Moonlight Feels Right" fame.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Gas Mask is a good suggestion.

Many, many 70s hornrock bands: Jellyroll, Aura,Heaven (UK), Solution,Machine,Casey & Pressure Group (Holland),...go to my forum, House Of Fox. Sure I put a thread there somewhere

• The first Mashmakan lp is the one folk are familiar with - and the one that (unexplicably) made them a minor sensation in Japan.

But the second (proggier) is the one to get. Its titled "The Family".  (Nothing is jazzy-psych about this band, though.)
    stratasphere