Website idea (record related)

mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
edited June 2015 in Strut Central
Picked up this Juan Pablo Torres album today ( this banger on it ) it's kinda strange album so was looking for some back story and couldn't find anything on the web, allmusic covers some basics on the artist but not on this album. I often see the musicians or relatives of, pop up on youtube comments with a bit of an insight to the recording or artist and thought it would be sweet to have a website or a community that people and players could post stories and anecdotes about records, give a bigger picture to them. Does something like this exist and i'm missing it or has it been tried?

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    This sounds like an awesome idea!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Maybe Danno will chime in. I know he had tons of fun with the Cuban government getting his comps done.

But from personal trips to Cuba. Finding any of the good Juan Pablo Torres lp's in decent condition is tough. There was a time when it wasn't... But not any longer.

A personal fav of mine...

http://i.imgur.com/ymseRi1.jpg

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    JPT was a hugely popular Cuban musician. He recorded lots of albums right into the 90s. These are very common records in Cuba and, relatively, abroad. As DOR noted, it's rare to find one in Cuba that isn't skated like an ice rink. "Rompe Cocorico" from this album was big in the late 90s rare groove scene in Toronto and Europe. The aesthetic is typical of Cuba from that period, which was doing its own thing musically. All of JPT's albums from this period have a similar sound.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    DOR said:

A personal fav of mine...

http://i.imgur.com/ymseRi1.jpg

The store had that one too, might have to check back in

Danno3000 said:
    JPT was a hugely popular Cuban musician. He recorded lots of albums right into the 90s. These are very common records in Cuba and, relatively, abroad. As DOR noted, it's rare to find one in Cuba that isn't skated like an ice rink. "Rompe Cocorico" from this album was big in the late 90s rare groove scene in Toronto and Europe. The aesthetic is typical of Cuba from that period, which was doing its own thing musically. All of JPT's albums from this period have a similar sound.

Nice one Danno, its a totally unique sound, love it. Any other artist in this vein i can dig in a bit more? You made some comps i can check?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Si Para Usted 1 & 2

Essential!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    parallax said:
    Si Para Usted 1 & 2

Essential!

@mickalphabet: are you still in Brazil? You found that JPT around here?

Sim, still here, someone dumped a pile of cuban stuff in a local store, that was the pick of the lot tbh but gonna give the one DOR recommended another listen

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Love this JPT track, "Quema":

Also this one has the cool disco funk track "Cacao" (not on youtube apparently)

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    You should definitely get Super Son if it's at a good price. KILLER album. I like Con Todos... slightly more, but that's partly just because its version of "El Manicero" is my favorite version of that tune of all time. and that's one of my absolute favorite compositions.

i was lucky enough to pick up both of them (along with some other gems) on a trip to Havana back in 2011. they're in pretty decent condition – not minty by any means but definitely not rinked.

i have major regrets of not buying tons more records on that trip and bringing a box home. i found them at a store that had loads of great cuban funk records, multiple copies of many of them. owner was asking only $5 for each of them too. it was one of the last days of our trip, though, and we only had a little bit of cash left, with no way to get any more money (american embargo related). i could only spend like $50 or $60 so that we could still eat/sleep/get to the airport etc before we left. i probably could've gotten 100 amazing albums from this guy, easy, if i had had the cash available....