Erykah Badu - Worldwide Underground (SS opinion)

2»

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    1)Intro -

2)Bump it - & Too damn long

3)Back in the day -

4)I Want you - but too damn long

5)Woo -

6)The Grind -

7)Danger - Too damn long

8)Think Twice -

9)Love of my life worldwide -

10)outro -

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

What's the word Noz? Is this Badu stuff or Sparse NeoSoul?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    WWU is a good record, as is all her stuff, not to be hated on at all.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Wasn't this a bit of jam lp, not a 'proper' release anyway? Seem to remember the sleevenotes saying it was what she'd been doing with her live band, so thats probably why its all a bit unfocused. I like it anyway. Patchy, but its got it's moments.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Live is really good featuring some excellent backround sangers + Tyrone

Ah, I'd forgotten about Tyrone. Possibly her greatest musical moment for me.

Enjoyed Baduizm and most of Mama's Gun back in the day but doubtful that they would rock my world if I played them again now.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    The new Erykah Badu with Madlib is a terdariffic assault on the ears and even the human spirit. And I'm a little nervous about SA-RA producing most of her next album; it could be a bunch of self-indulgent artistic non-sense and could fuck up her career. I mean, Taz n 'em make some strange shit on their and her tawn bout "Jupiter on her porch" make me really think those studio session will be a powder keg of weird.

jus sayin'

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

Once she got caught w/ the Dread wig I couldnt fuck w/ her. She was doin' a Marley tribute with a Rasta wig. That's some real fake bullshit. All that spiritual shit she writes/spits/kicks is suspect w/ a move like that.

This is exactly what kept me from listening to her for a loooooong time. I mean, hippie boho flower child with dreads to fist raising Che t-shirt and army hat wearing Lenny Kravitz wanna-be, to WWU in 3 albums? And the fact that she tore off her afro wig in her scene in David Chappelle's Block Party. But once I got past all that, I dig some of her stuff.

I mean, folks complain about amy winehouse on here, but my first impression with EB was like "I'd rather listen to Billie".

The new Erykah Badu with Madlib is a terdariffic assault on the ears and even the human spirit. And I'm a little nervous about SA-RA producing most of her next album; it could be a bunch of self-indulgent artistic non-sense and could fuck up her career.

Her career isnt already suspect?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

It's Joi. I wouldn't necessarily call it "sparse" or "neosoul," though sometimes it touches those points. It's very good and I think late period Badu owes a lot to her early work.

audio: http://cdbaby.com/cd/joimusic

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The new Erykah Badu with Madlib is a terdariffic assault on the ears and even the human spirit. And I'm a little nervous about SA-RA producing most of her next album; it could be a bunch of self-indulgent artistic non-sense and could fuck up her career. I mean, Taz n 'em make some strange shit on their and her tawn bout "Jupiter on her porch" make me really think those studio session will be a powder keg of weird.

jus sayin'

Damn, starting threads about Kells and then hating on Erykah/Madlib/Sa-Ra Domestic Partners?

BRRRRRRRRRR!

WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT BOY?

It's Joi. It's very good and I think late period Badu owes a lot to her early work.

Ill check it. i own all 2 or 3 of Joi's catalog. She's been doin her own thing for a minute. But all of her joints are very uneven.She does reference the "FOnk". She way more "experimental" than the JillScotts/Badus/IndiaIries/guitarheadwrapinsencelivebandimrealerthantheotherR&Bdolls in the game artists.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    new mixtape joint for the kids.

reminds me of "danger" in that it's a bid for mainstream status. (although just off a first listen i like it better than "danger", even though it's a glorified mixtape interlude.)

and i think WWU isn't the crowning achievement of her career but isn't nearly as bad as folks 
    are sayin'. she did do a comeback to the alt/neo soul/ critics with the next one soooo

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    I love Erykah Badu, but that "Phone Down" track is hot garbage. She is an immense talent with a subversive edge and beautifully soulful voice.

On this track, she sounds like a zombified version of herself.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i don't know about zombified -- she's basically just doing a riff on future/young thug/etc since that's the style that's killing the radio right now. i don't want to hear a whole album of her doing this (although if she did i'd still check cause i think she would do something with it)   but for a mixtape it's fine.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Not gonna lie, I'd still check as well because she always puts out :pasue: something dope. 

But yeah, it looks like she's aiming for a mainstream hit with this one.