The "Man Bun"

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited November 2015 in Off Topic (NRR)
I'm seeing a lot of these around lately:

Does this hair cut come with a free hacky-sack?

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Exceedingly few are able to pull it off.
    It's definitely not for me.

I suppose if you have long hair, the bun is great because you just tie your tresses up and you're done. No hair goop or styling needed.

But yeah, dudes have been rocking the bun/topknot for a couple years in my neck of the woods.

I'm no better with my beard + skin fade :/

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I was recently in Maui and saw 3 in one day. They all had the sides shaved though, like clean sides, and barely enough hair to pull it up top. Maybe not a bun, but a top pony? Either way, it was NAGL.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I was recently in Maui and saw 3 in one day. They all had the sides shaved though, like clean sides, and barely enough hair to pull it up top. Maybe not a bun, but a top pony? Either way, it was NAGL.

You mean like a 1990's undercut?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Like this:

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    That look has been going on for quite some time over here in Australia. Commonly referred to as the 'top knot'.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    My lady was talking about this older guy in our neighborhood who has a whitehaired version of this. I didn't recall seeing him, so I asked for more of a description and all she could say was "He really creeps me out."

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    My lady was talking about this older guy in our neighborhood who has a whitehaired version of this.

2015 version of this guy:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This guy isn't helping:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    No worries. This is just everyone wanting to be Wade Garrett in Roadhouse.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    RAJ said:

Hey Raj,

It seems that more effeminate looks for men are in style right now. Apparently, the 'manly man' is so 1990s. ;-)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    effeminate looks for men are in style right now.

Basically the look that chicks dig a lot of times. Euro-man, Japan-man stylez.

I used to pride myself on not giving into these stylez, but my ex's have slowly but surely turned me
    into said Japan-man "clean" outfits.

On the opposite spectrum, I still see dudes from time to time, being sloppy with their fashion and lifestyle...

With all due respect, I wouldn't characterize the "bun" as effeminate so much as it looks more on some yogi styles, especially with a beard, and I think some women love that because it doesn't say "9 to 5er". Throw in visible neck/hand tattoos on a dude and younger women (in particular) seem to find it highly attractive (not all, natch).

Looks are just a code to denote your socioeconomic status, your interests, your health, etc., and the code is largely set by the fashion industry. Today's "bun" will be replaced by an updated rat-tail, which will be replaced by clean shaven crew-cuts...etc.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Like many looks, you can get away with it a lot more effectively if you are a bad motherfucker to begin with. See Opie from Sons of Anarchy:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Ok I feel we getting close to a strutter fessing up on this.

One of the dudes who keep touting Rumours. Or one of the DnB / Junglist crowd.

Where's the betting?

skel said:

One of the dudes who keep touting Rumours. Or one of the DnB / Junglist crowd.

Where's the betting?

Yes! I will send a random record to any strutter that posts a pic of themself wearing a legit man bun or top-knot while holding any record.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    head shaved with a number #1 or #2 clip for the last 25 yrs, no man bun over here - lol

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Like many looks, you can get away with it a lot more effectively if you are a bad motherfucker to begin with. See Opie from Sons of Anarchy:

lolz
    I am yet to see any one pull the man bun off.
    ever.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    jammy said:

:oh_snap:

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    yuichi said:
    I still see dudes from time to time, being sloppy with their fashion and lifestyle...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw 2 top knots at Safeway yesterday.
    Yoga class must have just let out.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts

^ turns out this was staged but entertaining none the less.

I agree with their stance, knots are lame buns okay.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    skel said:

Or one of the DnB / Junglist crowd.

Not me! 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    skel said:

Not me! 

DuttyBab.  Deffo.
    Duderonomy

Jimster said:
    skel said:

Not me! 

DuttyBab.  Deffo.
    He would've had to have grown it out since we met him in Lahndon though - vaguely remember the dude as being not that Dutty after all, maybe a grade 2?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    RAJ said:

Hey Raj,

It seems that more effeminate looks for men are in style right now. Apparently, the 'manly man' is so 1990s. ;-)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    I never understood why straight women like the skinny androgynous look on men. It is beyond me me how dudes like Prince, Rick James or Michael Jackson could ever become sex symbols. For some reason there are very few men who like androgynous looking women with facial hair, no titties, a broad back, narrow hips and a baldhead...

I never understood why straight women like the skinny androgynous look on men. It is beyond me me how dudes like Prince, Rick James or Michael Jackson could ever become sex symbols. 

Moves matter.