Metallica

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
edited June 2015 in Strut Central
Not my lane since the Cliff Burton days, but is anything recent worth checking?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

Black album is a classic. Other than that ... no.

Watch their "Some Kind of Monster" Documentary. HEAD. CASES.

Oh... check their collaboration album with Lou Reed (!!??) for comedic / bizarro purposes.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    RAJ said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Watch their "Some Kind of Monster" Documentary. HEAD. CASES.

Yeah, watch that. It's amazing and cringey and quotable and ridiculous.

Musically, though? Nah. When they fell off, they fell off hard. This is pretty funny, though: "Master of Puppets" with the shitty "St. Anger" snare drum overdubbed.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    cliff took it with him

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    kala said:
    cliff took it with him

He left a little of the attitude and feel for these ones, but it was all gone by the "Black Album" and replaced by Bob Rock:

It's funny, "Damage INC" came on the radio the other day, and turned it up to 11 just like when I was 14. And when it was over, all I could think about was how hard they fell the fuck off.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    They are good metal albums up to (possibly including depending on your taste) the black album. That said I haven't listened to any of their albums since about 1992.

I'm on a massive nostalgia kick lately, re-listening to albums I loved in my teens (mothers milk, ritual de lo habitual etc) so might have to dig up some Metallica.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Nothing past the black album.
    That Lou Reed collaboration was so godamn awful.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I listen to half of that more recent covers album more every once in a while. They're kinda acting like Metallica on it but they can pull that off. My brother told me to never listen past And Justice For All and I've done pretty well heeding this warning.
    Every couple years I hear "dude it's like old Metallica (or Maiden)." But it's not. It can't be, right?

I always balk at watching the doc. I did see the weird movie they made a couple years ago...the fake concert movie with a scripted side story? Whoa. They seem really DISCONNECTED

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    pkny said:
    kala said:
    cliff took it with him

Totally forgot about this one. Their cover of Misfits' Last Caress / Green Hell is amazing.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    "Some Kind Of Monster" is so nuts, hard to believe they even allowed it to come out. Don't deny yourself the experience.

Can't listen to them past "Justice" personally. Beyond the fact that the songs just aren't good, Lars isn't a very good drummer for a thrash band and James vocals have devolved into a total parody.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    They seem really DISCONNECTED

Exactly. And the talk of the covers they've done reminded me: all of the ones they've done post-"Black Album" I've heard sound more produced that the Cliff-era records. They were much better when they didn't 'think too much' and just let it fly, like this:

Their new album will most likely take 5 years to finish, and be an over-thought-out turd. Can't front, there were some decent moments on "Death Magnetic", but they set the bar pretty high with their pre-"Black Album" stuff.

The first sign for me of them falling off was Lars talking about hearing "Dr. Feelgood" and wanting an album that had production like that.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I ask T3h Strut because, like, can I still judge what is good metal and what is bad metal as a 40-something? I still like to hear a foll shred, any genre, but are they out of fresh ideas? Should they shun fresh ideas to, y'know, keep it real? Are they U2? I was aware of the documentary and I hoped it wasn't like Spinal Tap for rillz but it sounds exactly that, by design even.

I doubt now I will get the same buzz from it as I did when I was a raging teenager. Which is why the genre as a whole has slipped off my radar. But I was happy to hear Robert Trujillo had the gig and maybe he's put a different slant on it now. Or maybe he done pissed in the gene pool of "Official" Metallica product? Regardless of where they are at, he's put the coin to good use:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallicas-robert-trujillo-how-i-helped-recover-pastorius-infamous-bass-of-doom/

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Totally forgot about this one. Their cover of Misfits' Last Caress / Green Hell is amazing.

See, that's the good stuff right there. Got a little Bay Area Thrash sound to it. Death Angel and dem.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    that cover is great as is most of garage days revisited

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Black album was not good. A song about the sandman, really?

Cliff era classic
    Garage days great
    Justice not bad
    After that fell off
    Monster doc is spinal tap amazing. Watching them trying to get in touch with their feelings is funny even though they probably really did need it.

You aren't missing anything. I respect them and understand they kept trying different things because that's what artists do but it just didn't work for me.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    volumen said:
    Black album was not good. A song about the sandman, really?

Jeff Hanneman once told Hetfield "We're off to wimpy lyric land"

That had to hurt

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    do yourself a favor and watch Some Kind of Monster. It's the only worthwhile thing the band has done in last 20+ years.