Favorite Albums of 2015

wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
edited November 2015 in Music
New albums that got the most burn for you this past year...

A few that come to mind for me: 

Quantic presents The Western Transient - A New Constellation [Tru Thoughts]
Will Holland playing maestro to a jazz ensemble, his band mates from LA, on a record full of perfectly breezy, blowy-shirt jazz tunes with flourishes of latin and caribbean inspiration throughout. Another successful direction from Quantic's impressive oevre. 

Chassol - Big Sun [Tricatel]
A fascinating auditory experience from French composer/pianist/vocalist, Christophe Chassol. Part of Chassol's aesthetic is using sampled field recordings (streets, voices, animals) core to its location, this time around we're taken to the island of Martinique, a caribbean island part of the overseas region of France. The album is a unique blend of field recordings, Chassol's own poetry, whistling, featured vocalists from Martinique, and some gorgeous jazz melodies played alongside various instruments, notably the flute. If only I understood French to better decipher his story within.

Mac Demarco - Another One [Captured Tracks]
A bit short in length for an album, but it was accompanied by a batch of great instrumental songs entitled "Some Other Ones" (free DL), and both of these together seemed quite right as summer came around.

Comments

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Too soon...

So far for me:

Lianne la Havas - Blood
    Yo La Tengo - Stuff Like That There
    Ty Segall - Mr. Face EP
    Neon Indian - VEGA INTL. Night School
    Mac Demarco - Demos Vol 1
    Future - DS2
    Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin down...
    Dungen - Alias Sak

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Off the dome and in no particular order at this point...

TPAB
    Summertime '06
    DS2
    Slime Season
    Sremm Life
    Complete Strangers
    Ego Death
    Vulnicura
    56 Nights
    Allas Sak
    Wildheart
    Days With Dr. Yen Lo
    Dark Energy
    Hairless Toys
    Blackheart
    Godspeed
    I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside

All of these have had plenty of run this year - relative to their release, of course. Bound to be a few others I've forgotten.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Kali Uchis - Por Vida
    Social Lovers - Enjoy The Ride

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Fabreze Brothers
    Deafheaven - New Bermuda

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    That Dr Yen Lo was definitely interesting. I've not really been paying attention this year. I'll listen to the radio occasionally and I've enjoyed the UK's Grime scene's continued resurgence, but I don't think I've repeatedly listened to an newly released album all year. I'm sure there's plenty of good hip hop I'm missing out on, but I just don't really care anymore. Still plenty of new old music to keep me busy.

• DIRTY SPRITE 2!!!!!!!!!!!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Ego Death and To Pimp A Butterfly have pretty much been on repeat for months.

Honorable mentions for:
    Kamasi Washington
    Liz Vice
    Tame Impala
    Dre
    Leon Bridges (don't hate on my Starbucks vibes!)
    Julio Bashmore 

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Unherd said:

Kamasi Washington

I haven't kept up with new releases at all but this one got lots of play from me.

Jimster

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I always thought Quantic was a guy who just traveled from town to town paying other guys to make his music for him.
    Satchelmouth

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Kali Uchis - Por Vida
    Social Lovers - Enjoy The Ride
    Thanks for this. Loving the social lovers and afraid to admit I like Kali Uchis.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Been pretty much just been dabbin' and listening to "Dab Daddy" on repeat all year 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    RUDEBWOY BUSINESS
    Albums:

Drew Lustman - The Crystal Cowboy (Planet Mu)
    FaltyDL returns to form with his eclectic and emotional take on UK Jungle/Bass sounds. I'm going to include my thoughts on it from the New Release thread in case I ever get an answer:
    I'm impressed but confused. His early music for Planet Mu is brilliant, and I wasn't surprised when Ninja Tune poached him but the music he then did for Ninja was a real let down for me; less gritty, less experimental, and a bit boring really. Don't think I bought anything he did for them. Now he's released this album with Planet Mu again, and the music is great. I'm guessing Ninja management will also be scratching their heads...
    In short, it's fucking mint.

Trust Image - Rory's World (1080p)
    Another New Yorker 'aving a go at a London sumtin', also with great results - although Rory's World harks back to an earlier break-beat Hardcore sound conjuring up an authentic '91-'93 feeling with modern production and some lovely melodies. Bonus points for transforming the end of one of his tracks into a PM Dawn-sound-alike!

Singles:

Fracture & Chimpo - From Early/Hard Food (Metalheadz)
    These two both killed it in last summer's soundcloud Jungle wars and have now teamed up as a production duo operating at the very top of the Jungle revival. I like Hard Food (despite it's cheekily lifting the majority of it's drums straight from a Boyerang remix) but From Early is absolutely my favourite track of the year, fusing Footwork with slamming Jungle breaks and a brilliant half-tempo sample. I want a full album from these fucking Dons right the fuck now!

DJRum - Plantain (Samurai Red Seal)
    Clattering percussion in a strange time signature, eerily atmospheric, and a production aesthetic that takes the breath away. Don't know whether to file this as blazing downtempo or if it's at the outer reaches of the Jungle/UK Garage/Bass music scene... but it's fucking good lights-out music.

Detroit Swindle - Figure Of Speech (Freerange)
    Some naughty Fela edits/remixes done rather well.

Jamie XX - Gosh (Young Turks)
    My favourite track from his new album, it's got that knack of effortlessly building up momentum to something, and sounds rather reminiscent of Orbital with modern breakbeats and subbass bolted on.

Tap Throw - Dip Switches (Modified Magic)
    New Jungle that sounds so good it feels like it should be from '95-'96, only it's somehow better, even more authentic.

Tim Reaper - Sounds Of Life (Subtle Audio)
    Ditto for Mr Shoe-On-Head with an uplifting-yet-hardcore Jungle workout. This had the bonus of some excellent artwork.

Pender Street Steppers - Bubble World (Mood Hut)
    I need these Mood Hut cunts to start releasing digitally! Bizarre, distorted, mellow, addictive deep house.

Acre - Don't Get Me Started (Wisdom Teeth)
    A slice of weird golden-age UK electronica blended with modern cavernous Bass sounds. Claustrophobic, intense, and apparently needs more hi-hat. 

RQ - Traces (Blu Mar Ten Music)
    Lush organic Jungle that could've come from Adam F in his Colours prime, keeps you waiting for the amen to drop, but well worth it.

Sully - Flock (Astrophonica)
    New Jungle shit from the man like Sully. Wish he'd release more of the stuff from his soundcloud page as nobody chops, filters, and twists drums like he does.

Mix of the year:

Fracture & Chimpo for Fact magazine. Trap/grime/jungle/trip-hop? Fucking brilliant, I would have paid good money for this back when DJs actually sold mix CDs, but luckily it's a free download at 320.
    wescoasiaJuniorJimster

• Some of these are too new to really say they are the best of the year (both to me and to the world), but anyway... 
    Mbongwana Star - From Kinshasa
    Bosq - Celestial Strut
    St Germain - St. Germain
    Owiny Sigoma Band - Nyanza
    Floating Points - Elaenia
    Eli Escobar - Up All Night 
    HNNY - Sunday
    D'Angelo - Black Messiah

Some singles:
    Archie Pelago - Clammy Customer
    Seven Davis Jr. - Friends (Detroit Swindle remix)
    Obas Nenor - My Way Home / Change Got to Come
    Djoon Experience - Baptize Me ft Kenny Bobien (Afshin mix)
    [shameless self promo] Sol Power All-Stars - Plaza Bolivar EP [/shameless self promo]

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    hey i bought the plaza bolivar ep, but its not the album of the year.

• hey i bought the plaza bolivar ep, but its not the album of the year.
    haha fair enough but thanks for supporting.

• Cant think of a new album I've bought in 2015, shit loads of new 12"s/EP's but not a straight up album.
    I did get this one last week though,it says its a mini-album on the sleeve, I think its an album.
    Mini or not its very good:

http://www.discogs.com/Len-Leise-Lingua-Franca/release/7645163

CBear said:
    Too soon...

Too late?

I cosign Floating Points - Elaenia. Good stuff!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Hiatus Kaiyote - Choose Your Weapon
    Kamasi Washington - The Epic
    Tom Misch - Beat Tape 2

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/mims-family-2015-favorite-singles-albums

great list and mine is
    Kamasi Washington – The Epic (Brainfeeder)
    The Loop Pilots – And then the Sea (Bandcamp)
    Mickey – Eye Witness (PPU)
    Pomo – The Other Day (HW&W)
    Eman x Vlooper – XXL (7e Ciel)
    Bonus Beat : Wutang secret record

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Jimster said:
    Hiatus Kaiyote - Choose Your Weapon
    Kamasi Washington - The Epic

Yes.

And I'd add Disclosure - Caracal

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Too late?
    Never too late. It seems too soon before the year is at least almost over. Here's my 2016 pick due to limited selection...
    Tortoise - The Catastrophist

Recent 2015 entries:
    Erykah Badu - But You Caint Use My Phone has faded a little bit for me but I still like it.

Built to Spill - Untethered Moon was better than I thought it would be if you like Built to Spill, which I do.

Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again gives me chills. 

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Trust Image - Rory's World (1080p)
    Another New Yorker 'aving a go at a London sumtin', also with great results - although Rory's World harks back to an earlier break-beat Hardcore sound conjuring up an authentic '91-'93 feeling with modern production and some lovely melodies. Bonus points for transforming the end of one of his tracks into a PM Dawn-sound-alike!

This is great.

So, a fun year music wise - move to Germany meant a review of purchasing techniques and a switch up to much more Bandcamp related stuff.

It's been a bit fragmented but some notables for me:

Summertime 06 - Vince Staples  I do think it loses momentum on disc 2 but that's more foregiveable considering how blisteringly energised the first disc is. Not the album I expected him to drop but one I really, really enjoyed.

56 Nights - Future Still sounds amazing however many plays later.

Gowanus Drifts - Dialect Not normally someone to gush over an Ambient album but this just really clicked for me - love the way it builds over the running time.

Half Free - US Girls Not sure if there has been a discussion on here about the samples etc but it's just a really catchy album and even overcomes my natural dislike of Remy's shrill vocals.

Ibeyi - Ibeyi Yeah it's "world music" but it's also really decent music: Purchased for my parents and ended up copying for myself.

So the Flies Don't Come - Milo Never thought he had this in him but, props to him for making an album that made me review my attitude to concious rap.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    My top 6 (in no specific order)
     Kneebody and Daedelus - Kneedelus
     Sons Of Kemet - Lest We foget what we came here to do
    Flanger - Lollopy Dripper
     Alabama Shakes - Sound and Color (your attempts to front will be met with haughty derision)
    The Bird and The Bee - Recreational Love
    Emanative - The Light Years of the Darkness

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Oh, also, Rival Consoles - Howl. Reviews seemed strangely meh but I thought it was a great album start to end. Anyone else enjoy this as much as I did?