Women's World Cup

Soul ZillaSoul Zilla 153 Posts
edited July 2015 in Strut Central
Congrats ladies!! What an exciting game, I won $100 from a dude at work that said the game would be decided on a one point margin. It had all the signs of being a blowout and it did. Carli Lloyd is an honorary man, she has giant balls with that midfield strike. It was incredible live but on rewatch-even better- she touched it twice, a touch from a pass to control it, then a strike after a split second glance to find the keeper at the edge of the box. Glorious. Incredible. A hat trick within in 16 minutes. Is that a record? Insanity.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Very high quality of play by the US women. That first corner goal was a thing of beauty. But outside of Lloyd's 54 yard score, my favorite play goes to Morgan Brian with the perfect rebound assist to Tobin Heath.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    You are more easily entertained than I am. 4-0 after 20 minutes is a bummer.

I enjoyed most of the games I saw. The variety in styles of the women's game is interesting--seems like way more philosophies than the men.

The refereeing seemed weak. Lots of missed stuff and makeup calls. I wish they coul've played on grass too.

It's big time, though: a women's sport that's finally achieved the psychopathic desire to win of so many men's sports! Be proud! Hope Solo's so good we'll overlook her repeated violent behavior, just like we would a man. Progress.

And so many good haircuts.

That England ending was mega English, remarkable.

And I will come clean: definitely had a dirty old man moment watching France. Or was that Australia? Maybe Sweden. Felt creepy for a minute, then realized, "yeah. They're 20 year old pro athletes. They're gonna be hawt stuff." I am okay with that.

I will watch the next one. Especially if the games start at 4pm again.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So glad people are interested.
    Too bad thread didn't start a few weeks ago.

Carli Lloyd, respect.

The announcers thought the whole US team was about Alex Morgan.
    Best I can tell they were not even aware of Megan Rapino's greatness.
    Much less Carli Lloyd's.

Got to watch every college game of Megan and Rachel Rapino. Sadly they both missed most of their college games because of knee injuries. Also Christine Sinclair, Sophie Shmidt (Canada where are you?) Daniel Foxhoven.

I love Keepers! They are so tough. DoD are you with me?
    Did you see the Chinese keeper (Wang Fei?) kiss the upright after a save.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

That England ending was mega English, remarkable.

LOL

• Awesome World Cup. The play of team USA just kept getting better each match and after defeating Germany I knew they had it. Those frauleins on the German squad played a rough brand of ball and I was surprised to see England match them in the gangsta department for third place. France played an amazing cup and their style was a thing of beauty. Was bummed when Germany bumped em off as France had won every facet of that match yet that chica Sauce-Itch got the penalty to send it into OT. I also agree with the comment on the officiating - horrendous. I'm sure it's not an easy gig but jesus there were so many missed calls. Anyway team USA peaked when it mattered and played an excellent tourney.

• Also had no idea that Caitlin Jenner was the keeper for Germany.

• It was definitely an enjoyable World Cup.

I don't think I saw one Throw-In that wasn't foul throw though.

Nice to see Football with no diving/play-acting.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    It was definitely an enjoyable World Cup.
    I don't think I saw one Throw-In that wasn't foul throw though.

Perhaps make the men play on turf, to see if it deters the diving....

I was very impressed with the WWC, much more so from hearing about how Non-US countries finally started to take interest (I see you England). I do hope that carries forward to next year's olympics.

FIFA still gets the bozack though....playing on turf is just ridiculous...and the seeding after the Group Stage was very questionable....France definitely got the short end of the stick in that regard (and for those that don't think that matters, they easily lost out on much needed/deserved prize money by having to play Germany so early on....)

Cheers to US --- after the group stage I was doubting they would win, but seeing them start to come together against China just proved how deep that squad was.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:

Wait, what?
    You didn't see French cutie dive for a penalty in the QF??!?
    Shit was grotesque.