Movies that really make you cry

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited September 2015 in Strut Central
Koyaanisqatsi makes me cry like a baby. It's overwhelming in a good way.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sounder...when I was 7.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    SLC Punk made me cry.

jjfad027 said:
    SLC Punk made me cry.

Dudes made me and my friends cry for our 5 dollars back.

Yes, we really went to the theater to see Dudes.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I totally embarrassed myself on a first (or second?) date when I started bawling in the first few minutes of Mississippi Masala when the family is getting kicked out of Uganda. I cried when they went back at the end, too.

Dancer in the Dark

Malcolm X - In His Own Words
    It's all a blur after he gets shot.

Beasts of the Southern Wild

• dear zachary

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    The Road.

Possibly the bleakest, most gut wrenching portrait of humanity that I can remember watching, cried throughout and was left feeling depressed for about 3 days.

I've got the book but not sure I have the stomach for it

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    The Road.

Possibly the bleakest, most gut wrenching portrait of humanity that I can remember watching, cried throughout and was left feeling depressed for about 3 days.

I've got the book but not sure I have the stomach for it

The book didn't affect me like that, though it is very bleak. I read it first and enjoyed the writing so much that the depressing quality of the subject matter didn't get to me.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    bassie said:

Dancer in the Dark

Yeah, Breaking the Wavvves too.

I'm an easy crier at movies, for some reason.

Elephant Man.

The first 10 minutes of Up.

Night of the Hunter?

The Fountain?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Tarnation

War movies generally make me cry at some point b/w humanity can be awful

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    First time I cried as an adult was at a movie. I was about 25yo.
    The art museum was showing an old movie that back in 1980 was all but forgotten.
    It's A Wonderful Life.
    I had never heard of it.
    Cried uncontrollably at the end.
    I've cried at almost every movie I've seen since then.

• I saw "Up" in the theater with my wife and we had phuggin waterfalls running down our cheeks. Every adult was in tears as the kids in the theater didn't think anything of it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Dawhud said:
    I saw "Up" in the theater with my wife and we had phuggin waterfalls running down our cheeks. Every adult was in tears as the kids in the theater didn't think anything of it.

Up is our anniversary movie. Watch it every year.

I'm actually a sucker for sports movies. Lou Gehrig, Roy Campanella, Brian Piccolo, Steve Prefontaine, Ernie Davis, We Are Marshall, etc.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    When I watched Twilight to see what all the hype was about, although the tears were for completely different reasons than what you guys have been listing

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Love Story used to do the job.

I swell up more during triumphant scenes vs death and sadness.

My new tear up involves certain images in the modern comic films that ive waited decades to see on screen. Like when Steve Rogers is in Times Square like WTF. Its like a buzzer beater or hail mary.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    My mate's dad used to cry at Captain Scarlet (mild peril). Afterwards, I swore I would always remain less moved than an Easter Island statue.

I think some saline welled up when they dumped the kid in "A.I."

Having kids can do that to a mug, beware.

• the amy winehouse doc caught me slippin'

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    This month I cried like three different ways at This Ain't California...a fake documentary.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Cloud Atlas great music and bad makeup and over ambitious story makes me sad

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• This is going to sound super lame and I can't believe I'm admitting to this......but I've only ever cried in a movie ONCE, and it was - wait for it - The Story of Us. I don't know why or how, but Rob Reiner just shot an arrow straight through my heart.

That being said...there are of course many movies that have affected me deeply. Hotel Rwanada was a tough one. Schindler's List obvi.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I watched that Funk Brothers docu "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" with tears in my eyes. The movie was so well executed and emotional I couldn't help it. I really liked the new interpretations of the old classic songs.

The full version is on youtube. Do yourself a favour and watch it with headphones or over a decent sound system.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    The art museum was showing an old movie that back in 1980 was all but forgotten.
    It's A Wonderful Life.
    I had never heard of it.
    I actually had a similar experience. They were showing it on one of my film courses at University (so I must have been around 19-20) and I went along out of interest as I knew of it, knew the Capra cliche, but had never seen it. I turned up late (just after the initial sequence) and hungover and sat in the corner.

Ended up weeping at the end and had to do some properly controlled breathing to regain my composure before meeting friends after the screening.

I'd also add Grave Of The Fireflies. I watched it once, about a year after a family bereavement, and it totally broke me for about 3 hours. Have never revisited.

And yeah, those first ten minutes of Up are brutal. I still can't recall anything about the rest of the film that followed despite watching it twice.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Senior said:
    LaserWolf said:
    It's A Wonderful Life.
    I had never heard of it.
    I actually had a similar experience. They were showing it on one of my film courses at University (so I must have been around 19-20) and I went along out of interest as I knew of it, knew the Capra cliche, but had never seen it. I turned up late (just after the initial sequence) and hungover and sat in the corner.

Ended up weeping at the end and had to do some properly controlled breathing to regain my composure before meeting friends after the screening.

I'd also add Grave Of The Fireflies. I watched it once, about a year after a family bereavement, and it totally broke me for about 3 hours. Have never revisited.

And yeah, those first ten minutes of Up are brutal. I still can't recall anything about the rest of the film that followed despite watching it twice.
    Cosine the sorrow of the first 10 minutes. 

Talking dogs I will accept with a stationary eyelid.  But then, that heebil zeppelin dude must have been like 150 years old, easy.  

No I don't mean Jimmy Page.

GTFOOHWTBS. Kind of took the edge off it for me.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Bjork's Dancer In The Dark film made me ball my eyes out.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    dear zachary
    +1. 
    just WOW.  I had to pause it a couple times because it was so intense.