Knee Injuries (health-related)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited August 2015 in Strut Central
So I strained my knee a bit from overly exerting myself at boxing. (i.e. particularly for the left hook, orthodox stance. hard rotations on the left knee with basketball shoes (too much grip))

Don't know if it's a slight meniscus tear or not. At what point do you know if something has torn? I mean, I can walk around without too much problem. But I'm being very cautious. Started taking supplements to try to speed up recovery as well.

Up until now, I've NEVER had an issue with my knees. So for this point forward, I'm never taking my knees for granted.

Surgeries, home-remedies, let me know.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The ones NOT to tear are the cruciate ligaments - if you'd done them, you wouldn't be walking around. I've suffered from this [http://patient.info/health/knee-pain-patellofemoral-pain] this year, which was probably caused by having my son sitting on my foot and holding my leg while I moved him around like a crane.

I've got an elasticated sleeve over my knee, and this seems to stop it popping. Been OK since June, not taking any risks until Winter. Still riding a fair bit, which doesn't seem to provoke it.

Good luck.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    get to a doctor asap, I did my knee a few years ago and had some very poor medical advise from a shit doctor and ended up being in excruciating pain for years. Dont fusk around when it comes to back/knees and ankles

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Had a meniscus tear 5 years back, excruciating pain and mad swelling for days, certainly no walking.
    Then once swelling had gone, I was able to function for a year - but felt psychologically unable to kick a ball or do anything other than walk. Getting in and out of bed was a paranoia hit every day.
    Finally had an arthroscopy and been fine ever since. Meniscus removed, don't miss that fucker one little bit. They even gave it to me, in a jar of some preservative. Binned it about a week later, having scared the wits out of many, many people with it.
    Ah the memories.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The ones NOT to tear are the cruciate ligaments - if you'd done them, you wouldn't be walking around. I've suffered from this [http://patient.info/health/knee-pain-patellofemoral-pain] this year, which was probably caused by having my son sitting on my foot and holding my leg while I moved him around like a crane.

I've got an elasticated sleeve over my knee, and this seems to stop it popping. Been OK since June, not taking any risks until Winter. Still riding a fair bit, which doesn't seem to provoke it.

Good luck.

LCL and ACL right. Yea, I heard those are bad.

I've since gotten a knee sleeve as well. Should be arriving soon. Will let you guys know how it feels.

skel said:
    Had a meniscus tear 5 years back, excruciating pain and mad swelling for days, certainly no walking.
    Then once swelling had gone, I was able to function for a year - but felt psychologically unable to kick a ball or do anything other than walk. Getting in and out of bed was a paranoia hit every day.
    Finally had an arthroscopy and been fine ever since. Meniscus removed, don't miss that fucker one little bit. They even gave it to me, in a jar of some preservative. Binned it about a week later, having scared the wits out of many, many people with it.
    Ah the memories.

Yea, I hear you on the psychological aspect of injuries, especially for those that exercise intensely (play soccer, basketball, do boxing), even on an amateur level.

It's scary to think, if you're careless, you may never be able to run and pivot like you used to.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Hey Yuichi,

I tore my ACL when I was 19 (I'm 32 now) and you would know if you did something that bad. I was an idiot and kept playing hockey with a torn ACL for another month before getting it fixed.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, and sure enough I twisted the other knee and its looking like a meniscus tear. I went to the doctor and luckily they're saying all ligaments are attached with the normal push/pull knee tests. X-rays showed the bones are clearly separated but its still not feeling 100% Getting an MRI done and I'm expecting surgery...

Best advice...and I hate this myself...is go to an orthopedic and have them check it out.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I've always had a bit of a weak right knee, and only in the last few years has it started to bother me. It would take me a full week between soccer/futbol matches to recover from the soreness, and then I'd go right into another match. X-rays/MRIs ordered by my family doc didn't show anything. They referred me to a sports medicine doc and he quickly figured out what was wrong (two muscles that attach below the knee and help the joint function were weak) and told me to wear a pricey below-knee bandage and get some physio to strengthen the two muscles. After 3 months of sticking to that, I was fine.

"It's scary to think, if you're careless, you may never be able to run and pivot like you used to."

Go see a doctor! Don't you have that Obamacare now??

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Do you do pro boxing training/ workout as well as straight box?

I spent half my time stretching and conditioning when I was learning Judo.
    And I'm sure u have a trainer or something.

• I box (and lift) with a trainer. if you injured your knee throwing a left hook there's probably something in your mechanics down there before your shoe choice... I work out in airmax 95s which are awful and give me plantar fiascis so I have arch inserts but never have injured my knees. def need to upgrade but a lot of folks at my spot box barefoot or in socks so again I'm not sure footwear is going to prevent injury, only stretching, strength and form can do that. I would def work with a trainer on this stuff at least when you're first learning to prevent injury and make sure your fundamentals are correct.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    anyone need a "You sound old" ?

• yuichi said:
    skel said:
    Ah the memories.

Yea, I hear you on the psychological aspect of injuries, especially for those that exercise intensely (play soccer, basketball, do boxing), even on an amateur level.

It's scary to think, if you're careless, you may never be able to run and pivot like you used to.

In regards to the psychology of pain there are two types of injuries; bad one and not too bad ones.

It sounds like you knee is good, go for a jog and take your mind off that knee.

• Doctor up for sure.
    Depending on the issue, get on to a physiotherapist too and get some exercises.

I royally fucked my knee surfing, small cruciate ligament tear, small bone fracture AND bruised the bone.
    there was NO walking possible but luckily my friend is a physiotherapist at the hospital and she got me in super quick and on some crutches. Somehow I avoided surgery, but I had to REALLY take it easy and do my exercises.
    that knee is now super strong, and I have no lingering mental issues with taking it easy on the knee, that thing is bulletproof after all the work that was put in to it.

Happened as soon as I turned 40... hahaha, welcome to phase 2.

batmon said:
    Do you do pro boxing training/ workout as well as straight box?

I spent half my time stretching and conditioning when I was learning Judo.
    And I'm sure u have a trainer or something.

Mostly on my own. A few tips here and there and some mitt work. My friend has taught me in the past too with some basics.

I do a good bit of warming up. I go pretty damn hard with these workouts and I'm slightly overweight. 5'8" 163lbs. Too much too quick I think. Reminds me of the time, I started playing ball all of a sudden and my joints were hurting for a week.

JonnyPaycheck said:
    I box (and lift) with a trainer. if you injured your knee throwing a left hook there's probably something in your mechanics down there before your shoe choice... I work out in airmax 95s which are awful and give me plantar fiascis so I have arch inserts but never have injured my knees. def need to upgrade but a lot of folks at my spot box barefoot or in socks so again I'm not sure footwear is going to prevent injury, only stretching, strength and form can do that. I would def work with a trainer on this stuff at least when you're first learning to prevent injury and make sure your fundamentals are correct.

My fundamentals are aiite, I think. There's just so much POWER behind my punches is the problem! lol Naw, but I definitely do think, depending on your frame, weight, diet (caffeine sucking nutrients, exercise on an empty stomach is not good), etc. it can have a toll on your knees. A quick google search and I found an article that said, footwear can contribute to injury, as basketball shoes "stick", as opposed to a boxing/wrestling shoe, which lets you pivot easier. I didn't have a problem wearing New Balance running shoes for a month straight. As soon as I switched to some Kobes, it didn't necessarily feel the best. Rubber on rubber mat shit...

Also, it's clear I was overexerting myself too. I was exercising like 5 days a week. Lost like 7lbs and gained much more muscle in like a month and a half. My plan is to shed a few pounds and get my lower body just as strong though. Can't support no Pacquiao punches on some jello legs!!! Punching shit is more fun, and I got lazier on the running.

When I was in my early 20s, I swore I wasn't gonna be like those "bloated looking 30 year old corporate types". Somewhere through the years, I became just that. Working on it now though.

Now in my early 30s, I hope I don't become "jogging just for exercise" occassionally dude at 40 with a "dad bod".

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Yuichi,

Unfortunately, as you age, pain comes with the territory when you exercise consistently. From the sounds of it, I don't think you've hurt your knee too seriously. Back in high school, I had a knee injury playing football (strained ligaments) that didn't require surgery. Nonetheless, I wear elastic sleeves on my knees when I do any kind of intense training involving my knees (e.g., running, playing basketball, jumping rope, box jumping, boxing, etc.). As others have suggested, you should see a doctor to make sure you're OK. Also, you might want to focus more attention on therapy after training such as icing down or a cold bath (maybe with ice added) immediately after exercising. Later during the same day, you can apply a heating pad to sooth and loosen sore joints and muscles. It's amazing how much those sorts of therapies speed recuperative time for old geezers like me. Big ups on devoting time to training, and I wish you well in your efforts.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yeah bro going super hard 5 days a week is probably going to break you down somewhere if you are not a professional. recovery is important. maybe just as important because that's where you make your gains as far as diet, rest, hydration, etc.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    JonnyPaycheck said:
    yeah bro going super hard 5 days a week is probably going to break you down somewhere if you are not a professional. recovery is important. maybe just as important because that's where you make your gains as far as diet, rest, hydration, etc.

I do a 5-day-a-week regimen, so I can relate totally. Indeed, the full complement of tactics you listed are imperative to stay active and not go down for the count (or end up in traction). Even more importantly, you have to know and listen to your body. Unlike back in the day, I simply CAN'T run 5-days-a-week (outside) as my knees won't hold up. Now, I compromise with 2-days-a-week on a treadmill and I mix in other less knee-intensive cardio such as the elliptical, stair climber, stationary bike, jumping rope, and hitting the heavy bag. I wish I could be my 20-year old self again, but :real_headz:. Now, I simply try to be the best-trained 45-year old I can be, and leave it at that.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

yuichi said:

When I was in my early 20s, I swore I wasn't gonna be like those "bloated looking 30 year old corporate types". Somewhere through the years, I became just that. Working on it now though.

Now in my early 30s, I hope I don't become "jogging just for exercise" occassionally dude at 40 with a "dad bod".

At least you have the drive. So just make some adjustments.

You need to cop some Boxing kicks. Or some high tech "cross-training" joints.
    For some one who talks about dudes getting injured because of adidas and shit, I'm surprised your not correctly equipped.

And if your overweight, what is up w/ your diet?
    Going in hard and still being on some sugar & junk shit is gambling w/ yourself.

Swimming/water-work is your friend.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Swimming is by far the best low impact/high return exercise for a dude like me turning 44 tomorrow. Swimming in fresh water...even better.

HarveyCanal said:
    Swimming is by far the best low impact/high return exercise for a dude like me turning 44 tomorrow. Swimming in fresh water...even better.

^^ this may have already been discussed here, but why does he have a tourniquet around his thigh? (not looking at his schlong...not looking at his schlong...not looking at his schlong...)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hunting knife holster?

ketan said:
    ^^ this may have already been discussed here, but why does he have a tourniquet around his thigh? (not looking at his schlong...not looking at his schlong...not looking at his schlong...)

Scuba Knife

yuichi said:
    JonnyPaycheck said:
    I box (and lift) with a trainer. if you injured your knee throwing a left hook there's probably something in your mechanics down there before your shoe choice... I work out in airmax 95s which are awful and give me plantar fiascis so I have arch inserts but never have injured my knees. def need to upgrade but a lot of folks at my spot box barefoot or in socks so again I'm not sure footwear is going to prevent injury, only stretching, strength and form can do that. I would def work with a trainer on this stuff at least when you're first learning to prevent injury and make sure your fundamentals are correct.

My plan is to shed a few pounds and get my lower body just as strong though. Can't support no Pacquiao punches on some jello legs!!! Punching shit is more fun, and I got lazier on the running.

Yep, there is nothing worse than building up your upper body without proper attention to your legs. You don't want to look like those dudes with the Conan the Barbarian upper torsos and chicken legs. Be sure to devote the proper time to weight training your legs. There are tons of dudes walking around Retro Fitness looking like this guy:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

yuichi said:
    Surgeries, home-remedies, let me know.

batmon said:
    ketan said:

Scuba Knife

That makes sense b/w the 80s were a trip

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Yuichi,

Unfortunately, as you age, pain comes with the territory when you exercise consistently. From the sounds of it, I don't think you've hurt your knee too seriously. Back in high school, I had a knee injury playing football (strained ligaments) that didn't require surgery. Nonetheless, I wear elastic sleeves on my knees when I do any kind of intense training involving my knees (e.g., running, playing basketball, jumping rope, box jumping, boxing, etc.). As others have suggested, you should see a doctor to make sure you're OK. Also, you might want to focus more attention on therapy after training such as icing down or a cold bath (maybe with ice added) immediately after exercising. Later during the same day, you can apply a heating pad to sooth and loosen sore joints and muscles. It's amazing how much those sorts of therapies speed recuperative time for old geezers like me. Big ups on devoting time to training, and I wish you well in your efforts.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yup, this knee sleeve is on the way.
    http://www.zensah.com/men/men-running/compression-knee-sleeve.html

And definitely gonna do the icing/heating treatment post-workout from now on too. It's an investment worth protecting! I'm pretty good at detecting mild injuries and laying off when it doesn't feel right instead of pushing through.

Also, it seems to be common knowledge that swimming is inherently low impact on your knees, but not when you're doing breaststroke
    or kicking pretty hard.

JonnyPaycheck said:
    yeah bro going super hard 5 days a week is probably going to break you down somewhere if you are not a professional. recovery is important. maybe just as important because that's where you make your gains as far as diet, rest, hydration, etc.

Def wasn't resting properly. Also was guzzling iced coffees a few hrs prior to workouts. There's numerous articles online that say, it's not good for arthritic paients.. It's a combination of fatigue, wrong footwear, and not eating properly pre-workout I think.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

At least you have the drive. So just make some adjustments.

You need to cop some Boxing kicks. Or some high tech "cross-training" joints.
    For some one who talks about dudes getting injured because of adidas and shit, I'm surprised your not correctly equipped.

And if your overweight, what is up w/ your diet?
    Going in hard and still being on some sugar & junk shit is gambling w/ yourself.

Swimming/water-work is your friend.

Batmon,

My running shoes were fine, but with every pivot the sole was getting jacked up, so I switched to my old kobes. All-over herringbone sole doesn't pivot well on a rubber mat. Def getting some boxing shoes soon.

Usually eat a balanced diet of meat, vegs, fruits. Generally no soda. I'm fairly good with that. I didn't rest properly and ice 'em up is another problem in hindsight. After the first 30min. of running the treadmill, shadowboxing, and hitting the heavy bag, my t-shirt would be drenched in sweat.

Never taking my knees for granted ever again though!