Anyone here get booted from Soundcloud after third strike?

djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
edited September 2015 in Strut Central
Just received mine, and they nuked my account I've had since 2007. 3500 followers poof gone! I had disabled all my tracks and downloads months ago so it must have been redundant for something way back.
I know Soundcloud is not going to win their upcoming court case with Sony/UMG so how long do you think they're going to survive?
Artists and remixers are dropping like flies, even the pro paid accounts are not safe now.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/76649/20150815/soundcloud-under-attack-begins-removing-content-and-user-accounts.htm

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have had a bunch of friends have accounts taken down recently.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    I just had four tracks taken down, Waiting to see if I get booted.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    A friend who's been hosting his long-running music podcast on Soundcloud for at least a couple of years got locked out the other week.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I haven't been bounced because the first mix I uploaded they gave me some message that I could never share it because of an utterly forgettable latin jazz song from the fifites. I put some mixes on mixcloud after that.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    trzakhstan said:
    I haven't been bounced because the first mix I uploaded they gave me some message that I could never share it because of an utterly forgettable latin jazz song from the fifites. I put some mixes on mixcloud after that.

When I first read that, I thought you actually got a message from Soundcloud advising you not to share the mix because the selection was kinda/sorta. Soundcloud A&R!

But also: why are you putting utterly forgettable jamz in your mixes??

• ketan said:
    trzakhstan said:

When I first read that, I thought you actually got a message from Soundcloud advising you not to share the mix because the selection was kinda/sorta. Soundcloud A&R!

Everyone of my mixes on SC for the past couple of years starts inevitably starts off with a so-so non-majors track just to trick thier alogorithm. That's the name of the game.
    Are people really going to Mixcloud in large enought #s at this point?

mrmatthew said:
    ketan said:
    trzakhstan said:

Everyone of my mixes on SC for the past couple of years starts inevitably starts off with a so-so non-majors track just to trick thier alogorithm. That's the name of the game.

Yeah, I've actually had to be strategic about the first track too. (I usually put some sort of spoken word over a soundscape.)

Has hulkshare gotten many artists/DJs on board, or it's mainly promoters? They're platform seems similar to SC.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    The alternatives are https://hearthis.at/
    Doubt it will ever get as big as SC but many remixers/artists have migrated over to it.
    Hulkshare has to be getting some legal heat from labels by now?
    Mixcloud is okay for long mixes. Do they even allow a single song remixed?

djtopcat said:
    The alternatives are https://hearthis.at/
    Doubt it will ever get as big as SC but many remixers/artists have migrated over to it.
    Hulkshare has to be getting some legal heat from labels by now?
    Mixcloud is okay for long mixes. Do they even allow a single song remixed?

Hearthis is starting to gather momentum, its still a little slow though, mixcloud wont allow single songs and will delete, I even had my MF Doom mix deleted from there (and later re upped after an email)

i just checked my SC account and i have 8 strikes against me!

i don't like how mixcloud doesn't have integrated downloads, but i guess it's easy enough to include a dropbox link in the comments. would be great if they allow single songs, too.

i just checked the site, but can someone summarize how hearthis is different from SC?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Soundcloud say they've struck a deal over copyright so DJs can post mixes now without fear of take-downs.

hmm, I wonder if it is too little too late. They have definitely lost a lot of momentum in that category, when it was at its peak soundcloud always struck me as far more communal than mixcloud. I might have to make a mix tonight to test it out!

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I have been sharing some mixes on mixcloud over the past couple years, and I have had only one browser freeze up on my while entering the song timestamps. I remember over time soundcloud has days where it just runs like a dog or the embeds don't work or everything freezes for some reason. I even whitelisted mixcloud on my adblocker and it runs fine each time.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Soundcloud say they've struck a deal over copyright so DJs can post mixes now without fear of take-downs.

Too late?

RAJ said:

Too late?
    they may be ok, they definitely pissed a lot of creatives and contributors off however the listeners didnt really seem to give a shit that peoples accounts were getting taken down, they just moved onto the next thing. The other thing is no other singular platform has really gained massive amounts of traction since then. I think in genres that most of us would be interested the listeners have definitely thinned out, but across a lot of other genres there is still some huge numbers. And most of us would be willing to eat some humble pie and go back to getting 20K plus listens to a mix than a few hundred on say mixcloud (unless you pay to boost your mix)