recommend box sets

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I have a 30% off coupon from Borders, and I'm thinking about making it worth my while. Here's what I already have:Nuggets 1 & 2Stax 1Doo Wop 1Velvet UndergroundAyler/Holy GhostColtrane European ToursGoodbye Babylon

Comments

• I just got 'Love Is the Song We Sing' which is kind of a San Francisco "Nuggets". Fantastic set with a great book.

• Coltrane at the Village Vanguard '61

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    That Sly & TFS set is a must.

• That Sly & TFS set is a must.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Some that I really like (with links):

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    CD boxed sets represent everything I hate about the post CD era of recorded music. It makes me laugh when they try SO hard to make CDs cool and collectible with this ridiculous packaging. LOL at that Ray Charles "record player style" shit. Not that Ray Charles' Atlantic sides aren't very important.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    CD boxed sets represent everything I hate about the post CD era of recorded music. It makes me laugh when they try SO hard to make CDs cool and collectible with this ridiculous packaging. LOL at that Ray Charles "record player style" shit. Not that Ray Charles' Atlantic sides aren't very important.

Yes, the record player is straight foolishness--I'm not sure who that would actually appeal to--but that's the package that the music comes in, and the music is great.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Yes, the record player is straight foolishness--I'm not sure who that would actually appeal to--but that's the package that the music comes in, and the music is great.

Do all of those outtakes make it worth it? I think those recordings were pretty straightforward. It's not like you're getting insight into how layers were built (i.e., Pet Sounds or those electric Miles boxes). Also, It's not like the ATL records are hard to find.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Point well taken. But you gotta give it up for that hat box the Girl Group set is in. That's a girlfriend present if there ever was one. Rhino's steez is gimmicky to the extreme, but it is always done with enthusiasm and care.

• I just got 'Love Is the Song We Sing' which is kind of a San Francisco "Nuggets".

Yeah, except that it doesn't focus on garage-rock as much. Still a really good set, though, ESPECIALLY that booklet!

• I just got 'Love Is the Song We Sing' which is kind of a San Francisco "Nuggets".

Yeah, except that it doesn't focus on garage-rock as much. Still a really good set, though, ESPECIALLY that booklet!

That book is incredible. I scored my copy off of Amazon for like half of what I'd seen it for in the store.
    I thought the garage stuff was pretty well represented considering what most people's conception of San Franscisco rock is. That said, they definitely could have cut back on well known (and easily available) stuff and made room for some more fuzz.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    one of the few box sets i own is the Johnny Cash (love + god + murder). Apparently the man himself selected the songs. good box set, most of the hits and i like the way it is formatted (i.e. a specific theme for each CD).

back in the days..i also always heard a lot of good things about these Capitan Beefheart & Magnetic Field sets.

That book is incredible. I scored my copy off of Amazon for like half of what I'd seen it for in the store.
    I thought the garage stuff was pretty well represented considering what most people's conception of San Franscisco rock is. That said, they definitely could have cut back on well known (and easily available) stuff and made room for some more fuzz.

That said, I'm surprised there were no Golliwogs or Creedence songs on the box, which I think is more a case of last-minute licensing than any oversight on Rhino's part.

And you're right, while I thought it was extremely misleading for Rhino to use the term Nuggets on the cover, the garagier-type material is well-represented.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

That said, I'm surprised there were no Golliwogs or Creedence songs on the box, which I think is more a case of last-minute licensing than any oversight on Rhino's part.

They worked on that box for like two years. Creedence was on the list but Fogerty wouldn't sign off. Golliwogs too.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The Zombies one is really good... dunno if it's still in print or not though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I just got 'Love Is the Song We Sing' which is kind of a San Francisco "Nuggets".

Yeah, I was gonna say, I co-sign the recommendation,
    but check Amazon before you buy it at Borders, coupon
    or no coupon - I bought it as a gift for someone from
    Amazon last week and it was only $30, half the MSRP!

Yeah, I was gonna say, I co-sign the recommendation,
    but check Amazon before you buy it at Borders, coupon
    or no coupon - I bought it as a gift for someone from
    Amazon last week and it was only $30, half the MSRP!

I had seen it a few days before at Borders for something like $64.99 with a 20% off sticker, which was actually cheaper than I'd seen it elsewhere. I followed a link from the New York Times to the Amazon listing and couldn't believe that they were selling it so cheaply. Definitely the (non-vinyl) buy of the year.

• Some that I really like (with links):

YES!

Also, if I wasn't broke right now:

and

• Coltrane at the Village Vanguard '61

oh good call but I actually have that one too, pretty much the greatest music ever recorded IMO.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Coltrane at the Village Vanguard '61

oh good call but I actually have that one too, pretty much the greatest music ever recorded IMO.

As mentioned on the Waxidermy board, the Scream Loud! Fenton Set is pretty spectacular. It's an impressively complete survey of the West Michigan 60s rock scene. Many face melters contained within (Aardvarks, Mussies, Fugitives, Black Watch, Jujus, Blues Company, etc.)

• is pretty outstanding.

• a friend of mine has this box set of 7" records, its not bad.

• big seconds on these...

• Get the Miles Davis - "Complete On The Corner Sessions (72-75)" on 6 CD??s in a metal box...

That one is really

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    What are you enjoying more recently? I'm more interested in vinyl related sets... LP's or 45's.

I see this set was re-released with color 45s: http://turntablelab.com/products/rhino-what-it-is-funky-soul-and-grooves-7-vinyl-boxset

Good music nonetheless to jumpstart a Timmy's 45 collection. The un-colored set is still available on eBay.