Hey help me dial in my 44-7s

I set up my tables thusly:
I adjust my tonearm's height until it is level.
I zero out the counterweight and then spin it to 2.5g for 45s and 3.0g for 12"s something like that.
I put the anti-skate to about 1.75 i think or 0 for scratching.
I don't "set" the anti-skate each time that I set up to DJ so I just sorta guess.
I even use the white overhang tool thing.

A lot of people use my tables and all is good, some people add some weight on the needle if needed.

But... my needles still bend a little to the side after a while and they move side to side a little when people cut.
Not bad but they always have.  

Anyone got the next level setup tips?
Can true un-wobblingness be achieved without a straight arm?

Does anybody actually test and set the anti-skate every time they setup?
Do you bring a level to your gigs? Anyone use one of those round level things?

?

Comments

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Anti-skate # should = weight.

So 2.5g = 2.5 anti-skate.

That should fix it. If not, maybe something's wrong with the tonearm.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Sorry to chime in again so quickly (basically repeat myself), but record grooves spiral inward. Anti-skate is used to counter the inward spiral so that the needle doesn't "skate" across without playing.

What you did in your setup is perfect, but again, just set the anti-skate according to the weight.

Hope that helps.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    When I was using 447's to DJ I leveled the tonearm, took the counterweight off and re-installed it backwards and then spun it until it was all the way onto the end of the arm, no measuring the weight or anything. And I set the antiskate to zero. That setup gave me excellent results on pretty much every 1200 I used in any club, no wobbling, skipping and no cue burn worth mentioning unless I was practicing cutting the same "fressssh" sample thousands of times.

• anybody do the blank sided record anti skate setting thing?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Here's a guide for those that don't know how to do this http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/how-to-balance-your-tonearm-a-step-by-step-guide/

One thing to keep in mind is that if the bearings have been adjusted at all or there is additional play in the tonearm that shouldn't be there the tonearms may be bad and will need to be replaced. I have some 25+ year old tables that have seen better days and are that that point now. No amount of adjusting will keep them from skipping when queuing hard.