edited November 2015 in Record Collecting

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Some good music in there:

Electrode

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I really like that McCoy Tyner too
    mateo

• Here is the hulk of the records I've brought home the last couple of months. I've been scooping up a few country records lately as I've been making frequent visits to a weekly live bluegrass / honky tonk night near my spot. I'm not sure where to begin with the genre, so I'm starting with what I come across in the wild and with what looks interesting. Trying to broaden my palette, It's never ending...

YACHT - I Thought The Future Would Be Cooler (Downtown, 2015) <-- 2lp white vinyl

East of Eden - Snafu (Deram, 1970)

East of Eden - Mercator Projected (Deram, 1969)

Magic Sand - S/T (Uni, 1970)

The Internet - Ego Death (Columbia, 2015) 2lp

Tuxedo - S/T (Stones Throw, 2015) 2lp

John Patton - Understanding (Blue Note, 1968)

John Coltrane - Ole Coltrane (Atlantic, 1969 RP)

The Roots - Do You Want More (DGC, 1994) <-- 2lp promo

Paul Brett's Sage - Paul Brett Sage (Janus, 1970)

Tuxedo - Remixes ep (Stones Throw, 1015)

Haystacks Balboa - S/T (Polydor, 1970)

The Jacks - Jumpin' With The Jacks (Crown, 1960 RP)

Plant and See - S/T (White Whale 1969)

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - It's A Holiday Soul Party (Daptone, 2015) <-- red vinyl

Phil Upchurch - You Can't Sit Down Part 2 (Boyd, 1961)

Meditation Singers - Change Is Gonna Come (Jewel, 1971)

Lost Nation - Paradise Lost (Rare Earth, 1970)

The Harvey Averne Dozen - Viva Soul (Atlantic, 1968)

Rocky Roberts and the Airedales - S/T (Brunswick, 1968)

The Emotions - So I Can Love You (Volt, 1971) <-- Promo

O.V. Wright - Memphis Unlimited (Back Beat, 1973)

The Lost Generation - The Sly, Slick And The Wicked (Brunswick, 1970)

Ars Nova - Sunshine & Shadows (Atlantic, 1969)

Otis Redding & Carla Thomas - King & Queen (Stax, 1967)

Sir Lord Baltimore - King Crimson (Mercury, 1970)

The Aquarians - Jungle Grass (Uni, 1969)

The Winstons - Color Him Father (Metromedia, 1969)

Loadstone - S/T (Barnaby, 1969)

Dungen - Allas Sak (Mexican Summer, 2015)

Nas - Illmatic (Columbia, 1994) <-- EU press

Kidd Afrika - S/T (Windham Hill, 1979)

Tom T. Hall - The Magnificent Music Machine (Mercury, 1976)

Tom T. Hall - About Love (Mercury, 1977)

The Ikettes - Soul The Hits (United, 19xx)

Cozy Cole - The Drummer Man With THe Big Beat (King, 19xx)

John Coltrane - Dakar (Prestige, 1963) <-- 1977 JP Re-issue

The C.I.A. - Cru In Action (Kru-Cut, 1987)

Rock Shock - S/T (Raz M'Taz, 1987)

Run-DMC - Raisng Hell (Profile, 1986)

Edan - Echo Party (Five Day Weekend, 2009)

Ice-T - Rhyme Pays (Sire, 1987)

B. Baker Chocolate Co. - S/T (Lester, 1979)

Beach House - Depression Cherry (Sub Pop, 2015) <-- white vinyl limited edition 

Freddie Hubbard - Backlash (Atlantic, 1967)

Johnny Griffin - Blues For Harvey (Inner City, 1976)

The Vibrations - Taking A New Step (Mandala, 1972)

Brainbox - S/T (Capitol, 1969)

The Automator - Music To Be Murdered By (HomeBass Records, 1989)

James Mason - Ryhthm Of Life (Chiaroscuro Records, 1977) <-- Re-issue

Johnny Paycheck - The Lovin' Machine (Little Darlin' 1966)

Brute Force - S/T (Embryo, 1970)

Gangsters - Heat 1 (Heat, 1981)

Los Bravos - Black Is Black (Press Records, 1966)

The Whitefield Brothers - In The Raw (Soul Fire, 2001)

Johnny Smith - Plays Jimmy Van Heusen (Royal Roost, 1963)

Donald Byrd & Booker Little - The Third World (TCB Records, 19??)

Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - S/T (Gordy, 1968)

Webb Pierce - Hideaway Heart (Decca, 1962)

George Jones & Gene Pitney - It's Country Time Again! (Musicor, 1966)

Johnny Paycheck - Country Soul (Little Darlin', 1967)

LaserWolfElectrodeRAJdeedscai

• Jolliver Arkansaw - Home (Bell, 1969)

Southside Movement - Moving South (20th Century, 1975)

Black Nasty - Talking To The People (Enterprise, 1973)

Lou Donaldson - The Natural Soul (Blue Note, 1962)

Roland Kirk - Gifts & Messages (Mercury, 1964)

Johnny Griffin - The Little Giant (Riverside, 1959)

Leroy Hutson - Closer To The Source (Curtom, 1978)

Quill - S/T (Cotillion, 1970)

The Tony Williams Lifetime - Turn It Over (Polydor, 1970)

SRC - Milestones (Capitol, 1969)

Jimmy Smith - The Sermon! (Blue Note, 1959)

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - He's Coming (Polydor, 1972)

Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded (B-Boy, 1987)

N.W.A. - EFIL4ZAGGIN (Ruthless, 1991)

The Montgomery Brothers - The Groove Yard (Riverside, 1976 Japanese re-issue)

Grant Green - The Latin Bit (Blue Note, 197? re-issue)

Grant Green - Idle Moments (Blue Note 19?? re-issue)

Grant Green - Am I Blue (Blue Note, 1963)

Grant Green - Feelin' the Spirit (Blue Note, 197? re-issue)

Grant Green - Grantstand (Blue Note, 19?? re-issue)

LaserWolfcai

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    That Meditation Singers is
    The Aquarians is underrated.

• Memphis Unlimited forever eludes me, nice pulls! Tuxedo is also up there for record of the year.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Wow, Devoglam!!!  Have you been listening to my mixes? You've scooped a lot of joints I've dropped on mixes over the years (e.g., Paul Brett Sage, Lost Generation, South Side Movement, Donald Byrd & Booker Little, James Mason, etc.).  

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    RAJ

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I really like that McCoy Tyner too
    I bought this and the Ars Nova based on the Strut recommend factor. I used to have a Canadian issue of the CotG? soundtrack but forgot all about it until a couple of weeks ago listening to Zappa's "Inca Roads". "Bug" should be in the most recent late pass thread for me. Harmony Cats is Brazilian; standout being a hit parade medley including "Black Dog", CCR and Bee Gees covers, "Smoke On The Water" and such. Not the one with the Baretta Theme rip-off, however. I was very pleased to finally find that Steve Davis. There's a George Clinton credited but I soon realized it's the white, similarly accomplished, albeit less parliamentary and/or funkadelically inclined, musician who distinguishes himself with his middle name. I found but passed on the 'Avenging Force' soundtrack that day, coincidentally.

• Wow, Devoglam!!!  Have you been listening to my mixes? You've scooped a lot of joints I've dropped on mixes over the years (e.g., Paul Brett Sage, Lost Generation, South Side Movement, Donald Byrd & Booker Little, James Mason, etc.).  

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Ha! I haven't heard your mixes, at least not knowingly. I'm just scooping up what I haven't seen before and/or looks interesting. Those are all strong records though. I suppose informed minds think alike!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Nice finds. I have still never seen a Roy Ayers - He's Coming in the wild.
    devoglam

• Lotsa nice finds dudes: Idle Moments for days!

Still more Reggae. It's been kinda overwhelming.

devoglamketanmeistromocofinelikewine

• Nice finds. I have still never seen a Roy Ayers - He's Coming in the wild.
    Thanks Bill! I couldn't believe my eyes for only $2.99... oof!

• I love that Johnny Paycheck

@capricornrising   Nice!!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    From the record swap in Hamilton last weekend

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts

caiKineticLaserWolf

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Damn man... nice 45 haul.
    para11ax

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    Damn man... nice 45 haul.
    Thanks bud. My best month in years.

• Here's some little dude diggin story... I'm spending one month in Ghana with my girlfriend, working on a project during the week and travelling on the weekends. i didn't focus on digging as there's so much to discover apart from records. Surely i did ask around wherever i had the chance and people brought records, most were in really bad condition, paper sleeves are just as rare as the records themselves, they've simply molded away. I've received lots of hints so after almost 3 weeks i had the time to hunt for records, made some phone calls, organized the day. I've met some poeple, checked out some spots and finally didn't come home empty handed, did find some really nice bits by Segun Bucknor, Hygrades, Pat Thomas etc. of course conditions varied from vg- to vg+ and i got introduced to the new to me grading "hey, this looks OK". My portable turntable did a good job, it was a nice day.

While in Ghana, i've stayed with a family. The father passed away only few years ago in his early 60s, way too early. He was quite into music, especially american jazz. The mother told me they've binned his record collection after he died as there was no turntable around, no space & no use for the plastic discs, the usual story.
    The next morning after my digging trip, i was sitting at breakfast with the son of the family, he is in his early 20s, he heard me talking about records i found the day before etc. He couldn't quite understand why one like me is interested in the old african sounds. I explained him that i'm really into these sounds but sadly the good ones are really saught after and very hard to find. I've played him some but he didn't really like the early sounds apart from Rolling Stones. if anything from the past, then he prefered the 80s and upwards american sounds. Anyway, he liked my passion for it and then he mentioned that his father had lots. Sadly he trashed them but to my surprise he told me that he sortet some out, randomly. He then brought a wooden box of 20 records, mostly jazz classics, a few 80s classics and a bit of highlife, nothing that i needed. He then carried the box away and after a while he shouted that i should come over, he found a small bag of 45s... he & his younger sister were sitting next to me on the table, watching me checking the bag. The first two in there were a real surprise,  Apagya & Cymande but both heavily waved, the bag has been stored outside on the terrace, in the sun...

Luckily the last two 45s were flat and not heavily scratched deep sounding highlife 45s  While crawling deeper in the bag through empty 80s pop picture sleeves, i've pulled out 5 very old b/w fotos showing the father at a young age with friends etc. this was such an exciting moment as they didn't know these pics exist and they planned to bin this bag along with the other stuff stored on the terrace. While studying the pics the son told me to check that big metallic box on the terrace, there's more of his dads stuff and also a few lps<br>

i've digged through the box, again nothing that catched my eye, until i've reached the second last record in a smaller pile at the very bottom of the box. The son noticed my reaction when i was pulling it out of the pile and holding it in my hands, quickly checking the disc inside: flat and not scratched.

i told him this is exactly what i'm looking for. This is on top of the list. I still can't believe that this was sitting during 3 weeks just an armlength away from me. This would have been trashed within the end of the year if we didn''t have this breakfast conversation. Trashing this would have been a real loss as it's not something you see everyday out in the field in its original form with the brilliant cover. Above all, it's such a killer album from start to finish, one of the very best afro funk albums. Well, of course only if you like your sound in a "Funky Rob Way". Cheers
    ketansticky_dojahpara11axLaserWolfKinetic

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Love the story!

Did you tell how much that record is worth?

• No. I've told him it's very rare and saught after. If i ever come to the point where i sell this, the money will find its way back.
    sticky_dojah

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Incredible. Happy that you rescued it. Good record karma. 

• Well, can't compete with that great Ghana story but... 4 soul wants, paid a little more than I wanted for the Bonnevilles, offset majorly by the Moses Smith for less than the price of a beer

Mainly another jazzfest though... couple of great old 10"

and some albums

Coltrane is a Russian press of 'Africa/Brass'

the Miles album here is an unreleased 75-78 sessions bootleg and is great quality and music:

and a touch of German proto-house & some Classical harp for those melancholy rainy days (like today)

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

I spent Thanksgiving week in Hawaii and did a little digging. These Trails was in a collection I went through.
    HollafameLaserWolfRAJ

Damn @billbradley 

Score!