Salsa (music) recommendations

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
No dip jokes please I know virtually NOTHING about latin music. The odd thing here and there...But i'm looking to fill out some of my DJ sets with some goos salsa music. Something that 20-40 year olds can get down with. It doesn't have to be raer, just maybe some classics that will work in a party.Suggestions?

Comments

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    Hector Lavoe.

...or maybe Ruben Blades or even Willie Colon as far as more recent stuff... but Hector is my favorite, and i grew up in south america.

i'm including a song by hector lavoe here called "calle luna, calle sol"... i think you'll dig:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BD0ED609430D1CE9

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I posted a salsa mix a couple of days ago. One of the dollar bin tracks was off here:

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I know very little about salsa or latin music, but a favourite of mine is Tito Puentes "La leyenda", from the album with the same name (there's a baby on the cover). The percussion parts melt your face off for sure.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

llego La India is

Plus most of that 70's FANIA shit is good to have.
    LaserWolf

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    el gran combo- ojos china
    is a classic track..everyone will dance

also check for oscar de leon,the legendary celia cruz and la sonora carruseles and fruko y sus tesos, joe arroyo

ill try and post great salsa for ya

you should also look into

Sergent Garcia : think Manu Chao but more salsa
    the guy has great club/dance tracks

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    THIS IS MY SHIT.

• the willie colon albums "el jucio" and "cosa nuestra" are pretty damn good. great cover art too.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

the willie colon albums "el jucio" and "cosa nuestra" are pretty damn good. great cover art too.

Cosign on "El Juicio", the track "S?? la ves" (sung by Hector Lavoe) is probably my favorite salsa track (not that I've heard that many, though...)

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

the willie colon albums "el jucio" and "cosa nuestra" are pretty damn good. great cover art too.

Cosign on "El Juicio", the track "S?? la ves" (sung by Hector Lavoe) is probably my favorite salsa track (not that I've heard that many, though...)

hector lavoe is the don... all those willie colon records w/ him on it are smoking... my fav track of theirs is "aquanile" which will tear a party the fuck up...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What's up P**e? Shouldn't you be out drinking cheap beer in
    the sun somewhere?

slighty hung over... watching the sox game on my computer... gonna go try and get a little sunshine in now... sick Noir stuff at the film forum tonight and tomorrow... 3 for the price of one!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    i hate you.

forecast for next sunday is rain

god hates you

get the tent out...

the movies (none of which i've seen)

ARMORED CAR ROBBERY

(1950, RICHARD FLEISCHER) Precursor of The Asphalt Jungle and The Killing. Criminal mastermind William Talman (later Perry Mason???s D.A.) shrugs off a botched big caper, henchman attrition and police dragnets, as square-jawed cop Charles McGraw keeps on coming. (approximately 67 minutes)
    SUN 1:00, 5:10, 9:15
    MON 1:00

FOLLOW ME QUIETLY

(1949, RICHARD FLEISCHER) On the trail of serial strangler ???The Judge,??? William Lundigan helps fellow detectives build up a composite mannequin of the killer; with the ???Judge??? himself, dropping in to the station to substitute for the mannequin and play himself. (approximately 60 minutes)
    SUN 2:30, 6:40, 10:35
    MON 2:30

THE CLAY PIGEON

(1949, RICHARD FLEISCHER) Bill Williams snaps out of a coma in a naval hospital, charged to his surprise with treason for playing stool pigeon in a Japanese POW camp. Time to slap on some civvies and get out of town, kidnapping fellow prisoner???s widow Barbara Hale en route. (approximately 63 minutes)
    SUN 3:50, 8:00
    MON 3:50

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts
    You HAVE to have some Eddie Palmieri....

Some real dancers and some great head nodders...

His records are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The latin list can be so loooooooooooooooooooooooong

C

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    Don't go another step until you look into Israel Lopez, known as "Cachao".

pioneer of the mambo.

• SalsaYmasSalsaYmas The Netherlands1 Post
    It also depends wich way you like to go with LAtin Music, for dancing or for listening. I prefer the records made for dancing. I also like the Cuban style (Son, Rumba, Timba, Charanga and so on) more dan the LA / NY styles (Guaguanco, Mambo (on 2), Salsa, Cha cha cha, Pachanga. Ik can post a list of my favorites in the different styles if you like that.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This mix from my friend Adrian was the gateway drug for Salsa:

"YROCO" Jimmy Sabater 
    "COCO SECO" Bobby Valentin 
    "GENERATION GAP" The New Generation 
    "HOT PANTS ROAD" Ocho 
    "RIGHT ON" Ray Barretto 
    "CALLE LUNA CALLE SOL" Willie Colon 
    "SALSA NAMA" Azuquita y Su Orquesta 
    "QUE SE SEPA" Roberto Roena y su Apollo Sound 5 
    "NO ESTA EN NA" Charlie Palmieri 
    "COJE PA LA COLA" Los Hermanos Lopez Orchestra 
    "CONDICIONES QUE EXISTEN" Eddie Palmieri

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    "Condiciones Que Existen" is a bad jam!  On the Harlem River Drive tip for real.

This whole record (a comp of sorts) is pretty varied and a great listen:

That sleeve is pretty stunning too. 

Looking forward to throwing this mix on later, kick of the weekend right!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't know a whole lot about salsa, but I pick up all the salsa records I can find. Lots of suggestions here, Hector Lavoe, Willie Colon..., are affordable. Under $30.00 even under $15.00. Almost any thing on Fania is going to be a good listen, and have something for the dj set. I recently picked up a whole lot of 80s salsa, much of which is from Miami. Stuff looks cheesy, I expected condensed drums and keyboards instead of horns. Most of what I got was top flight.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    here is a latin mix i did purposely with NO Fania [ i love fania but wanted to expose other labels in this one mix]
    https://www.mixcloud.com/L13/l13-presents-el-barrio-en-bronx/

and then there is this mofo who everyone sleeps on:R.I.P Markolino Diamond

tnt es chevere'

• DAMODAMO 2 Posts
    Here's a few obscure cuts I would play at my Salsa night a few years back. Hope it leads to some discovery

Snowboy & The Latin Section

Sabu - Arroz con Leche 

Yosaku - Future Paradise (Stevie wonder re-edit)

Batacumbele 

Soul Jazz Records Presents Nu Yorica! 
    Cortijo Y Su Maquina Del Tiempo - Gumbo

Joe Bataan - Fuego (Whiskey Barons re-edit)

Los Hermanos Latinos - Chiquita

Ocho - Hot Pants 

- spidey

• bosqbosq boston 6 Posts
    kala said:
    here is a latin mix i did purposely with NO Fania [ i love fania but wanted to expose other labels in this one mix]
    https://www.mixcloud.com/L13/l13-presents-el-barrio-en-bronx/

and then there is this mofo who everyone sleeps on:R.I.P Markolino Diamond

tnt es chevere'

Mark Diamond is so dope man

also love TnT everyone goes for The Meditation but their salsa shit is top notch!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    It's basically endless. So much sick stuff out there