Rugby World Cup

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited September 2015 in Strut Central
Don't know if any of you 'Merimen are interested in the game of Rugby (your team is in this competition though).

anyway. Japan just beat South Africa in one of the biggest upsets in the game's history. It was a fantastic game. If you ever wanted to watch a game of rugby I'd [em]try[/em] this one.

Comments

• While it was nice to see Japan win, it's not like South Africa won't still win the pool. England vs. Japan in the quarters would be a cake-walk for the hosts.

• I'm not super interested in the RWC this time round, mainly due to the punishing force of media coercion (it is being rammed down your throat everywhere you look here, All Blacks milk on the shelves for example) and the fairly sickening interplay between the current government and our national team.
    It has soured me of the whole thing really.

That said, the news of Japans win this morning when I awoke was very cool, and the footage of the team and crowd on the final whistle was a great sight... pure joy!

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I don't get it, what is this?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    johnblack said:
    That said, the news of Japans win this morning when I awoke was very cool, and the footage of the team and crowd on the final whistle was a great sight... pure joy!
    It was a "MOVIES THAT [em]ALMOST[/em] MAKE YOU CRY" moment.

• for sure, 'happy' doesn't come close to what they must have felt.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Here's the match highlights from the Japan game - for you to enjoy/scoff at/be bewildered by. They don't do the game justice.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Everything I know about rugby I learned from Andy Capp.
    Watched some of it last week.
    You guys enjoy and let me know what happens.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It was tough watching All Blacks v Pumas

I'm all about the underdog sticking it to Teh Mighty Power, but jeebus it was Argentina ffs

And re the saffers, at one point they were 1-1000 to lose that game. Imagine stuffing a careless fiver on that. I'd be in Vegas w/ dwarf twins in a heartbeat.

• skel said:
    I'd be in Vegas w/ dwarf twins in a heartbeat.
    :oh_my:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There's a guy on reddit who claims he put $900 on Japan, simply because he likes Japanese stuff.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    johnblack said:
    skel said:
    I'd be in Vegas w/ dwarf twins in a heartbeat.
    :oh_my:

The odds on dwarf Siamese albino twins approx 475 billion to one. So I reined it in and settled for a lesser option. More achievable.
    Although we did find Siamese albino twins recorded in Victorian times, so there is hope.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Speaking of gambling odds, I bet they'd still have boner-softening music on their laptops.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    The 2 o clock start for Ireland x Canada (a comprehensive trashing) was a killer, by 10 that night, one of us had gone insane, other walked off tried to break into his house and got stuck climbing in a top window and was dangling half in half out for at least an hour and i'd fallen gracefully asleep in the pub.

japan game was pretty amazing

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Tough game for Scotland, and now I find myself rooting for Argentina!
    This type of player is why I watch the game... no chance of England fielding a guy like this:

Can the Boks beat the All Blacks? Only team in with a chance with players like Vermuelen: