STAR WARS: The Force Awakens

para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
edited December 2015 in Off Topic (NRR)
Just watched it and was thoroughly entertained. JJ Abrams did a great job of retaining the magic that made the original trilogy so epic. 

At times, I actually felt like a kid again.

Have you seen it? 

TAGGED:

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I really liked it. I only had one small issue with. But not dropping any spoilers...

I saw in IMAX 3D. I tend to hate 3D, but they did a decent job with it.

Gonna go see it again in 2D at some point.

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Hateful 8.

They are doing a special roadshow across the world in only 100 theaters starting Christmas day for only 1 week. A special 70mm version which will have an overture and an intermission and will be a longer cut than the wide release version that will come out in January.

Some info on the Ultra Panavision roadshow here

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Loved Force Awakens. Someone suggested it felt like maybe it had been cut short for kid's attention spans and there might be a longer DVD version. Felt a bit upset when a certain character got "some help".

Best thing was the feeling that it lived up to the hype - THAT was a Star Wars film.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    A New Hope - This the Remix!

"It's just that the franchise devolved into a vanity project/cash grab many movies ago and I'm just a bit shocked that this movie is legit."

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    batmon said:

"It's just that the franchise devolved into a vanity project/cash grab many movies ago and I'm just a bit shocked that this movie is legit."
    This.  

ketan said:
    batmon said:

This.  

Jar Jar Abrams presents Star Wars: A New Hype!!

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    batmon said:
    A New Hope - This the Remix!

Stallone starring and being the hero in his own Rocky vehicle = vanity project. I don't see the vanity project angle in Star Wars. Plaese to esplain to me dis.

Calling Star Wars a cash grab...I disagree, but not entirely. 

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    god forbid a movie studio make a movie that tries to make some money i mean what a total cash grab
    para11ax

this trend of hyper-marketing the films really bored me with the first three sequels, and it's clearly being used here... 

so I really wasn't sure what I was in for with the new one but I was pleasantly surprised!

they nailed the aesthetics and the acting, and the story is good enough.

• It's was ok. 
    And ok is good enough.  

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Not a perfect movie but extremely enjoyable for people like me, who grew up wit Ep 4-6.

The day after i saw it i sat down and tried to watch Ep 3 and was reminded at just how bad 7 could have been.

I'm really keen to see it again at the movies. Jakku was spectacular.

Not mad at the new characters. Rey was great. Finn was great but had some cheesy lines (playing Han to Rey's Leia i guess). Loved Maz. The ace flyer guy was a bit cornball but holding off judgement until next movie.

For me Adam Driver was the weak point. He looked too much like his character in Girls which i couldn't get past. They could have done something different with his hair, slicked it back or CGI-ed it or something.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Can't believe they ejected from the TIE and couldn't find each other.

I mean, Facebook anyone?

They have faster-than-light travel but no mobiles?

Luke's location would be leaked on reddit, deffo.

Jimster said:
    Can't believe they ejected from the TIE and couldn't find each other.

I mean, Facebook anyone?

They have faster-than-light travel but no mobiles?

Luke's location would be leaked on reddit, deffo.
    the empire hath jammed social media

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I thought it was "enjoyable".  I liked how they tied in Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher.... would have been A LOT cooler with a Lando Calrissian cameo.

With that said, my father-in-law, a Star Wars purist HATED IT.  He is a hard core Star Wars book collectro and JJ Abarams basically rehashed Episode IV rather than pool from over 300 Star Wars books.

Also seeing the Han Solo and C3PO in the CGI era was really weird.

• Yup, I had fun, though when I realized they were going to rehash the plot line from IV I definitely groaned. I mean shit 1+  billion dolars and they can't pull off much more than a tongue in cheek tribute flick? That being said it was a blast to watch it with my 11 yr old son who spent more time in the air than in his seat throughout. And the dark side was weak, though their weapon was pretty sick.

I mean, the tribute could also be read as somewhat honest given the family plot lines being played out.  I didn't mind the references to the OGz so much.  That said, I'll be disappointed in the next one is Empire II.

I kinda thought the last scene was too hokey.  (No spoliers!)

• I can't believe ya'll are giving a pass to the wannabe new death star and it's "weapon".
    Oh look, and it has a vulnerable spot. 
    I mean what the fusk.

BallzDeep said:
    I can't believe ya'll are giving a pass to the wannabe new death star and it's "weapon".
    Oh look, and it has a vulnerable spot. 
    I mean what the fusk.

No, now that you mention that scene, I agree it was way too big a bite on that.

But there were other bites that were okay.

BallzDeep said:
    I can't believe ya'll are giving a pass.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    At outstanding piece of cinema it is not. Better than the prequels it was.

kicks79 said:
    At outstanding piece of cinema it is not. Better than the prequels it was.
    This makes the prequels w/ the questionable acting, dialogue, trying too hard politics, and Jar Jar Binks look better. 

Darth Maul vs Ben/Qui, Count Dooko vs Yoda, Ben vs Grevious, Anakin vs Kenobi lightsaber battles  > Rey vs Kylo Ren 

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    We get it dude. You hated it. KIM.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    batmon said:
    lightsaber battles  > Rey vs Kylo Ren 
    To be fair, she did well considering she'd never had any Jedi training.

I do hope Ren goes out by the Saber.  And like, does that Ninja-movie smile thing that turns into a frown when he realises he's been cut in half and a trickle of blood comes out the side of his mouth.

Unless the shareholders, hungry for the kiddie audience marketing, get him turned into a fluffy Unicorn.

batmon said:
    Jar Jar Binks
    All my thoughts on Jar Jar have changed ever since the crazy "Is Jar Jar a Sith!?" theory.

Still not a fan of the character, but if there was any truth to the theory, I would have enjoyed that WAY more than the film I watched.

It's not as good as Ep 4 or 5, but I think it's better than Jedi.  I kinda want to re-watch Ep III again now...  I don't think that was as bad as Ep I and II, right?

I think some of the re-hashed stuff is actually cool because it speaks to how families play out over generations. Other stuff was lazy/unimaginative, sure.  And if Rey ends up being one of the OG character's kids, I'll be a bit disappointed, I think.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It was well made and good fun. And that was enough to leave me very happy after the greenscreen shitfest of 1-3. Took a while to get over the initial shock of seeing a Star Wars film shot in a modern style rather than the stilted, outdated feel of the prequels.

It did rehash a lot and that did get tiring (the death star was a step too far). However, hoping that this now lays the groundwork for entirely new storylines in the following two films. So far they doesn't seem massively likely but we live in hope.

Thought most of the new characters were great and they did a decent job of passing on the mantle from old to new. I actually really liked Adam Driver's take on the bad guy - it'S standard JJ Abrams stuff but thought it worked well.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    batmon said:
    BallzDeep said:
    I can't believe ya'll are giving a pass.

This movie was mediocre crap. The actress who played Rey was awful. I liked Finn and Mazz; everyone else was awful. It felt like even Chewbacca phoned it in  The ogs were particularly bad imo. The storyline was boring and a rehash. Having said all that, it was better than the 3 prequels, but that isn't saying anything, because those sucked balls. By the time the Death Star started being a thing, I just wanted it to end.

caiJunior

para11axDOR

para11axDuderonomy