Favorite Record Cleaning Brush?

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited February 2015 in Strut Central
I just noticed my fancy schmancy carbon fiber recording cleaning brush is worn down to the nubbin.

I never liked it as much as the discwasher brush. But the audiophile store that sold it to me assured me that a discwasher brush would ruin my records, and this one would make them sound better than new.

What are people using.

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I use the regular old Audioquest carbon fiber brush but if I needed to replace it I might give the Hunt brush a try. Seems like it combines the Discwasher and CF styles.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Carbon-Fiber-Record-Brush/dp/B001A9ST2G

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I use a carbon fiber brush just like the picture above for regular use. I think mine is sleeve city brand. When I first get records, they go through a VPI vacuum cleaner before they get sleeved if they are dirty.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I have a Discwasher I use most, it's like an old friend. Unless you've got serious grit on the wax I can't see it damaging it. I have a Clear Audio bristle one too that seems to work.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    discwasher --> microfiber --> tshirt

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I found this brush through the Steve Hoffman forum.
    I love it and recommend it. Better than the similar MoFi one I think.

His web site looked bad in 1998 and has not been updated.

Had to call him on the phone, which led to a 60 minute lecture on the proper way to clean a record and why I can never get a record clean using my Nitty Gritty machine.
    One of his theories is that the vinyl is sprayed with "release solution" before being stamped. The solution allows the vinyl to separate from the stamper. It is this solution that makes your records sound bad. He has the only cleaner that can get the solution off your records.
    I just bought the brush.
    http://www.discdoc.com/p14.html

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    He said hunt brush.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Anyone else use the pfan stat fluid? I just use that and a standard dishwasher brush and I've been happy. Had a total beater show up from Mexico and it amazingly came back to life. I credit the fluid.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    One of his theories is that the vinyl is sprayed with "release solution" before being stamped.

Having watched records being pressed at several plants and seeing footage of several more, I can assure you this is complete bullshit.