Can you help to identify this female Soul artist and possibly the album?????

edited August 2015 in Strut Central
https://app.box.com/s/1j0yngn7vdsrbi4t6q3gq52jurvy4hmg

Hello, first post here and need some other ears on this issue. I have a mystery LP that features a female Soul-Jazz singer that I am trying to identify. (Link to some clips are provided top of page.) Of all things, the record is jacketed and labeled as Artie Kaplan's "Down By The Old Stream"....lol!
Label is Paramount Records.
It has a boldly etched matrix # (which is lightly scratched out) of PAS-6082-A / PAS-6082-B.
My internet research on Paramount Records turns up no releases bearing this #.
It also has the Artie Kaplan catalog/matrix # of PAS-1019-A1/PAS-1019-B1 faintly etched.

Best I can make out on Side 1:
Track 1 is probably titled "Burn All The Bridges" or maybe "Burning Bridges"????
Track 2 is definitely "Evil Gal Blues" (Pretty good job, but it's just not Aretha...lol)
Track 3 is probably "Don't Let Me Fall In Love With You"????
Track 4 is definitely Bread's "Make It With You" (Nice cover of this classic.)

Sure appreciate any help or even just some good guesses on this.
If you'd like clips of Side 2 also or even the whole album for that matter feel free to ask.
Thanks. -Brian

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    If the matrix number is etched into the run-out groove, try Discogs

• Thanks. Had no luck there earlier.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Probably just some obscure female soul singer on Paramount. Evil Gal Blues was covered by a lot of singers. Have you thought of peeling off the label and seeing if another one is underneath?
    It's obviously a pressing mistake.

• Have you thought of peeling off the label and seeing if another one is underneath?

Doesn't appear to be another label underneath. Yes, obviously a pressing error. Just curious if it was something slated to be released under that scratched out matrix # and then later scrapped?
    Maybe a silly question, but can a record be pressed and then later recycled and pressed into a different record as if it were a blank?
    If so, perhaps this was the intention but it just didn't get done before being labeled and sleeved as Artie Kaplan?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    djtopcat said:
    Probably just some obscure female soul singer on Paramount.

I think so too. Paramount had a few one-off non-soundtrack LPs in the early 70s; some better (Lyn Christopher, Wilbur Bascomb) than others (Kyle). This was issued between the time of the Ivory Joe Hunter country album and the Joel Kaye one, it seems. By the way, welcome, Brian. Tell us a little about yourself sometime.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Brian Pace said:
    Have you thought of peeling off the label and seeing if another one is underneath?

Doesn't appear to be another label underneath. Yes, obviously a pressing error. Just curious if it was something slated to be released under that scratched out matrix # and then later scrapped?
    Maybe a silly question, but can a record be pressed and then later recycled and pressed into a different record as if it were a blank?
    If so, perhaps this was the intention but it just didn't get done before being labeled and sleeved as Artie Kaplan?

Probably they were going to use the blank lacquer to make an Artie Kaplan stamper and at the last minute used it for the record you have instead, which seems to be unreleased. Not sure how it would end up with the AK label, maybe person at the plant pulled the wrong stamper and didn't notice the other matrix #. You can't 'repress' a record in the way you describe.

This could be a pretty unique item. There is nothing about it on the internet and there almost certainly would be if it had come out.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I love that kind of stuff.
    Gospel singer was talked into making a secular lp then decided she didn't want it released.
    Very much in the style of lps that Marion Williams and Clara Ward released around the same time.

I think it is a NYC studio group.

2 Dinah Washington songs.

If there was a way to find out who licensed the two Dinah Washington songs around the same time you might be able to narrow it down more. Probably going to take some serious researching to get your answer. Wouldn't hurt to post on discomusic.com forum too. There's some 70's era djs that hang out there that know all genres not just disco. I've had them solve a few obscure early 70's soul tunes in the past.

I'm not convinced Evil Gal and Make It are the same vocalist as the other 2.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I have this same exact pressing of the Artie lp, always wondered who it actually was.

• Electrode said:
    By the way, welcome, Brian. Tell us a little about yourself sometime.

Thank you for the kind welcome. Me...just a 36 year old record hound in Louisville KY.
    Anymore info than that would get you yawning...believe me..lol

• Thanks for all the input so far everybody. Gonna keep digging.

@Haze25 Ahh..so there's at least 2 out there.

I'm gonna post some clips from Side 2 also pretty soon if anybody is interested. Maybe it will help out somehow.

• LaserWolf said:

Which of the other two besides "Evil Gal Blues"?

Brian Pace said:
    LaserWolf said:

Which of the other two besides "Evil Gal Blues"?

At the end of your clip she is singing What A Difference A Day Makes. DW's biggest hit.

• At the end of your clip she is singing What A Difference A Day Makes. DW's biggest hit.

Thanks for pointing that out....I didn't even notice that. No break between those last two tracks....(guess I wasn't paying very good attention while sampling/recording ...lol)

• https://app.box.com/s/fk6uvygsss0wpd1ie6ih2brr0emjiip4

Heading out of town for a few days, so went ahead and got the Side 2 clips put together. (linked above)
    Will check back when I get home to see if it helped out any.
    Take care folks.

First-cover of Antonio Carlos Jobim's-Mediation
    Second-mystery lounge bimbo type song
    Third-cover of Solomon Burke's-Love thy neighbor?
    Fourth-movie soundtrack type song
    Fifth-unknown

One name popped into my head because she sang on strks and theatrical type stuff, plus she had a jazz/soul background
    Leslie Uggams? Could just be a soundtrack.