Credit for remaking a hiphop track?

jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
edited July 2015 in Strut Central
A few years back i did a remake of a popular indie hiphop track simply because i loved the instrumental and it didn't exist. It still doesn't to my knowledge. Anyway, since i put it on youtube i noticed that another indie rapper used my instrumental off youtube for a mixtape.

Now what i want to know is if it's my place to be claiming credit for remaking someone else's beat?

Kinda confusing...

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    honestly um not quite sure how this works either....I got my "inspiration" on one day and made an instrumental for BDP's Gimme Dat posted it on youtubes and forgot about it really..

I don't think its ever came up in someone's mix before, but I am curious how that whole thing works also, not that I overly care if someone were to use it, but you should give credit where it is due..

I know Jo released that 12' of LL Instrumentals a year ago or so, not sure what hoops you'd have to jump through to make that happen and has more "recreated" instrumentals on his bandcamp page..

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    honestly um not quite sure how this works either....I got my "inspiration" on one day and made an instrumental for BDP's Gimme Dat posted it on youtubes and forgot about it really..

I don't think its ever came up in someone's mix before, but I am curious how that whole thing works also, not that I overly care if someone were to use it, but you should give credit where it is due..

I know Jo released that 12' of LL Instrumentals a year ago or so, not sure what hoops you'd have to jump through to make that happen and has more "recreated" instrumentals on his bandcamp page..

Jorun probably went about it the right way by heavily branding what he did with his already established name and 'Instrumentals You Never Got' or whatever all over it. Not that it would stop people using them off youtube for a mixtape.
    Nice remake by the way!