New Tame Impala album "Currents"--thoughts?

CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
edited July 2015 in Strut Central
Curious to hear the struts opinion on the new Tame Impala. I'm still undecided about it. Largely absent are the heavy drums and guitars from the last two albums, replaced by a lot more synths, and programmed beats. There are a few good pop songs in there I suppose. A few of the songs remind me of Tears For Fears (!!!). Thoughts on it?

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I love this band, but Lonerism was a step down from InnerSpeaker and I fear this new album is another step down.
    Pond though? Yes.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I'm disappointed. Not enough guitar. There's a few good tracks but mostly it's below average The Cars Who's Gonna Drive You Home meets The Weeknd synth styled production. I'm not buying the hype for this one.

• Just anotherband. It's a mystery why they have hipster cred.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Let It Happen" is a definite hit. Get ready for a bunch of dance remixes. "Eventually" is great, too; more of the old sound.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    After a few more listens the past few days, I think the album will eventually go in my "sell" pile. "Innerspeaker" was great, and "Lonerism" was solid, but I don't know about this one. When he goes into the falsetto on the track "Yes I'm Changing", it's definitely cringe-worthy. The lyrics are pretty corny on a few of the songs, and he really seems to be trying to reach the mainstream on this one. I really miss the drums that he had on the previous two albums. I read in an interview recently that he says he's just as influenced by Brittney Spears as he is by The Beatles, which I guess should say a lot about where he's at...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    9 years ago he sounded like this:

Now he sounds like this:

I give him mad props for evolving. Sonically the album is very unique, and his influences are much less obvious. He's growing as an artist, but the pop sensibilities that he's moving towards is where people are a little thrown off.

However it makes perfect sense to me. I think you all have to realize how much money pop music makes. I'm pretty sure that Britney Spears music makes more money than Dungen ever made. I've seen Tame Impala live this year and last year, and I can tell you that personally his live music pales in comparison to his albums.

However visually the live show was just below the Flaming Lips. Changing his sound up is going to make him and his crew much more money and allow them to tour in much bigger arenas then they were before. Right now he's a total kid in a candy shop enjoying life, and he's still a sonic whiz kid in the studio. Having fun, and trying new things. He's trying to get his name up in the Pop music realm, and get off of the rock radio stations.

Can you blame him? Do you think the Rock audiences were fully embracing their music?

I don't mind his transformation. If anything he's been trying to figure out his musical identity. Just like any young musician. If the music is good, and this new album isn't necessarily bad. Just not as good as what he did on the last two stellar albums.

You know what this new album reminds me of? Todd Rundgren.

- spidey

Maybe people would've like this album better if he would've used the moniker "Odd Yungen".

- D

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    I just listened to this and My Morning Jacket's latest and they seem a bit similar, in terms of adding synths and more pop production overall. Or at least it sounds like Tame Impala dude is going off in the same direction Jim James went when he tried to have a poppier sound. Maybe this is what happens now when the indie dudes get a big contract and access to more toys or something? I don't know, but I liked My Morning Jacket better when they were doing the country-rock thing and I liked Tame Impala better when they sounded like Dungen.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

However it makes perfect sense to me. I think you all have to realize how much money pop music makes. I'm pretty sure that Britney Spears music makes more money than Dungen ever made.

And I'm pretty sure the chief of a wall street investment bank makes more than Britney, so if dollars is what dude is aiming for perhaps he should get on the intern program at Goldman Sachs.

I can never hear this story about chasing cash through music being an end goal. No one ever picked up a guitar with that as the prime driver.

So once dudes are all and only about payout, I'm out.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ^^^^^^ The two are not mutually exclusive. You can present a poppier angle of your own sound, without totally compromising your artistic vision. Just like Diplo!

ppadilha said:
    I just listened to this and My Morning Jacket's latest and they seem a bit similar, in terms of adding synths and more pop production overall. Or at least it sounds like Tame Impala dude is going off in the same direction Jim James went when he tried to have a poppier sound. Maybe this is what happens now when the indie dudes get a big contract and access to more toys or something? I don't know, but I liked My Morning Jacket better when they were doing the country-rock thing and I liked Tame Impala better when they sounded like Dungen.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra also just gave up psych rock and went in a more pop direction. To much more success in my opinion:

- spidey

Anyone notice an Aussie/New Zealand US takeover in the last few years?

I do give him props for trying something different, I'm all for experimentation in music. I guess I just don't like the direction he's going in--that's the bottom line. In thinking about past rock/pop groups that I've liked/respected, like Radiohead and Blur, for example, I didn't like every direction they've veered off into with each album, but I had respect for it and could understand and appreciate what they were trying to accomplish. I'm realizing that his current influences don't mesh with what I like in music at all, and I guess that's why it doesn't click for me.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Casteneda said:
    I do give him props for trying something different, I'm all for experimentation in music.

The previous two albums were much more original. If anything he's fallen back to the same 80s synth pop beats that a billion people are doing. Shit sounds like a ten year old Scissor Sisters album in places.

cai said:
    Casteneda said:
    I do give him props for trying something different, I'm all for experimentation in music.

The previous two albums were much more original. If anything he's fallen back to the same 80s synth pop beats that a billion people are doing. Shit sounds like a ten year old Scissor Sisters album in places.

No, you're right on this. What I meant was that he was trying something different for him compared to his last two albums, but overall it sounds not so original.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    white_tea said:
    ^^^^^^ The two are not mutually exclusive. You can present a poppier angle of your own sound, without totally compromising your artistic vision. Just like Diplo!

As ever, the dynamic between artistic integrity and commercial necessity is intriguing.
    I recall Def Leppard, back in the heady days when NWOBHM really was new, ditching that bludgeon riffola warts 'n all approach and making that sanitised, slick and inoffensive album with 'Hello America' on it.
    A conscious grab at the dollar, definitely NOT 'artistic progression', it was sickening to me and they got duly abandoned.
    Of course they cared not, and made that paper.
    On the other hand, the lad from Talk Talk moved in the opposite direction. Not my cup of tea, but he will always have my admiration for the retention of freedom of artistic expression. But he did not get my dollar.

Now I like to view this dilemma through the prism of an imagined meeting between Rupert Holmes and his A&R man.

Man: Rupert, loving this song, we wanna release it as the single. That Pina Colada song.

Rupert: it's called 'Escape'.

Man: whoa hold on, Rupie. The hook is Pina Colada. That's what everyone will remember. Gotta be called The Pina Colada song.

Rupert: but you don't understand, it's all about one man's relationship with himself and his woman, and how they both need to escape the banality of their lives.

Man: ok Rupe, how about we call it The Pina Colada Song, and put Escape in brackets after?

Rupert: reverse that and we can deal.

Man: ok, done. Now about this bar called O'Grady's. My boy Pat has a bar uptown called O'Malley's and if you can change the word, you and me Rupie, free beers for life. Nahmsayin'?

Rupert: uh.....yes.

There's always a happy medium.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    cai said:
    Scissor Sisters

YES. Couldn't put my finger on it.

Thing that leaves me cold about the whole faux-80s sound is that it seems to be a contrived effort, by all folls involved. I am left thinking it's not where they are truly at, musically. I guess there were one or two who kicked it off, who genuinely loved the sound and did it well, but there's just too much of it around now.

It was the same with the retro Ronson/Winehouse sound from years gone by, which worked perfectly for Amy's voice and doomsday lyrics, but sounded forced once the sound had become "Hot" and everyone was dickriding it.

I agree about it being brave to go somewhere else artistically, but the direction isn't groundbreaking if the sound is already being done elsewhere. I mean, Miles going electric is the kind of move that really takes an artist somewhere else.

Product placement in music. As long as it's subtle, why not?

Janis Joplin was onto a good thing with Mercedes. Wait, that wasn't so subtle.
    Prince gets to shop for free at the Five and Dime.
    Redman should at least expect to get hooked up with fries por vida at KFC for that D'Angelo jernt.
    Paul Weller should have an infinite Oyster card.
    Bold and grand move by Spandau Ballet who alas failed to corner the commodities market but still get blessed everytime there is an Olympics.

etc.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I like 'Cause I'm a Man

I didn't care for the rest