Shipping in bulk from France...

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited September 2015 in Strut Central
Would anyone have any advice on shipping a small collection from Paris to the US? Trying to relocate about 800 LPs to the US and wondering what might be the least expensive way of doing so. Not sure what all the options are in France - anyone with any info please let me know!

Thanks y'all.

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Not in France, But surface mail would be the cheapest option. Just have to allow 1-2 months for delivery.
    You just need to check if its available option I guess.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Don't know about France, but the USPS has no surface mail option to anywhere.
    So what you would need in the States would be a freight company that doesn't mind handling about 10 boxes.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    when I moved from NYC down to Brazil a few years ago a large chunk of my move were my records - I didn't take any furniture or anything big like that. Most freight companies only work domestically, so they won't know how to send things out internationally, and I remember some of the international freight companies being quite expensive. International moving companies are a better bet, a big company can offer a service where they combine your things with other people's in order to fill up a container (some companies only offered full, half, or 1/4 of a container, which is a lot more than 800 LPs would take up). This can take a few weeks longer, since it will sit in their warehouse until they have enough for a full container. Also make sure you get door-to-door service, that way they'll take care of the customs work at the port of entry. Although if this is not your personal move (as in you're not the one receiving the LPs back in the US), a moving company might not take it.

• Woimsah said:
    Would anyone have any advice on shipping a small collection from Paris to the US? Trying to relocate about 800 LPs to the US and wondering what might be the least expensive way of doing so. Not sure what all the options are in France - anyone with any info please let me know!

Thanks y'all.
    Woimsah - good luck on the move! I've worked for an int'l freight forwarder for 10 years, so thought I'd share a few tips.
    - As Ppadilha mentioned, it will be expensive, but I would recommend using an international moving company also. Freight forwarders shouldn't handle/ship the records as they are considered personal goods (for the simple fact they're not "cargo" goods/freight).
    - Pack these bad boys up very well. Maybe use thick foam, wrap in plastic (weather/water protection), etc. Even if you are using movers/shipping companies they handle freight like luggage so it just gets thrown around like a rag doll.
    - You may want to ask the shipping company if they can insure. Valuation is a good/bad thing. If you put the value too high for insurance, you'll have to use the same value when presenting to US Customs and duties may apply. From a quick look, its about 2% for duties (so not horrible).
    - Yes ask for door to door rate. Even still there will be additional costs so just be prepared.
    I don't have experience with shipping a lot of records by mail or a company like DHL/UPS/Fedex but in all my years of shipping across the globe, there's risk no matter what. Sorry its not quite an optimistic outlook but just want you to be forewarned...