Where is this field of yours?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    This is a tet

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    long time want scratched off the list
    Reynaldo82

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    Records from the past couple of months, most all field. Had no idea just how amazing the N Davis was... top jazz. Same with the Tough Tenors LP, the Martino Lp, total unknowns to me until now.

Wow, dude... nice work. I need to step out my front door into the field more often.

I love that DeJohnette Complex.

Is Buddy Rich any good at playing the dholak?

pcmr said:
    long time want scratched off the list

Beauty! Where did you find it?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    RAJ said:
    meistromoco said:
    RAJ said:
    P.S. Start poasting some finds people. If I can do it... you can two!

What's that Charles Earland "Leaving This Planet" with the white cover? Different than the LP version?

It's the promo 12" to the title track. I haven't even listened to it yet.

:oof:

Pretty sure that's the reissue from 2008 or 2009ish. I don't think Leaving this Planet was released on 12" in it's time. Nice release either way.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    All winners.

The JL Hooker is better than some of his others.
    If I recall he has Panama Francis on drums and maybe some other jazz players on that one.

Thanks! I've been on a JL Hooker buying tear as of late. Can't believe I'm just now getting to hear some of this stuff. So good!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There are so many JL Hooker's.
    All of them are JLH, so all worth while.
    Some I like more than others I have had:
    On Impulse there is Serves You Right To Suffer

Bluesway Kabuki Wuki

ABC Free Chicken and Beer - This one is a little funky and sounds like rock musicians. The band is not credited but Howard Roberts, Clifford Coulter, Joe Cocker, Sugarcane Harris are on it. I bet some of Cocker's band are on there too.

United Artist Coast To Coast Blues Band - This one is my favorite, historic recordings, no band, mostly his guitar, voice and amplified foot stomps.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    ketan said:

You know, Buddy isn't bad on this one simply because he doesn't insist on taking center stage. But Allah Rakha is a truly astounding drummer: he has to be heard to be believed.

LoopDreams said:
    ketan said:

You know, Buddy isn't bad on this one simply because he doesn't insist on taking center stage. But Allah Rakha is a truly astounding drummer: he has to be heard to be believed.

I saw him too!

It's usually middle aged/older musicians who are the real masters in that field because it's a mixture of dexterity and feel. Then again, I just recently saw a student of Zakir Hussein's play (and Zakir was a student of Alla Rakha) with another younger sitar player, and they were both phenomenal.

:slow burner"

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    not quite spring down here since we're entering the rainy winter, but these are some recent finds:

Elba Ramalho - Ave de Prata - her fist LP, has some funky tunes like Filho das Indias
    Los Tropicalientes - Vol. 7 - cheesy instrumental versions of pop songs, but has a nice version of Timmy Thomas' Why Can't We Live Together
    Alceu Valença - Vivo! nice live album from early in his career
    Originais do Samba - s/t 1969 - one of their early LPs, has the classic Cadê Tereza and the nice Canto Chorado

a few others not pictured:
    Papete - Agua de Côco
    Doris Monteiro's 1970 LP
    Marilia Medalha - Caminhada - has songs like Agua Escondida

I've had much better luck in the 7" department lately though:

Trio Nordestino - Cuidado com as coisas/Ja faz tempo, não lhe vejo
    Elza Soares - Bahia de todos os santos/Bloco de sujo and Toque balanço moço/De amor ou paz
    Elizeth Cardoso - Cuica e viola/Igual a flor and the one with a dope version of Capoeira Três
    Elias de Lima - Despacho - great forró/macumba tune
    Copa 7 - Copa 7 no samba/Sabadá
    Eduardo Araújo - Esteira de Vime - dope funk/boogie tune
    Diana e Ed Wilson - Carinhoso
    Noriel Vilela - Só o Ome/Peço licença
    Roberto Carlos - Não vou ficar
    Deny e Dino - Pare, pare, pare
    Doris Monteiro - De noite na cama
    Paulo Diniz - Viva maria/Rosa da fonte - two of the best tracks off his 1971 LP
    Zé Catimba - Oxumaré, a lenda do arco-iris
    Gazineo - Falsa Cabrocha/Liso, leso e louco
    Saravá Mamãe Oxum - afro-brazilian prayer songs
    Léa Betine - Yemanjá No. 1 - weird versions of afro-brazilian songs with cheesy keyboards?
    Claudette Soares - Shirley Sexy
    Elizio de Buzios - Tamanqueiro - classique

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    MC5 was a dollarbin thrift store find

sealed mailbox finds

billbradley said:

Yeah, and that Carly Simon joint too

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Some recent eBay purchases (DON"T HATT)
    Attached files

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    No hate but;
    "+ You buy 50 mediocre $2 records but have sticker shock over a $100 end to end burner"

I can understand all those but the Cars.
    Was it the sticker over her face that made paying shipping worth while, or do you no longer leave the house?

LaserWolf said:
    No hate but;
    "+ You buy 50 mediocre $2 records but have sticker shock over a $100 end to end burner"

I can understand all those but the Cars.
    Was it the sticker over her face that made paying shipping worth while, or do you no longer leave the house?

I'm just not seeing a clean copy of this record in shrink with a Caldor sticker on it.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    have been on a roll picking up lots of good stuff in the last couple months, but too lazy to take photos of them all... here are some highlights of the last 3 weeks though.

especially excited about the Hypertension - Got This Feelin' 12, which i somehow managed to snag off ebay for $32 in vg+ condition...

the Tim Maia LP is *really* underrated, imo. side A is all bouncy 80s funk, side B is tasty modern soul.

Perspective is the first record in the "Follies Bazaar" series from University of Rhode Island. the whole series is cool psych folk/rock, and this is one of the best (I still need Perspective 2 & Oh My God They Baked His Face). got it at a good price in Providence.

Cane River Soundtrack is chock full of top New Orleans musicians, but is mostly cheesy. 2 great modern soul tracks on the B side though.

Soca Ninja Turtles is....Soca Ninja Turtles

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    ppadilha said:

Elba Ramalho - Ave de Prata - her fist LP, has some funky tunes like Filho das Indias

i really like that track, thanks for posting. any relation to Zé Ramalho by some chance? know if her other albums have any heat on them?

willie_fugal said:
    ppadilha said:

i really like that track, thanks for posting. any relation to Zé Ramalho by some chance? know if her other albums have any heat on them?

apparenlty she and Zé Ramalho are cousins? I always thought they had been married at some point. I think her 2nd LP has some good tracks on it, but I'm not totally sure. This first one has Geraldo Azevedo doing arrangements (I think that's what he's credited for on there). I've decided to start picking her records up since they're super easy to find and there was a lot of interesting stuff being recorded by musicians from the north/northeast in the late 70s/early 80s. I always associate her more with carnaval though, and she has a lot of super manic forró/frevo tracks that get to be too much, what with her crazy voice and all.

just to add: I couldn't find Eduardo Araujo's Esteira de Vime to link to, but it's a great tune in the same vein as that Elba Ramalho one.

crabmongerfunk said:

Hysear Don Walker!

Damn you James Gang!
    Attached files

crabmongerfunk said:

Dang, Sweet Charles! OG, I'm assuming?

• clean og. met sweet charles after a maceo show yeaes ago, he ended up hanging out "and hustlin" with us for a bit, spent the whole night macking on one of our lady friends. my pal gave him a chunk of hash that sweet charles recieved as if he was being presented with expensive jewlery, he bowed his head and clutched it, thanking my friend profusely, explaining that he lived in amsterdam etc...said when he was growing up, he used to play with hendrix in garage bands which i believe. in later years, as i delved into the jb catalogue, i learned what an amazing bass player he really is, too bad he didn't focus on that more...he also played very funky clavinette,

crabmongerfunk said:
    clean og. met sweet charles after a maceo show yeaes ago, he ended up hanging out "and hustlin" with us for a bit, spent the whole night macking on one of our lady friends. my pal gave him a chunk of hash that sweet charles recieved as if he was being presented with expensive jewlery, he bowed his head and clutched it, thanking my friend profusely, explaining that he lived in amsterdam etc...said when he was growing up, he used to play with hendrix in garage bands which i believe. in later years, as i delved into the jb catalogue, i learned what an amazing bass player he really is, too bad he didn't focus on that more...he also played very funky clavinette,

Ha! That's awesome.

some decent pulls yesterday:

Cucal Legal novela stk - the funky theme is by Chico Batera, has an Azymuth track on there too
    Ana Mazzotti - it's just the back half of the gatefold, but dude gave me 2 slightly beat copies of the record with it for $10, so I guess it evens out?
    Evinha - Cartão Postal - thought I'd do the grip & flip on this one but songs like Espera Pra Ver are making me want to keep it
    Dom & Ravel - s/t 1974 - pretty cheesy
    Apocallypsis - random early 70s garage comp with Peruvian and Euroman tracks????
    The Uniques - brazilian issue of their 1967 LP, has decent cover of 96 Tears and some other garage tunes
    JB de Carvalho - Oxossi Pena Branca - afro-brazilian religious music
    Mac Rybell - brazilian psych, more on the lighter/folkier side
    Aquelarre - Siesta - Argentinian prog/psych

plus Os Brasas 7" with A Distância and Mulher Rendeira

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts

Not bad HPB $1s.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    i have found so much sick shit this spring /summer i am beside myself laughing that this much gear is still popping up in the 2 0 1 5
    blessed! and real lazy to poast pics

crab, was back in van last week but didn't have time to scoot over to main to check neptoon and those other spots you recommended (thanks, though). beatstreet/vinyl/selectors were around the corner from me, so i did them in a couple of hours on day. most of these were $1-5, but the Paranoid London was way too much (but sooo good) and the Sufjan was "new retail". that Homeless Derelix 12" is tight.

some other finds from the past month or so:

Elizabeth - Quero Ver de Perto - jovem guarda, but she has good songs like Vulcão and Vou Falar-lhe Francamente
    Bebeto - Esperanças Mil - features the dope jam Princesa Negra de Angola
    Hyldon - Nossa Historia de Amor - great record, love Estão Dizendo Por Aí
    Vanusa 1969 - long time want, has Atomico Platonico and Hey Joe, among others
    As Exorcistas - crazy psych/glam record, reminds me of mid-70s Rita Lee
    Vanusa 1973 - not all that good tbh, but has this Sabbath Bloody Sabbath recorded before Sabbath Bloody Sabbath track
    Os Devaneios - dope samba/samba rock LP, chock full of jams like Embalo Diferente
    Aquarius Band - 60s cover band, this one has a decent version of Cissy Strut
    Antonio Carlos & Jocafi - Elas por elas - not their most stellar LP, but has some decent songs
    Tom & Dito 1981 - has some good samba rock tunes
    Carimbó e Sirimbó do Pinduca - Pinduca's 1st LP, less pop than his later ones
    Pete Dunaway - this one has a warp that kills the first 2 tracks on each side, but at least Supermarket is ok

also, highlights from the 7"s I found:

Beat Boys - Abre Sou Eu
    Os Brasas had the wrong record inside, was the one with Por Favor Abra a Janela
    Gerson Cortes - Gerson King Combo before he was King Combo, 4 great songs including Pra La de Normal

• ppadilha said:

Hi mate, I have many Brazilian psych, mpb, tropicalia and if you search some special records let me know....thanks