Mic Check 1-2, 1-2

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited October 2015 in Strut Central
Been crazy busy the past few weeks. Looking slow around here.

Comments

• i still check in every day and post from time to time but it seems like we have about 5-10 regulars left at best and that many hours pass between posts. shit is getting dire. i'd say we all got too old, too many responsibilities and distractions, ran out of things to talk about etc... but then i see that waxidermy is full of 40 somethings and it seems to be thriving. unfortunately for me, i don;t want to talk about obscure records that suck.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    shit is getting dire.

This.... Nothing worse than going through a slow message board death. It's pretty humiliating, actually.

The thing that keeps me going is the 10+ years of data / knowledge, good times archived on this here forum. Priceless.

The idea that this place could be bopping like it once was, is becoming less and less a reality.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I'll keep coming through, Raj. You used to not like that idea, but I'm pretty sure I've worn on you by now.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I ain't going nowhere, Brotimes.

Attached files

Apparently, the dark web is where it's at...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Often I get an error message when posting.
    Which is a good thing because I often post before thinking.
    But fewer posts.

I don't have the fire I used to for this shit. I'm sure we all consider that to be a good thing. For instance, when that Bill Laswell thread went on last week with all praise for an artist whose records I deliberately avoid like the plague, I bit my tongue and left the Laswell fans to it. In the past, I woulda tore into them. Again, we're all better off, but fewer posts and fewer fireworks.

LaserWolf said:
    Often I get an error message when posting.
    Which is a good thing because I often post before thinking.
    But fewer posts.

The message board software I am using is SHIT. I plan to switch in the next few months to Vanilla. Not that any new bells and whistles will make this place pop off any more... but I've been testing it and it is a much more 2015 user's experience.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    ran out of things to talk about

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    I lurk
    I check site when:
    Awakening
    Eating
    Blazing
    Pooping
    Waiting

I listen to the mixes everyday and rep mixes to all music seekers (I appreciate the high quality re-ups but is there a link to the old mixes page w hella more mixes?).

Thank you Raj and everyone.
    Best site on the net.
    Being popular isn't a measure of value so don't trip.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I really do appreciate all the hard work you continue to put into this site, Raj. I check in several times everyday but ought to post more topics. Generally, I'm replying to posts or hanging back in lurkmode. Perhaps many others do the same, which is why it's so quiet. Anyway, I've been around since 2003(ish) and not going anywhere.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    I rarely post, used to think I knew about these records. Then you regulars throw all these vinyls out there I never knew about and slightly change my world up. But it's a daily, lurker thing for me and also appreciate the time and effort put into keeping this thing going. I wish I had more knowledge to drop on yous guys, and enjoy the FF we've had for the past several years. Also, that real headz is amazing.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    deezlee said:
    I lurk
    I check site when:
    Awakening
    Eating
    Blazing
    Pooping
    Waiting

I listen to the mixes everyday and rep mixes to all music seekers (I appreciate the high quality re-ups but is there a link to the old mixes page w hella more mixes?).

Thank you Raj and everyone.
    Best site on the net.
    Being popular isn't a measure of value so don't trip.

Thank you. Now whenever I see one of your posts I will imagine you writing it while sitting on the toilet.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Raj,

I've been:

I have a lot going on at the gig, so I'm hustlin'. I still check in on the daily though, still plugged in.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ^^ Mr. Me Too. Fam and work = endless effort. I love checking the site as a break - usually everyday. But less time to post. Trying to focus on ripping and contributing to the Raëlian Headz.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Summer is always quiet what with real world moves, no? Once the nights draw in and the weather turns to sh*t...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I ain't going nowhere, still checking this place everyday...10 years on here now...btw, did you guys hear that vinyls are making a comeback? So rad!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Seems like most everyone is checking the site daily (myself included) but not creating new threads as often.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    +1 for the 'still checking every day' brigade.
    Occasional reader of the other sites and Smfh at the sheer desperate collectro empty lives seemingly on display there.
    I also ain't going nowhere.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I ain't going nowhere

You get my PM Raj?

• I'm still here, but like Harvey, don't have fire for much. I don't really buy records anymore, barely have time to make music, etc. I'm a working dad. I do still like to read about things and look at records. I actually always enjoyed the strut more for the in jokes, general vibe than the overall record aspect of it. That's a big appeal, but the shit flowing from person to person (pasue) was why it was so fun.

I'd be 100% into a rebirth. This was my news channel. I honestly have times where I feel like the Internet has nothing to offer me and I get bored. The strut used to to be my funnel, bringing the Internet to me. Now that it has slowed, I feel lost, but I'm also kinda happy to be off the Internet.

We need some beef or controversy to get things rolling.

I heard that dog on the cover of DJ Day's album was really a cat. Fuck that shit, yo!

I heard Thes really only had one side of the bell-less Bob James tape. Dude talking bout I got the reel to reel. Brah, you got the reel, period. Ain't no "to" involved. Just one side of the reel, spilling on the floor. Quit lying.

I heard Serg was allergic to hot sauce and liquor. Dude be puttin yogurt on everything to temper the heat.

I heard Young Phonics was really old.

I heard Ross Hogg wakes up at 3 am everyday to reapply all those fake tattoos.

Shots fired.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I'd have to work if it wasn't for t3h Strut.

:shudder:

It's been a slow week but there's always gold in these here hills.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

I KNEW IT!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm another whose daily routine includes a couple of stops here to check whats happening. It may be slower here but I still consider this place home.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Apparently, the dark web is where it's at...

Is that where Fox Rules ended up?

Controller_7 said:

We need some beef or controversy to get things rolling.

I heard that dog on the cover of DJ Day's album was really a cat. Fuck that shit, yo!

I heard Thes really only had one side of the bell-less Bob James tape. Dude talking bout I got the reel to reel. Brah, you got the reel, period. Ain't no "to" involved. Just one side of the reel, spilling on the floor. Quit lying.

I heard Serg was allergic to hot sauce and liquor. Dude be puttin yogurt on everything to temper the heat.

I heard Young Phonics was really old.

Shots fired.

These are great. You just got reel. Ha!

• I don't post a ton Raj but I will echo the lizard king when I say - this place has everything - and your layout/look is second to none homey. Keep your chin up pup and be proud of this thing called The Strut.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I still lurk/check in every day. Still learning about dope music on this site, even though I don't chime in very often.

And I still intend on sharing some brazilian stuff with the real headz, just have to get a friend to let me use his set up to rip some records.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I really think it’s time for Soulstrut to be done, Raj.

While I know that Soulstrut got its first toehold on the strength of, like, Iron Monkey heavy-metal-breaks mixes and Alphonse Mouzon mp3s and shit, once the forum clicked (what was that, like one or two years in?), pretty much every subsequent iteration of Soulstrut that mattered was built on the back of one thing: Engaged people talking about music in interesting ways.

Everything that has ever made Soulstrut noteworthy, made it something you couldn’t get somewhere else, can be traced back to the voice and character and style of the people who posted here and who actively engaged with whatever came through the door. All these other things—mixes, mp3s, youtube playlists, Real Heads forum, whatever—are cool, but without that steady hum of engaged people talking about music in interesting ways, Soulstrut will not escape the quagmire of its current constituency, dominated as it is by leeches, spectators, coasters, and well-meaning but ultimately plea-copping motherfuckers. In the face of that kind of pervasive (if smiling) apathy, the rest is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Soulstrut “bopping like it once was” is not going to happen. The internet has changed, expectations have changed, people have changed. Annual threads like this will continue to bring people out of the woodwork on some “Please don’t go (girl)!”, but all of the outcry will continue to somehow never exactly translate into things getting any better, and Soulstrut will remain the online equivalent of that once-hot record store where nobody spends any money anymore but that they’d sure hate to see close.

I say without exaggeration that Soulstrut has, on at least a couple different levels, changed my life. Possibly even saved it. I wish I was kidding. Even so, it’s time. It's been time. Soulstrut’s particularity has largely exhausted itself.

Dudes who want to keep up with each other can and will find other ways to keep up with each other. Dudes who want to get their voice out there can and will find others ways to get their voice out there. And the non-contributing, data-hoovering, no-style-having fuckers can, in the words of Bobby “Blue” Bland, get their money where they spend their time.

Archive those “10+ years of data,” put them behind some kind of online portal attended by a decent search function, turn out the lights over here, pour yourself a tall snifter of something over there, and think—as we all should—about whatever’s next.

Onward, upward, and elseward.

Love,

james