what is the origin of the open drums on the UBB version of "sport"?

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited August 2015 in Strut Central
where do those open drums come from on the UBB version of sport? i'd imagine if people had had access to the reels we'd have seen many more bootlegs from that time with the inst. accapella, etc.

the celluloid reissue came before the UBB version so maybe that's a connection?

anyone know/ have theories?

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• The "Sport" drum break only appears on the original United Artists pressing of the Hustlers Convention LP. Break lasts for about 2 bars. It was then extended/looped on the UBB series. All the represses and reissues (including the Celluloid issue) for whatever reason omitted the open drum at the start of the song.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    ah, that explains it. i've never listened to a OG, just the reissues. wonder why it's never been issued with the open drums?

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Lenny Roberts and Breakbeat Lou just did simple cut and paste edits to extend the breaks etc.
    I think it's pretty funny if people actually believe what they hear on UBB tracks is how the original records sound. I can't remember which tunes, but there's a few that are way off beat with the loops and it is obvious. Also some songs are sped up,slowed down etc from the originals.